Buying first Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodBromiley

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Will start spring 2015 with 2 Colonies
Hi guys, I started in 2014 going to bee school. I now have hives and all I need inc NUC box. I'm eager to get bees but prefer to get bees with a decent queen rather than just buying off the first person who offers. I see this as longer term thinking as the no point in buying bees with a hysterical queen and then trying to replace. I'm based in Cheshire. Who should I approach to get decent bees with a good queen as I want to use the first colony to then maybe get a second colony or more. Kindest Regards and thank you to you all for your help and patience with my posts to date.

Go local.
I'm sure your BKA where you went to bee school will have members who sell bees. That could be a start.

Thanks. I'm keen to try and buy best rather than someone has some bees I can get.

There is no best.
You need local bees adapted to your locality. They will do best for you.
Otherwise.......google exmoor bees, a lot of us here have them; bit far from cheshire though

Do you not have a recommended Beekeeper, in your association, that can offer to sell you some bees, in our local associations, we have a nominated beekeepers, which rear queens, and sell over wintered nucs, in April/May/June.

The bees are docile, and ideally aimed at beginners.

We also have yearly auctions if Bees, (just gone in April), of beekeepers, which are parting with stock.

Also, beekeepers are offered swarms, (for free) from local swarm collectors in the association (but you take what you get with a swarm).

Andy, I don't fancy a swarm. I will contact my club. Thank you.
Do you not have a recommended Beekeeper, in your association, that can offer to sell you some bees, in our local associations, we have a nominated beekeepers, which rear queens, and sell over wintered nucs, in April/May/June.

The bees are docile, and ideally aimed at beginners.

We also have yearly auctions if Bees, (just gone in April), of beekeepers, which are parting with stock.

Also, beekeepers are offered swarms, (for free) from local swarm collectors in the association (but you take what you get with a swarm).

Swarms are free, and you take what you can get....

In my first year, I waited to obtain bees from a local beekeeper, (and pay for them) and I ended up with two swarms turning up for free, in my hives, so at that point, couldn't really empty them out..(and I wasn't trying......!)

BUT, starting with a smaller nuc, and letting them build up, I'm told is easier for the beginner....but you read, learn and cope....

always learning.....

Andy, that's really interesting. What's the chance of that lol. I just emailed my group. I am just keen to get disease free and a good queen as it will make life simpler going forward.
Thanks my friend

Andy, that's really interesting. What's the chance of that lol. I just emailed my group. I am just keen to get disease free and a good queen as it will make life simpler going forward.
Thanks my friend

I seem to be in a "hot spot" for swarms, and I have to be very careful with any equipment, wax, honey, bee equipment, kit, hives, or anything related to bees, which has "bee scent"....

or I end up with bees everywhere!

if you think that's interesting....and spooky....

X-FILES or Twilight Zone Bee related Story....

Unknown to me, a beekeeper once lived in this parish and house, in the 50s-60s, he has long since died, many many years ago....

an old woman purchased some honey from me two years ago, and is a regular now, came to my door two years ago and asked if I was the Mr Patterson's grandson......selling honey again.....(she saw the sign!), asked why I'd stopped...

I thought she was batty.....

She told me, she always bought her honey from the cottage, and he Mr Patterson had bees in the garden, just there, where my hives were...she was surprised I was not related in any way....and only purchased the house 10 years ago

She then told me that the "Bee's had returned to village, and these were his Bees!"

Speaking to older local residences, they also find it spooky, that the Bees and Beekeeper have returned to the village in the same house....., when I asked them who Mr Patterson was, and they said, oh, the old Beekeeper, that lived in your house in the 50s!....

What a lovely story. It is really nice. I just got my girlfriend to read it, she gave a big " aaaww too". That's why I love beekeeping and this forum. It because of people just like you. Thank you so much.

I don't fancy a swarm. I will contact my club. Thank you.

. I am just keen to get disease free and a good queen as it will make life simpler going forward.
Thanks my friend

a swarm will be bees from your area, doubtful anyone will sell you a colony with the 100% disease free you're looking for,

any reason you don't want a swarm? is it the collecting and handling that put's you off?

RodB I think you are being overly concerned. Your ideal bees will soon become akin to the rest of the local stock, unless you can guarantee selective breeding (you can't). Probably little chance of disease worth worrying about, even with a swarm, unless EFB (or worse) in your area. Most other bee ailments can be dealt with. All of our bees have varroa (yours will too unless you are on the Isle of Man or other V-free places). What's wrong with a swarm? You can always get the SBI or a knowledgeable beekeeper to check them out!

I've had that déjà vu before...

I am just keen to get disease free and a good queen as it will make life simpler going forward.

Any bees you buy should be disease free, but are unlikely to be varroa free.

No reason not to start off with a swarm, depending on the size you might even get some honey this year.

Hi guys, I started in 2014 going to bee school. I now have hives and all I need inc NUC box. I'm eager to get bees but prefer to get bees with a decent queen rather than just buying off the first person who offers. I see this as longer term thinking as the no point in buying bees with a hysterical queen and then trying to replace. I'm based in Cheshire. Who should I approach to get decent bees with a good queen as I want to use the first colony to then maybe get a second colony or more. Kindest Regards and thank you to you all for your help and patience with my posts to date.

I love the hysterical queen description :)
Regarding your purchase of bees, my association runs a breeding apiary and new beekeepers can purchase colonies from the association at the start of practical training each year. Have you asked your association if they offer a similar facility?

RodBromiley , you have done all the homework, built the hives and got all the other gear ready.

Understandably,now you want to start with perfect bees......

I also started off imagining myself with docile, productive, healthy bees that never swarm. My experience was that that sort of thing only occasionally occur, and in any Nuc you buy there may be a lot at variance in anyway as they develop into a large colony. The best colonies last as long as their queen, and with all the genes around you never know with their daughters either.

If you come across a swarm, take them. They may be just what you wanted. If not, you can requeen them if you want.

Just my 5pence worth, decision is of course yours.

Good luck in anyway, I trust the bees will make you happy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back