Budget Hive - Fragile Planet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fragile planet

AFAIK the whole point with these people is that they use recycled materials.

the clue is in the name.

AFAIK the whole point with these people is that they use recycled materials.

the clue is in the name.

Recycling does not justify poor quality. You can use recycled materials and achieve high quality. People seem attracted to FP more for price than planet saving.

Why buy something cheaply only to have to spend time and more money putting right what should have been done properly? False economy.

The best is generally the cheapest.

FP

I have no experience of their quality.

i was just pointing out that you can't complain about items being made of recycled timber when that is the raison d'etre of the supplier.

if quality is really poor then this should be fed back to them or people should vote with their feet/wallets and try elsewhere.

Sorry drstitson, not a dig at you...people seem to tolerate poor quality far too easily in general - I think some of this thread demonstrates that.

Isn't about getting what you pay for? I have deliberately bought from FP because they are cheap. I will only be using the boxes in the Summer for AS and in they will be tucked up in the shed in Winter. I'll seal the edges and paint them in order to get them to last and I think they will.

I rang the man today because I was mixed up about my order, and he was helpful. He doesn't yet know, that due to by very limited skills there may be quite a few more phonecalls though. ;)

I saw some of their products that were quite frankly not useable. I just thank my luck stars I saw them before I ordered...

I have their nuc box which was handy for temporarily housing a swarm (mine :blush5::blush5::blush5:) but I put it into one of Tom Bick's palaces after a week.

I have a 14 x 12 ply hive and so far its ok. I gave it a great big coating of linseed/beeswax with all cut ends sealed.

I can get ply for £1 a mm so will be making own from now on.

Supers are fine as not on over the winter.

hello all, I am very new to this site.

I recently bought a hive from Fragile Planet. It wasn't a ply one it's made from recycled wood and cost £99. I am not impressed with it. Nothing fits properly, bits were missing when it was eventually delivered and I have had to chase for the missing pieces.

I recently bought a hive from Fragile Planet. It wasn't a ply one it's made from recycled wood and cost £99. I am not impressed with it. Nothing fits properly, bits were missing when it was eventually delivered and I have had to chase for the missing pieces.

I`m beginning to see a pattern here !
This place hasn`t opened since MFI went bust has it ? :)

A warm welcome to the forum.
If the hive you bought is not 'fit for purpose' then advise FP and get your money back. They have no choice but to refund you, may take a bit of pressure but £99 pound is a lot of money
Cheers
S

We made it fit for purpose, silly I know. I should have just returned it. Still, it's a lesson learned. All I can do is try to warn other potential customers of Fragile Planet

Isn't about getting what you pay for? I have deliberately bought from FP because they are cheap. I will only be using the boxes in the Summer for AS and in they will be tucked up in the shed in Winter. I'll seal the edges and paint them in order to get them to last and I think they will.

totally agree, with you, mine are already in the shed awaiting next spring

i agree about quality control, do like their ethos but not at the expense of the product.

A warm welcome to the forum.
If the hive you bought is not 'fit for purpose' then advise FP and get your money back. They have no choice but to refund you, may take a bit of pressure but £99 pound is a lot of money
Cheers
S
Bought one of their beginner kits, mostly ok but the brood box rapidly warped and leaked bees giving access to wasps etc. The brood frames were nailed together irregularly and several fell apart when filled with stores. Emailed my concerns twice and received no reply, beware

I got my hive, bees and other stuff from FP and found them really helpful on the phone. Also as I already had my bee suit and tool hive they agreed to swap those items in their package for a hive stand, extra ply super, frames and foundation instead and I still ended up paying less than the original price for the full kit :)

So far no problems - although I've only had it for about a month. But, as they say, "watch this space"!

Latest posts

Back