Budget Hive - Fragile Planet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on thread, in response to the original question:

I bought a 14 x 12 brood box from FP earlier this year. When it arrived I was disappointed at the quality of the ply - it appeared to be no better than shuttering ply, with gaps along the edges and variations in ply thickness where layers of ply overlapped. It took me a while to fill the holes and ensure the endgrains were well sealed.

The dimensions were also a few (3-5) mm short of correct BS national figures, so fit with other BS kit is not perfect.

The FP ply brood box was was also very heavy.

The ply has already started to delaminate slightly, despite the dry summer. I now use it inside a WBC, as I dont think it would last many winters.

So all-in -all, despite the low price, I would not buy FP ply boxes again.

I have some excellent hives from Tom Bick, some good/medicore ones from other major suppliers and a few really crap ones from one of the major suppliers (name not given as it is not really representative of the company overall). But the price is a major concern to me when you suddenly realise that you "HAVE TO GO ANY BUY SOMETHING NOW" to bail you out. This is one of the reasons that I am now experimenting with Poly (BS and Langs).

Ultimately, I feel I will end up on Poly Langs. Price is good. Make up is very quick. Dimensions are spot on.

I do not want to take anything away from the likes of Tom Bick and Hivemaker et al, who make a first class product, but I will be having a mix of hives. Cedar at home (2-3 colonies), poly in out apiaries (the rest).

:party:

Last edited:
I have a peak hives nuc bought Easter 2010, very happy with it overall.

Search for posts by 'adri' and you may get a flavour of why admin doesn't rate him.

admin before i place my order......care to spill the beans?:blush5:

Not a very nice person if things dont go his way..
He kept trying to advertise even after I told him he could not.

He sent a donation to the forum,yet I returned it after I had a pm from him that is the most abusive I have ever read.

So bad I banned him for it !

As far as I am aware he does not keep bees,he is a joiner who has jumped on the bandwagon of the beekeeping craze.

Just my personal opinion..

Not sure here.

Peak hives was mentioned on the 'Anyone got a nuc I could borrow' thread. This one is Fragile Planet.

Where are you considering buying, Beeboybee?

Admin may be confused or is confusing me.

Regards, RAB

Sorry 090 my fault.

Someone recomended Peak Hives in this thread,I said I dont like the guy in reply.

Not 100% sure yet but have a growing shopping list of bits and bobs for next season. currently have two hives so want to be prepared for any splits swarms etc.... :cheers2:

Sorry 090 my fault.

Someone recomended Peak Hives in this thread,I said I dont like the guy in reply.

I found the bloke at Fragile Planet was ruddy arrogant too. Won't go again.

Bought a FP brood box and used it as a template for use with decent Ply, worked a treat.
As with most things, you get what you pay for!
Cheers

I got my Fragile Planet order yesterday. It was well packed and arrived in one piece.

The hive stand looks impressive/robust. Other stuff looks like it will do the job.

Looking at the ply to make the budget hive though, I'm a bit worried about water damage through the edges of the ply which look a bit crumbly and vulnerable.. ....it isn't delaminating, but it looks like it will weather poorly.

Please could someone advise best way to seal the edges of the ply before I try to put it together. Things I have learned to use so far are sawdust and woodglue mixture and hard as nails.... Any good for this? Please remember that I am ignorant about woodwork, so what you think is obvious may be rocket science to me.

I got my Fragile Planet order yesterday. It was well packed and arrived in one piece.

The hive stand looks impressive/robust. Other stuff looks like it will do the job.

Looking at the ply to make the budget hive though, I'm a bit worried about water damage through the edges of the ply which look a bit crumbly and vulnerable.. ....it isn't delaminating, but it looks like it will weather poorly.

Please could someone advise best way to seal the edges of the ply before I try to put it together. Things I have learned to use so far are sawdust and woodglue mixture and hard as nails.... Any good for this? Please remember that I am ignorant about woodwork, so what you think is obvious may be rocket science to me.

when i put mine together i just coated all joints and exposed cut ends with wood glue before 3 good coats of paint.
even so in a couple of places the outside lamination has started to peel so i have had to glue these as well, i think i will make my next hive out of 100% glue.:willy_nilly:.

Why not buy poly instead and put it together in 30 seconds.

KISS

PH

I got a FP pine hive - was well packaged and appears very robust - no complaints. But i wouldnt have gone for the ply ones - surely wont last long?

KISS

PH

where do you get the poly hives from? i may have a look for a christmas present for me from the misses, she always moans she does`nt know what to get me.

are they national?

and was that KISS for me?:biggrinjester:.

KISS

PH

I love poly, but my poly and wooden Langstroths are different sizes and can't be interchanged, which was very stresssful, so i just wanted to avoid getting into the same pickle with the National hives.

Latest posts

Back