How should I treat a hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete_allotments

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Dear forum,

As a beekeeper in my 2nd year, one of my hives is causing me concern, and I'm hoping the forum might guide me.

The hive went into winter feeling light.
It was fed overwinter with fondant, and survived into the spring.

On the previous inspection, I saw limited amount of brood, and limited pollen supplies. The "bee count" was low compared to my other hives.

When I inspected today, there was no eggs/larvae or capped brood, the pollen/capped honey was limited, and the "bee count" had decreased. I also noticed that there could be a heavy infestation of wax moth (trails of white across the drawn foundation).
I did not see a queen, nor were there any queen cells.

Do I assume the colony is "failing"?
Should the hive be "dismantled" and cleaned ready fo the next colony?
Should the honey be extracted or kept for other colonies?

I have a number of other hives, and would like to create a nuc form one of those and install into this hive. When would be the best time to create the nuc, and then install it in the hive?
I realise creating a nuc will reduce the honey production from the donor hive.

Any thoughts or comments to help me successfully move the hive forward.

Thanks in advance for your comments and encoragement.

no eggs/larvae or capped brood, the pollen/capped honey was limited, and the "bee count" had decreased
Bit late in the season to address the problem, Pete, but my guess is that the queen failed in the winter or early spring and the colony is now doomed.

My concern would be that stress due to the decline of a malfunctioning colony can result in disease, and I suggest you ask an experienced beekeeper or contact your local SBI today to check it out.

Here they are: Caroline Coughlin [email protected] Mobile No: 07500 891423; Julia Hoggard [email protected] Mobile No: 07900 394303; Kay Phillips [email protected] Mobile No: 07796 435125

This information is in the public domain on BeeBase; while you have a look at the site, please register if you have not already done so. You location helps the Inspectors warn beekeepers of local disease outbreaks.

I have a number of other hives, and would like to create a nuc form one of those and install into this hive. When would be the best time to create the nuc, and then install it in the hive?
I realise creating a nuc will reduce the honey production from the donor hive.
Which bees would make a new queen for the nuc?

Latest posts

Back