Buckfast F2 .... are they as bad as I'm reading about on the web??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bought Buckfast bees two times to my apiary, And I noticed that Buckfast features vanished from apiary in 3 years. It is impossible to keep wanted features in open mating.

Last edited:
They are those genes, which you bought from the queen seller. If you count from Brother Adams, perhaps we have now F 50+

B+, When you have those special Carniolan bees, they either have "original genes".

Of course we can calculate that when a human and a simpanzee genes have 1,2 % difference, we can draw a conclusion that Buckfast and Carniolan genes do not have much difference.

Rhetoric is lost on you, isn't it Finman?

Rhetoric is lost on you, isn't it Finman?

Does it make any harm to you B?
Always same questions and same answers. Where you use your splended rhetoric?

Rhetoric is art of persuation. I wonder, who heck can persuate you and is it worth of trying.

These Buckfast questions are as difficult as making sugar syrup and diluting sugar to water. Buckfast genes dilute to mongrel genes just like sugar to water.

What I need now is laugh of couple moderators. Somehow they have missunderstood their strange mission.

Last edited:
Actually, Finnie is making total sense.

It's strange how some profess that AMM, for example, no longer exist and all that remains is "mongrels". At the same time they claim Buckfast (or some other strain) to be some kind of master race, even though they only ever were mongrels.

Actually, Finnie is making total sense.

It's strange how some profess that AMM, for example, no longer exist and all that remains is "mongrels". At the same time they claim Buckfast (or some other strain) to be some kind of master race, even though they only ever were mongrels.

You are right. Or should I say: that is a mystery.

Is it possible that Buckfast could be a local bee?

I never quite understood that. Elder is common. It's everywhere - so why would an elder wand be special?

I think people mix up the terms "Elder Wand", which seems to come from the Harry Potter films and an alder(wood) wand. Alder carries both male and female catkins on the same branches and was thus thought to have a balance all of both male and female qualities. It sounds like a tree for our times!

Tree Magick by Gillian Kemp

The Alder Tree, a symbol of strength and battle, shows that you will win a battle. You may need to martial inner conflict.

The Alder's orange-red sap is associated with blood and war. An explosive argument may occur because gunpowder was made from the Alder, but so too were shields, so you are protected from harm in a challenge. You will be meeting new males and females who may become friends, predicted by the green and yellow catkins.

The males become cones; the females turn into cone-like growths. It could happen even if the chances appear slim, just as this slender, slightly branched tree can survive almost anywhere. Victory is achieved.

I think people mix up the terms "Elder Wand", which seems to come from the Harry Potter films and an alder(wood) wand. Alder carries both male and female catkins on the same branches and was thus thought to have a balance all of both male and female qualities. It sounds like a tree for our times!

The Alder Tree, a symbol of strength and battle, shows that you will win a battle. You may need to martial inner conflict.

The Alder's orange-red sap is associated with blood and war. An explosive argument may occur because gunpowder was made from the Alder, but so too were shields, so you are protected from harm in a challenge. You will be meeting new males and females who may become friends, predicted by the green and yellow catkins.

The males become cones; the females turn into cone-like growths. It could happen even if the chances appear slim, just as this slender, slightly branched tree can survive almost anywhere. Victory is achieved.

Errr...ok. That was more than I expected ;)

Back to the OP. I've had experiences with three very nasty even dangerous colonies of 'Buckfasts'. One I bought locally from a breeder who had no problems until that year when his colonies for sale turned out to be very aggressive. They hospitalised his daughter (who'd kept bees for decades), attacked me and the next door neighbour and would wait outside the house for humans to appear. Awful. Attack is the right word; they would go in a straight flight to the face and immediately sting. Had to go; no chance of requeening. The following year his bees were calm and docile. No idea about the source of semen.
The second was a colony which had been left unattended for years after the owner died. This colony set up a clear exclusion zone which was too wide for the new property owner, who reacted badly to stings, and I took them home (the hive disintegrated in the back of the car on the way) and requeened.
The third belonged to a ladies group who had missed the supercedure or swarming earlier in the year and later found that the colony was aggressive. When they started attacking farm workers, the landowner insisted that they had to go.
Do I like Buckfasts? Yes, but I think that when the time comes you have to be prepared to re-queen rather than allow mating with local drones.

Surely B+ was talking about elder, not alder.

Elder (Sambucus nigra) – British Trees - Woodland Trust

Hi Dani, that is correct and never burn it in a home as it can summon up the devil.

Or more likely, send you to see him. Elder releases cyanide when burned so in poorly ventilated peasants' cottages/hovels could kill. Likely hence why there is the associated mythology.

Latest posts

Back