Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
So much for Buckfasts, they sound very much like any other ... can be this, that or the other.
Whereas we keep movements calm around the hive, I don't see why we should have to work in slow motion in case they erupt.
I think the question still unanswered is whether these really are buckfast, or just have some buckfast in 'em.

If the behaviour has changed recently, I would have thought robbing was a strong possibility.

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Roger ,
brood area is full of uncapped honey as are the supers , also a feeder on top of supers ??? ;)

VM

barty_the_elk 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
My F2 is the hive from hell! Which i have to go see today. Full battle gear for this hive regarless of the weather. I look like the michelin man when doing this hive.

I may have to requeen this hive
If this is typical, I hope mine aren't F2s - I bought them to requeen hives that were 'unhappy'. Are suppliers obliged to provide details of provenance now that EFB and AFB are starting to spread?

Norton 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Every hive has a feeder which is always on the hive. We don't use traveling screens - just feeders. Video was during the thyme flow and the honey has been removed and supers returned to the hives for the eucalyptus flow.
Best regards
Norton.

barty_the_elk 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Every hive has a feeder which is always on the hive. We don't use traveling screens - just feeders. Video was during the thyme flow and the honey has been removed and supers returned to the hives for the eucalyptus flow.
Best regards
Norton.
Are you feeding during the honey flow or are they empty?

barty_the_elk 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I think the question still unanswered is whether these really are buckfast, or just have some buckfast in 'em.

If the behaviour has changed recently, I would have thought robbing was a strong possibility.
I'll let you know if the supplier tells me what their antecedents are

Monsieur Abeille 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
None of my own
I'm struck by how dramatically different generations can change. Last year I received a queen with a swarm, so don't know origin, and they were all quite jolly. Her daughter though turned out a real mean one. Now the granddaughter seems to be producing friendly sorts again.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I'm struck by how dramatically different generations can change. Last year I received a queen with a swarm, so don't know origin, and they were all quite jolly. Her daughter though turned out a real mean one. Now the granddaughter seems to be producing friendly sorts again.
Hmm - reminds me of my mother in law - wife's grandmother is lovely still rushes up to me and treats me the same as when i was three (I'm 44 now):D

Latest posts