Broken glass jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are all missing the point. If they come damaged, under the distance sale of good s act you can insist they resend!
E

Mine too!

If there was a broken jar the whole lot would have to be scrapped to conform to regs!:(:(:mad::mad:

Nos da

I'm calling you out, @icanhopit. Ireckon the OP's jars and Hivemaker. 's 50,000 are safe. Under S21 of the Food Safety Act 1990 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/16/pdfs/ukpga_19900016_en.pdf there is no offence (i.e. the jars can be used) if "[he can] prove that he took all reasonable precautions and exercised all due diligence to avoid the commission of the offence ". I'd need to dig out a precedent but checking and washing all jars in the same shipment would count as "reasonable precautions and due diligence".

do they? mine just come in boxes of ninety shrink wrapped on a pallet

yes .. I buy 8oz and 12oz hexagonal - they come in boxes of either 18 (from memory) or 12 and they are packed with a layer of bubble wrap above and below the jars ... then the boxes are packed in outer boxes of about 96 jars (I think) in total. I usually buy about 200 of each at a time when they are on sale. Lovely jars - sets me aside from the plain jar local competition. Not immensely cheap - even when on promotion but it's added value to a product that's already good ...

http://www.jarsandbottles-store.co.uk/index.php/12oz-hexagonal-jar.html

I have never had a problem from F&H. Always packed well.

I have bought honey jars before from beekeeping suppliers, sent through the post, usually Fedex, I must have been unlucky this time, 10 were smashed with broken and powdered glass filling the unbroken jars. Has anybody else had deliveries of jars that had obviously not been carefully handled by the couriers? The suppliers are aware there is a risk, (ha, my risk I should say!) and should, I think, take pains to pack their product with thicker bubble wrap at least, and protect the corners of the box with foam strips? 20 quid down the drain, and on top of another glass bottle supplier selling 8oz jars suitable for honey that needs 10oz to fill to the top of the rim. Will be collecting jars in the future, and not using beekeeping suppliers, especialy ones that shout out on their website that the risk is all on the buyers and no redress from suppliers/couriers. I think they must have been trying to tell me something!

Why would you fill a jar to the top of the rim?

Surely the suppliers have failed to ensure the product is despatched properly and they are therefore liable.

I'm calling you out, @icanhopit. Ireckon the OP's jars and Hivemaker. 's 50,000 are safe. Under S21 of the Food Safety Act 1990 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/16/pdfs/ukpga_19900016_en.pdf there is no offence (i.e. the jars can be used) if "[he can] prove that he took all reasonable precautions and exercised all due diligence to avoid the commission of the offence ". I'd need to dig out a precedent but checking and washing all jars in the same shipment would count as "reasonable precautions and due diligence".

You would need to write that into your HACCP
However I did read somewhere in the miles of government scriptures on packaging that the consignment has to be scrapped if even one broken glass bottle is found.... also covered in the level 2 Food safety under the heading of Food Spoilage... physical contamination.

However I am still seeing jars of honey in recycled odd and even chipped containers with old lids... improper labels and all the usual givaways that the producer has little idea of the regulations!

Yeghes da

Last edited:
Why would you fill a jar to the top of the rim?

Surely the suppliers have failed to ensure the product is despatched properly and they are therefore liable.

Sorry wrong choice of words, filled so that no gap shows. Customers will think they have been short changed, and I don't want to sell 10oz jars, I thought I was buying 8oz jars suitable for honey, but the wording on their website actually says suitable for 8oz - 10oz of product, my mistake but their website I think should be a little clearer.
I agree the suppliers failed to ensure the jars were despatched properly and should be liable, but never mind, life's too short.... from the disclaimer on Paynes website looks like Roger has dug his heels in and ain't going to budge, don't want to test that!

Attachments

• Photo0259 (600x800).jpg
    Photo0259 (600x800).jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back