Broken glass jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzi Q

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have bought honey jars before from beekeeping suppliers, sent through the post, usually Fedex, I must have been unlucky this time, 10 were smashed with broken and powdered glass filling the unbroken jars. Has anybody else had deliveries of jars that had obviously not been carefully handled by the couriers? The suppliers are aware there is a risk, (ha, my risk I should say!) and should, I think, take pains to pack their product with thicker bubble wrap at least, and protect the corners of the box with foam strips? 20 quid down the drain, and on top of another glass bottle supplier selling 8oz jars suitable for honey that needs 10oz to fill to the top of the rim. Will be collecting jars in the future, and not using beekeeping suppliers, especialy ones that shout out on their website that the risk is all on the buyers and no redress from suppliers/couriers. I think they must have been trying to tell me something!

there is not a single courier in the Uk that will cover the transport of glass
( along with other things )
damage is not the fault of the supplier, at times it might not be the fault of the courier it is simply one of those things. couriers handle thousands upon thousands of parcels a day it is simple maths and logic at some point something is going to get broken.
if you want suppliers to take more time and use more packing before sending out then the cost of all this will and should be reflected in the price you pay for carriage. yet then they would be accused of overcharging for carriage and the glass items are still not covered against damage.

I have bought honey jars before from beekeeping suppliers, sent through the post, usually Fedex, I must have been unlucky this time, 10 were smashed with broken and powdered glass filling the unbroken jars. Has anybody else had deliveries of jars that had obviously not been carefully handled by the couriers? The suppliers are aware there is a risk, (ha, my risk I should say!) and should, I think, take pains to pack their product with thicker bubble wrap at least, and protect the corners of the box with foam strips? 20 quid down the drain, and on top of another glass bottle supplier selling 8oz jars suitable for honey that needs 10oz to fill to the top of the rim. Will be collecting jars in the future, and not using beekeeping suppliers, especialy ones that shout out on their website that the risk is all on the buyers and no redress from suppliers/couriers. I think they must have been trying to tell me something!

Was this Paynes and Fedex by any chance?

ADD "selling 8oz jars suitable for honey that needs 10oz to fill to the top of the rim" seems to be a general problem. Cost me alot of honey before I cottoned on.

there is not a single courier in the Uk that will cover the transport of glass

When you buy from Pattesons they do. I have a live issue at the moment in that someone needs to take a delivery and inspect.

Last edited:
Hi pattersons cover damage of there own backs which is good of them

I buy my jars from Wynne Jones and always really pleased with how they are packed... always quick delivery overnight on pallet and never had a broken jar.

I am not going to argue the point yet until I have looked it up but if you ordered on line I am pretty certain they have to ensure the item is delivered unbroken. It has to be fit for use when it arrives and if it isn't then it is the responsibility of the seller. They in turn can claim back off the delivery firm. I will try and find a link to the above
E
Not sure if this link will work, if not just google it, it is the responsibility of the seller to ensure they arrive unbroken
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-received-damaged-goods-in-the-post-what-can-i-do

Last edited:
Hi pattersons cover damage of there own backs which is good of them

+1 But their packaging is just about bomb proof - never had a single jar broken - and Fedex have been brilliant.

They pack their jars in small boxes with bubble wrap and then in outer boxes that are really sturdy and labelled FRAGILE

Pattersons bubble wrapped...? .ha ha ...I get mine delivered in the same way as Mr Jenkins....

Was this Paynes and Fedex by any chance?

ADD "selling 8oz jars suitable for honey that needs 10oz to fill to the top of the rim" seems to be a general problem. Cost me alot of honey before I cottoned on.

When you buy from Pattesons they do. I have a live issue at the moment in that someone needs to take a delivery and inspect.

Yes, it was. Thanks for the heads up about Pattesons...

Mine too!

If there was a broken jar the whole lot would have to be scrapped to conform to regs!:(:(:mad::mad:

Nos da

Do you mean I should chuck 62 jars in the recycling bin? Thought I might rinse, and put through the dishwasher, although I feel a bit iffy about doing that.

I am not going to argue the point yet until I have looked it up but if you ordered on line I am pretty certain they have to ensure the item is delivered unbroken. It has to be fit for use when it arrives and if it isn't then it is the responsibility of the seller. They in turn can claim back off the delivery firm. I will try and find a link to the above
E
Not sure if this link will work, if not just google it, it is the responsibility of the seller to ensure they arrive unbroken
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-received-damaged-goods-in-the-post-what-can-i-do

:iagree:
The Sale of Goods Act 1979 specifies that. The Act has been amended several times since the 1800's, when it was first enacted, but the fundemental principals still remain.

I suppose that transportations are insured and insuarance company pays the spoiled things.

Latest posts

Back