Breeding Stock

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
Today I took delivery of my new breeding stock, I intend to rear my future queens from these two queens, one is from Dr. Peter Stöfen in Germany and the other from Keld Brandstup in Denmark. I have used Keld island mated queens in the past and they produce very good F1's. I purchased a further queen from another breeder on recommendation from a commercial beekeeper.

Attachments

• Queens 2018.jpg
    Queens 2018.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 62
Today I took delivery of my new breeding stock, I intend to rear my future queens from these two queens, one is from Dr. Peter Stöfen in Germany and the other from Keld Brandstup in Denmark. I have used Keld island mated queens in the past and they produce very good F1's. I purchased a further queen from another breeder on recommendation from a commercial beekeeper.

Do you intend to test them first? I suppose, if they're being sold as "breeder" queens they've already been tested?

You mean Keld is now giving advanced notice of when he is sending his queens out?
He must be improving.

Emailed me saying the island mated queen would be sent on the 9th.how long did yours take to arrive Brian.

Won’t go far wrong with Peter Stofens bees, my breeding queens come from him and not had a bad one yet!
S

You mean Keld is now giving advanced notice of when he is sending his queens out?
He must be improving.

Yes I actually had an email off him to say its was being posted on Monday (but I did send an email asking him). Peter always sends an email.

Do you intend to test them first? I suppose, if they're being sold as "breeder" queens they've already been tested?

I didn't say they were 'Breeder Queens' they are both Island and Peninsula mated queens from their selected 'Breeding Stock' which of course has been tested. The title was 'Breeding Stock', and that I was going to use them to raise queens, I only raise F1 queens from them, the ones I have raised off my previous Keld queen has performed as best as I would have expected, they are prolific and very calm. I am not a breeder and I don't intend to test them, I am more than happy with the queens they give me.

Last edited:
Yes I actually had an email off him to say its was being posted on Monday (but I did send an email asking him). Peter always sends an email.

Peter tells you in January the dates he sends his queens out. Teutonic efficiency exemplified.
Kelds queens used to just turn up unexpectedly. In one instance they were found in the coal bunker as postie realised what they were and put them somewhere cool...he left a note.

Theirs and many other registered Buckfast breeders are all excellent, but there are variations between the queens. One of Kelds island mated queens is currently struggling to lay 6 frames... presumed a one off. Also had one of the best queens I've ever had from him....until she simply ran out of sperm. She could lay for England and would have run out and got your washing off the line for you if she thought you hadn't noticed it started to rain.

I would have said some good advice for buying Buckfast queens is if they advertise in the glossies avoid... until I saw Keld advertising in the BBKA-magazine. Seems their no imports policy doesn't extend to refusing advertising revenue. Or perhaps it's still good advice ;)

Last edited:

How did your 2018 breeding stock perform, Nantmoel?

Our new breeder stock arrived last week.... DNA tested Cornish Native Amm... from the Rame Penninsular..... probably unavailable as yet to most!

Yeghes da

Our new breeder stock arrived last week.... DNA tested Cornish Native Amm... from the Rame Penninsular..... probably unavailable as yet to most!

Yeghes da

well, give me a shout if they are ever available to folks outside of Cornwall :)

You are calling them "breeder stock" so, presumably, you have tested their performance?

I started keep Buckfasts 5 years ago. I have evaluated them comparing to Italians. I have not "test" them. The most difficult is to maintain Buckfast genome in my apiary in Italian environment. But I do not hang myself into those ideas as long as Buckfast x Italian works well.

That "breeders stock " is as well difficult to maintein in open mating.

You are calling them "breeder stock" so, presumably, you have tested their performance?

Yes indeed... not by me.. but by others..... some showing VSH !

Rare as hens teeth, hopefully we can build up stock so that other beekeepers can enjoy them as well.

Chons da

Yes indeed... not by me.. but by others..... some showing VSH !

Rare as hens teeth, hopefully we can build up stock so that other beekeepers can enjoy them as well.

Chons da

You've got that backwards. They're not breeders until they have been tested and proven worthy relative to others. What do you mean, "showing VSH"? The VSH test is a lot of work...it comes after the performance test and only on those that are highly hygienic.
Methinks you are pulling my leg.

You've got that backwards. They're not breeders until they have been tested and proven worthy relative to others. What do you mean, "showing VSH"? The VSH test is a lot of work...it comes after the performance test and only on those that are highly hygienic.
Methinks you are pulling my leg.

Trying not to... will send you a PM as some on here will only get testy!!

Cheers

Slightly off topic what are Dr Peter's economy queens like please? Not to breed from but for production hives as ive ordered 3 to make up nucs to increase my hives

How did your 2018 breeding stock work out, Nantmoel?

Back