2021 Amc BeeBreed Lines

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B+.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
Some of you may be interested in the following (which I posted elswhere). Some of you won't be interested at all - let's not have the usual bun-fight please.

I've just received 8 island mated queens from The Netherlands. They are all daughters of NL-55-3-8-2018 (Class A körschein) but form 2 distinct groups:

6 are full-sibs (same maternal and paternal heritage) mated on the Dutch island of Vlieland to drones from 9 daughter colonies of DE-6-131-8-2017-K (Class Av körschein).

2 are full sibs (same maternal and paternal heritage) mated on the German island of Norderney to drones from 40 daughters of DE-7-45-363-2017 (This is the C-Varroatoleranz line with Class Av körschein).

The expected breeding values, inbreeding coefficient, etc for the Vlieland-mated group is shown here (https://www2.hu-berlin.de/beebreed/...2a=2018&l4a=DE&lv4a=6&z4a=131&nr4a=8&j4a=2017
) while the same information for the Norderney-mated group is shown here (https://www2.hu-berlin.de/beebreed/...a=2018&l4a=DE&lv4a=7&z4a=45&nr4a=363&j4a=2017
).

In Beebreed, we aim to occupy around a third of our test colonies with queens from other breeders to ensure that scoring is consistent so these 8 will join the two from Meileneiche (Germany) I received last month in my test group for next year.

If anyone intends to sit module 7 or the Bee Breeders Certificate with the BBKA, this is the sort of evidence you will have to provide.

Grandma

For a starting point try:

hu-berlin.de/beebreed/ZWS/zw/koenigin.php?p_land=NL&p_landesverband=55&p_zuechter=3&p_buchnr=8&p_jahr=2018

but put https://www2. in front of it

Sadly the bee breed.EU links only show up a database error.

My apologies. I'm not sure what happened there. I'll try to insert the link a different way.

The two that were mated on Norderney were mated to drones produced by 40 daughters of a C-VarroaToleranz line developed at Kirchhain. The link to the expected breeding values from this union should be here.
The six that were mated on Vlieland were mated to 9 daughters of a different queen.If you look at the expected breeding values here, these should perform better in all traits.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

My apologies. I'm not sure what happened there. I'll try to insert the link a different way.

The two that were mated on Norderney were mated to drones produced by 40 daughters of a C-VarroaToleranz line developed at Kirchhain. The link to the expected breeding values from this union should be here.
The six that were mated on Vlieland were mated to 9 daughters of a different queen.If you look at the expected breeding values here, these should perform better in all traits.

I'm happy to answer any questions.
Following this latest link arrives at the page but gives "Following errors occured: 2a NL-55-3-8-2018 - For this colony, no breeding values are available." Then I spotted a login button - so is your link only available to you as a "member" ?

Following this latest link arrives at the page but gives "Following errors occured: 2a NL-55-3-8-2018 - For this colony, no breeding values are available." Then I spotted a login button - so is your link only available to you as a "member" ?

No. Anyone can access these pages. I think I somehow messed up the link in the first post. Try the links I posted immediately above your last post - click the word "here"

Last edited:
No. Anyone can access these pages. I think I somehow messed up the link in the first post. Try the links I posted immediately above your last post - click the word "here"

Still comes up as a database error.

Still comes up as a database error.

I can't explain that. It works fine for me even though I'm not logged in. Those pages are free-access. It's only the "Breeding Data" and "Administration" categories that are restricted to breeders.

To access the information:
1. Click "Breeding values" on the menu bar above the line.
2. Select "Canica - main population" in the drop-down menu
3. Click "Individual breed planning" about half-way down the page under "Planning your breeding: Breeding values and inbreeding coefficient of potential offspring"
4. Enter the 2a (maternal line) and 4a (potential mate)

The 2a of the whole group is Bart Bartens queen NL-55-3-8-2018 so they will all be half-sisters.
The 4a at Vlieland is Andreas Rohes DE-6-131-8-2017 (paternal grandmother). On Norderney it is the Kirchhain bee institutes DE-7-45-363-2017.

This makes the Vlieland group full sisters and the Norderney group full sisters - so there are two distinct groups even though they are all related on the maternal side. Obviously, if I were to cross individuals between these groups, inbreeding would go up as they all have the same mother. I have plenty of other lines to do this though so I probably wouldn't do it anyway

Last edited:
I've just received 8 island mated queens from The Netherlands. They are all daughters of NL-55-3-8-2018 (Class A körschein) but form 2 distinct groups:

6 are full-sibs (same maternal and paternal heritage) mated on the Dutch island of Vlieland to drones from 9 daughter colonies of DE-6-131-8-2017-K (Class Av körschein).

I mentioned the breeding licence (körschein in German - pronounced cur-shine) above but didn't really explain what they meant. The requirements for each class are explained here.

Hi

The "breeding values to be expected" are "Varroa-index" "109"
Question: what assessing / testing is performed to reach this number? Is a value of 100 given if 100% of cells in a Pin Test are uncapped (or started to be) and then the value increases if 100% is achieved in a shorter time period?

In the "Breeding Class Requirements" a "Class Av" requires "2 Varroa criteria assessed".
Question: I thought the only assessment would have been a hygiene test in the form of a Pin Test, or is also a Freeze Kill Brood Test performed as well? Or does it mean two different members of beebreed.eu perform independant assessments?

(Thank you very much for posting this, I have been trying to figure out how beebreed 'worked', this helps a lot)

Hi

The "breeding values to be expected" are "Varroa-index" "109"
Question: what assessing / testing is performed to reach this number? Is a value of 100 given if 100% of cells in a Pin Test are uncapped (or started to be) and then the value increases if 100% is achieved in a shorter time period?

In the "Breeding Class Requirements" a "Class Av" requires "2 Varroa criteria assessed".
Question: I thought the only assessment would have been a hygiene test in the form of a Pin Test, or is also a Freeze Kill Brood Test performed as well? Or does it mean two different members of beebreed.eu perform independant assessments?

(Thank you very much for posting this, I have been trying to figure out how beebreed 'worked', this helps a lot)

There are two components of the varroa index. The first is the rate of increase in the infestation throughout the season (i.e. taking a baseline at the start of the season with natural mite drop over at least 21 days (mites/day) and drawing a line of best fit through several samples taken from the super and washed with soapy water (mites/10g)). The second is the hygiene test where 50 purple-eyed pupae cells are pierced and the number of opened cells after 5 hours is counted. You get a percentage by multiplying this number by 2.
Each colony is tested throughout the season for several different traits and the results entered into the system. When the breeder is satisfied that all of the information is complete, he releases it for approval by the breeding supervisor (in the case of the Dutch group, this is Prof. Brascamp). The breeding supervisor has an opportunity to question anything that looks "interesting" before he/she approves it. The breeding values are calculated and published by Hohen Neundorf in mid-February the following year. It looks at the relationships and performance of each colony and compares it to a 5-year moving average. This gives a normal distribution with the mean at 100% and each 10% above, or below, the mean representing 1 standard deviation. You can use z-scores to analyse this further but to illustrate this with an example; a queen (and her colony) which scores 120% in a given trait will be 2s.d. above the mean and better than ~98% of queens. This makes them highly desirable by those seeking to develop that trait. However, it is best to develop across all traits rather than focus on only one (the other traits usually deteriorate if you do this).

A lot of additional information is available here (https://www2.hu-berlin.de/beebreed/ZWS/do/index.php )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back