Breeding from superseded queen's.

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brother Adam is a good start, Laidlaw and Eckert, Steve Taber, but to be honest, I haven't read that much on queen breeding, just a bit on queen rearing. Doolittle's 'scientific Queen rearing' another look at how it was done.

I always go back to Queen Bee: Biology, Rearing and Breeding by Woodward, David, as a recommendation for a queen rearing book.

I always go back to Queen Bee: Biology, Rearing and Breeding by Woodward, David, as a recommendation for a queen rearing book.

+1

A great guide.

I have several books on Q rearing and breeding. Although getting a bit long in the tooth I quite like

Breeding techniques and selection for breeding of ther honeybee by Friedrich Ruttner (English translation by the A and E Milner).

There is going to be a BBKA news special edition on Queen rearing coming out in time for the 2019 spring convention edited by Marin Anastasov (featuring some of my photos).

No doubt the anti-BBKA brigade on this forum will find loads in it to complain about.

If it's as poorly written and as full of inaccuracies as most of the other bumf it churns out, doubtless

Will probably be cut and paste from those who have dictated the way that things must be done.... have a great appendix of Veggie recipes and nothing about Instrumental Insemination or Native bees.. or Carnolian beer.... or.....

:calmdown:

I have several books on Q rearing and breeding. Although getting a bit long in the tooth I quite like

Breeding techniques and selection for breeding of ther honeybee by Friedrich Ruttner (English translation by the A and E Milner).

There is going to be a BBKA news special edition on Queen rearing coming out in time for the 2019 spring convention edited by Marin Anastasov (featuring some of my photos).

No doubt the anti-BBKA brigade on this forum will find loads in it to complain about.

Why is there an anti-BBKA brigade ?
I'm the youngest beekeeper in my association and I feel like a right outsider my suggestions get scoffed at because they don't comply with the BBKA way of doing things .
I still want to get on the board though . It won't stop me .

I found Cramp to be a pretty lightweight tome (especially his first book), even for a beginner.
Lots of better books out there

I agree, the worst bee author I've encountered, as JBM says lightweight, also I found the style irritatingly self congratulatory, I can't remember which book of his I gave a go, it was soon put down and not picked up again. It was that bad I think it's the only book I've let the wife take to the charity shops of all my bee library, and there's a few bad ones in there e.g.. anybody else come across " The art and craft of beekeeping " ? That's one that won't survive the next purge.

...I feel like a right outsider my suggestions get scoffed at because they don't comply with the BBKA way of doing things .

I’m curious: can you give an example of a suggestion (or suggestions) that got scoffed at?

I’m curious: can you give an example of a suggestion (or suggestions) that got scoffed at?

I don't want to say to much, but suffice to say when you contridict your peers they don't like it.

I would not last two minutes among that crowd and probably get flung out of the association rather quickly..:spy:

The thing is I've put my name forward for nomination to be on the board and I've quite a bit of support funny enough.

The thing is I've put my name forward for nomination to be on the board and I've quite a bit of support funny enough.

Not funny at all Curly, there is always support for the man who is prepared to stick his head above the parapet. They are all glad it's not them!! 😊

Why is there an anti-BBKA brigade ?
I'm the youngest beekeeper in my association and I feel like a right outsider my suggestions get scoffed at because they don't comply with the BBKA way of doing things .

Anyone who dares to challenge the BBKA dogma will get a good hiding to nowhere... ask B+ for one... me for another!
Do not despair ...

Good luck

Bbka

Some of them don't have a sense of humour either. I know of someone who made a jokey comment on the BBKA forum about "messy" oxalic (thought to be known as apibiox.....). Next day all his posts had been removed from the site and apparently when he logged in was told, "You are permanently banned from posting on this board" or words to that effect. I think he requested an explanation and was met with no response. So if his post had inappropriate content it was so terrible that it wasn't worth an explanation.
He suggests to anyone thinking of posting on that forum, don't make jokes or even any polite humour. They don't seem able to take it.
Needless to say he has now given up on forums.

Admin, do you give reasons if you decide to ban someone from this site? Just curious.

I know of someone who made a jokey comment on the BBKA forum about "messy" oxalic (thought to be known as apibiox.....). Next day all his posts had been removed from the site

No surprise there, if you know about how it was brought to market in the UK.

Back