Bookers 7 Day Special on Granulated Sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlievictorbravo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - 14x12
I've just had an email flyer from B**kers advertising their new 7 day special - 15 kg of Silver Spoon for £10.99 with a limit of 20 cases per customer. That works out at 73 pence per kilo.

I always look in their "Damaged Goods" display because they often have 25 kg bags for as low as 65 pence a kilo

Looks like a pretty good deal.

CVB

Ours is doing 2 x 25kg bags for £35 which works out to 70p a kilo, if you need that sort of quantity that is. Good to stock up if you can keep the mice away.

Hardly seems worth it when the supermarkets are doing 5kg for £3.99 (80p), given that you can collect nectar/club card points, can get 5p a litre of fuel when spending £50 on a shop, when there are various vouchers that keep coming through the door (yesterday I received a £4 off when you spend £30) and Bookers would have to be a special trip (time and money) whereas most of is go to the supermarket anyway.

Lidl are doing it for 75p a kilo at the moment, well they were in Bristol Emersons Green

I was under the impression that you should use cane sugar for bees as in Tate & Lyle and not beet sugar as in Silver Spoon.
I know that I can easily tell the difference so I'm sure that bees can. But does beet sugar really do any harm?

I was under the impression that you should use cane sugar for bees as in Tate & Lyle and not beet sugar as in Silver Spoon.
I know that I can easily tell the difference so I'm sure that bees can. But does beet sugar really do any harm?

Use ONLY white sugar. Not brown, not 'gold'. Only white for bees.

Then no difference.
Really.
Its a bit of an FAQ because, long, long, long ago beet sugar processing was a bit 'iffy'.
Nowadays, they are both 99.9 something % pure sucrose. The same stuff.

My local Tesco are putting their damaged bags into a dustbin I left them - cost 0p/kg ;-)

Latest posts

Back