sugar brands and prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

As some brands of sugar contain 'nastys' (Sulphates\whatever else), I have tended to play it safe and stuck to silver spoon (cheapest I have seen Asda 2Kg pack = 87p per Kg)

However, I note that Tesco sell Tate and Lyle, which is only 82p per Kg (2Kg packs).

Does T&L contain any undesirables??

Is there a 'safe' and\or 'unsafe' list documented anywhere?

Any other good prices about with 'safe' brands? The last couple of years Bookers has been relatively expensive...

Cheers
Pete

just found a recent thread whilst I was on holiday!:blush5:

Been in to buy some more sugar from Bookers today.
25 kg bags are now £19.49

I am sure I paid around £24 last time, so looks like a price reduction.

It is same sugar, what ever it is.

It cannot be noneatable when it sold to consumption.

Convoluted but precise.

But no doubt the annual sugar discussion is about to break out...

PH

As some brands of sugar contain 'nastys' (Sulphates\whatever else) ...

I don't believe that any brands of white granulated sugar, sold in the UK, contain any 'nasties'.

If you have any such evidence, Pete, please share it!

It is better to call to police that they evacuate at once the whole England.
Wales and Scotland may remain as test rabit. Ferriers cannot move all.

Are Tescos still £3.99 for 5kg?
/ which would be £19.95 for 25kg ...

My local Tescos have got new stock in of 5kg bags at £3.99. Got 5, that should be enough for me to be going on with.

FarmFoods 2kg for £1.50 is as cheap as Makro and far more convenient.

As for nasties in sugar, better tell the FSA and get them to close down every supermarket in the UK...:conehead:

Brown sugar has antinasty incrediment E521.
And don't forget to give to hives antihoneynasti incrediment E522.

And antinasty natural like aromatic oil E323

antinasty breakdown component E2012

I thought it was icing sugar that contained 'nasties'. I knew there was some belief backalong that beet sugar was dodgy for bees but thought that it had been quashed long ago, shows how much I know.

Some shop bought honey contain notifyable diseases for bees.
The FSA is not interested in bee health.

nasties = sulphides, anti-caking agents, etc (still undecided?) http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8426&highlight=morrisons

pete! Question is so serious that you must call at once to the police.
You get no help from this forum.

If you feel personally that sugar is dangerous stop eating it but don't try to compare things to your fobias.

Honey has bee disease spores. It includes too 150 diffrent bacterium, yeast and what ever buggs.even spiders' legs and banana flye wings.

And Pete. Look under your nail what it has: anticoagulants, chips, excrecete of nose, ear wax....

Last edited:
Costco was about 72p per Kg (in 15x 1Kg packets).

But that was about 6 weeks ago and you need to be a member or have a friend who is a member.

nasties = sulphides, anti-caking agents, etc (still undecided?) http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8426&highlight=morrisons

Read that thread right through. Morrisons sugar contains ... sugar!

I investigated the amount of anti-caking agent in table salt for meat and fish curing. Turns out to be about a teaspoonful per ton.
And that the daily safe dose of the agent was actually much bigger than the safe dose of the salt itself!
I believe that any 'impurities' in sugar are similarly irrelevant. Even in icing sugar. For bees and humans.

I investigated the amount of anti-caking agent in table salt for meat and fish curing. Turns out to be about a teaspoonful per ton.
And that the daily safe dose of the agent was actually much bigger than the safe dose of the salt itself!
I believe that any 'impurities' in sugar are similarly irrelevant. Even in icing sugar. For bees and humans.

I agree. If its white sugar fit for humans it is fit for bees.
The amounts of 'nasty' substances contained as impurities is minute and does not present any problems.

Been in to buy some more sugar from Bookers today.
25 kg bags are now £19.49

I am sure I paid around £24 last time, so looks like a price reduction.

Loose sugar in cash and carry's has been about that price for quite a few months now. but Bookers have an offer on bags of 15x1 kg ending this weekend i think which is 2p a kilo cheaper

Was in Tescos (Boston) yesterday, T&L sugar still £3.99/5Kgs

Need to make-up some pollen substitute in a hurry - any ideas where I can source Soy Flour and Brewers Yeast (in Kg amounts) - nowt in Tesco - Holland&Barret look a bit pricey.

Back