Blow torch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use one of these, I am not allowed to say the name but works fine and a reasonable price although not as cheap as they use to be but one good thing they don't need refilling ;)

ooh, found an everfull matchbox?

I use one of these, I am not allowed to say the name but works fine and a reasonable price although not as cheap as they use to be but one good thing they don't need refilling ;)

WOW!! Is that the new iMatch 5?

Old fashioned method. Unfortunately the bees had swarmed by the time they got the smoker lit...

rrowab.jpg

Old fashioned method. Unfortunately the bees had swarmed by the time they got the smoker lit...

The old fashioned methods are often more reliable than new-fangled gadgets.

Furthermore, those guys in the pic likely get their fire 'going nicely' somewhat faster than some on the forum get their smokers to stay alight (after reading about 'smoker woes' in some of the threads!)

Apply said blowtorch to newspaper in bottom of smoker, add egg box bits, feed with nicely rotten wood; puff well and enjoy copious amounts of smoke for a minimum 5-hive inspection. Works for me (mostly).

Apply said blowtorch to newspaper in bottom of smoker, add egg box bits, feed with nicely rotten wood; puff well and enjoy copious amounts of smoke for a minimum 5-hive inspection. Works for me (mostly).

This is EXACTLY what I do and it works for me an all.

Do you roll the newspaper first into some kind of fire knot?
Or not? :)

acabee

The old fashioned methods are often more reliable than new-fangled gadgets.

Furthermore, those guys in the pic likely get their fire 'going nicely' somewhat faster than some on the forum get their smokers to stay alight (after reading about 'smoker woes' in some of the threads!)

:iagree:

acabee

Not necessary. Newspaper is optional just to get the eggy card going. Egg box will go for long enough to get the wood smouldering well. Job jobbed.

Smokers work well with a sustained cool smouldering heat, flames will mean too fierce a burn (unsuitable fuel) and at the other extreme a reluctance to smoulder will have you lighting and relighting (the bees can sense the moment that it will go out - ready to gang up on you)!

I chuckle at the timeless photos of beekeepers of old, no veils but pipe full of baccy smoking away like a chimney :)

Hi i was in LIDLs today they are selling a TURBO FLEXI gas lighter with a protane/butane refill can £3.99/ Wind resistant flame the neck is flexiable. Andy

acabee

Er .. Not.

I take out the inner mesh thing with a hive tool, put a small peice of un knotted newspaper about the size of a5 in it . About enough egg box on top of this that would have held 2 eggs or covered 2 eggs. Then a sensible amount of rotten wood loosely on top. probably about a fist full. Fire it up with the thingy me bob then as everything collapses into the mesh thing, I put more rotten wood on. Then I put the mesh thing into the smoker, fill it up as full a possible with rotten wood and Fanny is my Auntie and I put my (vinyl) gloves on.

The gloves go on my hands, not in the smoker btw.

Lighters

whatever lighter you use make sure to turn off before dropping into bee suit pocket ,ony damage to my 10 year s****** suit large hole in pocket,,lucky lighter nozzle was facing outwards :calmdown:

Hi i was in LIDLs today they are selling a TURBO FLEXI gas lighter with a protane/butane refill can £3.99/ Wind resistant flame the neck is flexiable. Andy

And microscopes again!
A bigger box than last time they were on sale.

Also not as efficient as my blowtorch if there is any breath of wind...

I bought one of these last week. I think it's probably better than the Thrones microjet. It has the same, strong, small blow torch flame , lights every time and less fiddly than the microjet.

Back