Blackout

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes
And candle burning
Sat in caravan in Anglesey

Yep and candle

To remember every one who died in the first world war including the nearly 50000 Irish men.

I'm sitting here, typing by the light of a single candle as my act of remembrance and across the mighty Hamoaze River, the lights from 1st Assault Group Royal Marines depot are blazing away.

Bootnecks never were very good at reading newspapers - or reading anything, come to that! Somebody should have sent them some pictures!

CVB

ps - just noticed that HMNB Devonport is lit up like a Christmas tree so maybe it's MoD policy to leave all the lights on as an act of remembrance! Apologies to 1AGRM.

Sitting in Dark watching Westminster Abbey Service on BBC2, very moving.

Hampshire Police (and my office) commemorated it at 3.00pm with everyone outside in the sunshine and holding a 2 minutes silence at 3.00pm. It was voluntary but everyone turned out ...

100 years anniversary of the beginning of world war 1

I know nothing about the first world war thou seeing as everyone is turning their lights off, ill do mine for them poor men, women and children in gaza as we speak. Ive seen some horrible stuff in my time growing up during a war myself in belfast at the height of the troubles but these scenes coming out of gaza are something else. RIP!

WW1 made the trouble in gaza look like a spat. 500,000 killed in a day.
No war has come close since thankfully.
Gaza is just land stealing and a criminal act not a war it's only a war when you fight an army.
The WW1 poetry makes you think how lucky we are now.

Didn't know anything about the candle thing until about an hour ago. Had to google to find out, but a bit gimmicky for me.

It is a bit of a gimmick.
My wife and myself went to the national arboretum this year because we both lost family in 14/18 war.
I was looking at a bronze statue of a WW1 soldier, it was great Detail and an emotional piece. Real conversation starter.
Unfortunately they had sold out but there was another lot for sale later in the year. Price was £120 new prise was £320 because it was the centenary year.
They weren't marked that way if you wanted a centenary year one it was POA lol

a bit gimmicky for me.

It is a bit of a gimmick.

'Scuse me - but I did it because I wanted to honour millions of men and women who gave their lives / were slaughtered in the industrialised carnage of war. I gave up a measly hour to think about our collective inhumanity and about their individual courage and sacrifice.

On the other hand, I suppose my time of reflection being dismissed as a gimmick, is nowt compared to the experience of the wives, children and mothers of the Accrington pals.

Ok. Carry on being dismissive guys.

Dusty

please take my post in context.

Latest posts

Back