Early stages

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyDro

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hello everyone,
New beekeeper here, hoping to start next spring, joined the local association and signed up for a practical course with them.
Andy.

Welcome. Excellent start Andy ... this forum will answer a lot of the questions the course will raise ! Don't be afraid to ask, there's a beginners section where we play nicely so ask away. Add your actual location to your profile as answers are often specific to where you keep your bees - there's a lot of climate variation between far North and far South. There's plenty of back catalogue on here to keep you entertained all winter ... and probably next winter as well ...

:welcome:
Expect five answers to any question: all will be different. Some will be correct as well!!

Thanks for the great advice already folks. I'm in Central Scotland. I've got books to read and will scour the forum, great stuff to get me through the winter. Thanks again.

Thanks for the great advice already folks. I'm in Central Scotland. I've got books to read and will scour the forum, great stuff to get me through the winter. Thanks again.
Welcome Andy! I am up in Findhorn, Moray. Glad you have joined a Local Association you may be able to find a Bee Buddy, they are very useful to you both as you can help each other.

Welcome Andy! I am up in Findhorn, Moray. Glad you have joined a Local Association you may be able to find a Bee Buddy, they are very useful to you both as you can help each other.
Hello Brenda! I've been lucky enough to get advice from someone in the local association, plan to start off with bees from them, (local bees) and will follow the advice given as they are very experienced. Quite fortunate would be an understatement! The course starts in January.

Hello Brenda! I've been lucky enough to get advice from someone in the local association, plan to start off with bees from them, (local bees) and will follow the advice given as they are very experienced. Quite fortunate would be an understatement! The course starts in January.
Sounds great Andy keep reading in the meantime and question us on the Forum if you are in doubt about, or need clarification on any info. Good Luck!

Welcome.
The beginners course is a god-send. It'll give you a big head start into beekeeping.
I only completed mine in June this year, and have already set-up two small apiaries of my own, which I would never have thought remotely possible.
Plus, so long as you can put up with occasional grumbling about the rising cost of sugar, hearing loss and piles, this place is a real help.

It's great to use their experience to help you avoid a few pitfalls.

Amongst other things, I'll be keen to hear if you go down the National or Smith Hive root, or another format entirely.

Welcome.
The beginners course is a god-send. It'll give you a big head start into beekeeping.
I only completed mine in June this year, and have already set-up two small apiaries of my own, which I would never have thought remotely possible.
Plus, so long as you can put up with occasional grumbling about the rising cost of sugar, hearing loss and piles, this place is a real help.

It's great to use their experience to help you avoid a few pitfalls.

Amongst other things, I'll be keen to hear if you go down the National or Smith Hive root, or another format entirely.
Thanks for the advice! Great to hear your positive experience as well.

Welcome to the forum and the start of your Beekeeping journey, read as much as possible and gather knowledge from a vast array of very knowledgeable Beekeepers on You Tube👍🏻

Welcome and good luck, Andy. What a stark contrast to the attitude of another beginner currently on a different thread! Beekeeping is an absorbing and rewarding (mostly) hobby.
Linda
That is where you are wrong Linda.

Firstly for me it is not a hobby.

Secondly, I have sought and consumed advice from a huge amount of sources (including the aforementioned youtube, as well as as estimated 200 hours of research papers)

But hey...don't let the facts ruin your argument.

Stop or you’ll be on a months holiday in your first week here
Couldn't cate less.
If i count the positive replies (those who have a positive outlook) to those grey old farts who can't stand anything besides their own way, and (according to this thread) suffer from piles and hearing loss then I have no interest being here.

I will of course, place myself back on this forum in the event of any ban should I wish to do so (yes that's right, the grey old farts can't comprehend that it is impossible to keep someone.out of these forums)

So no, I don't care for their "15 years of this is how I have done it and is the only way" type of advice.

The demographic of the hobby beekeepers is an aged population, so the bad news is, they don't have much time left anyway!

Linda proves the point. She assumed I haven't absorbed knowlege from a multiple of resources when in fact, I have access to knowlege banks she doesn't even know exists.

Instead she probably relies in "derek at the club" to show her his one and only way of doing things.

Perhaps, that's why I have been asked to do this project despite circa 30 local hobbiests offering their services and being declined for reasons I won't state here as no doubt some on here were those very people!

If you look, you will see I asked a question, I was met with people telling me I am "rong" (guess he ment wrong) and that despite me telling them I am not interested in their incorrect conclusions, this the. Resulted in name calling and attempt at shaming. You think that behaviour is scoailly acceptable? Odd values to have.

Just look our our linda here...suggesting, incorrectly assuming and then spreading her vile on another thread. What a sick individual...but you allow that?

Last edited:
Couldn't cate less.
If i count the positive replies (those who have a positive outlook) to those grey old farts who can't stand anything besides their own way, and (according to this thread) suffer from piles and hearing loss then I have no interest being here.

I will of course, place myself back on this forum in the event of any ban should I wish to do so (yes that's right, the grey old farts can't comprehend that it is impossible to keep someone.out of these forums)

So no, I don't care for their "15 years of this is how I have done it and is the only way" type of advice.

The demographic of the hobby beekeepers is an aged population, so the bad news is, they don't have much time left anyway!

Linda proves the point. She assumed I haven't absorbed knowlege from a multiple of resources when in fact, I have access to knowlege banks she doesn't even know exists.

Instead she probably relies in "derek at the club" to show her his one and only way of doing things.

Perhaps, that's why I have been asked to do this project despite circa 30 local hobbiests offering their services and being declined for reasons I won't state here as no doubt some on here were those very people!

If you look, you will see I asked a question, I was met with people telling me I am "rong" (guess he ment wrong) and that despite me telling them I am not interested in their incorrect conclusions, this the. Resulted in name calling and attempt at shaming. You think that behaviour is scoailly acceptable? Odd values to have.

Just look our our linda here...suggesting, incorrectly assuming and then spreading her vile on another thread. What a sick individual...but you allow that?
Well that's OK then . Because this grey old fart who also happens to be a moderator has decided he's had enough and you are on a month's holiday... come back when you can remain civil or you will be on a permanent holiday ... your loss not the forums !

Well that's OK then . Because this grey old fart who also happens to be a moderator has decided he's had enough and you are on a month's holiday... come back when you can remain civil or you will be on a permanent holiday ... your loss not the forums !
Bee better permanently
John.

No you won’t. I’ll change Philip’s one month ban to a permanent one
Sorry Philip.

Latest posts

Back