Birds and the bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddydog

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
150+ nucs and hives
I converted a couple of solid floors to OMFs over the winter and have used the off-cuts to make a couple of nesting boxes. I've spotted a few interested prospective tenants have a quick look then bugger off. Would birds be put off by bee smell?

No....as long as the dimensions are right the key factor is location e.g. N facing

OK, North facing better (not what I'd have expected!)

How about height?
And, on a live tree, does it matter what sort of a nail I might bash into it? (I don't want to damage/poison the tree.)

// Yes, I've been given a ruddy bird box ...

North so babies don't fry.
At least 10 feet is good.
I have four camera nest boxes....sad I know.... and the best ones have always been the ones surrounded by a few branches as well.

what sort of a nail I might bash into it ?
A screw........ and more than one to keep the box stable

what sort of a nail I might bash into it ?
A screw........ and more than one to keep the box stable

Yes, understood that the box shouldn't move about, but is there anything that I might accidentally use that would harm the tree?
From stories about copper nails, I was wondering about the greenish (cuprous?) coating on the nice outdoor (decking?) big screws I've got in the toolbox ...

I'm sure two or three copper screws would do no damage at all.
Just for future reference.....where does one get copper nails from? :D

Robins like well concealed, and larger entrance.
Bluetits don't care, really.. but are in competition with a Bumble in one of my bird boxes.

I have approximately 10 bird boxes on my house and surrounding. The direction doesn't matter as long as the box is shaded ie if on a tree try and make sure that when the tree is in leaf that they cover the box. I also have the at varying heights from 1.5m on a fence post to a wood crete sparrow terrace on south of house at 4m. This box had been used regularly for the past 8 years. If the birds are checking out the box there us a good chance they will use it, its early yet for nesting birds give them a bit of time before deciding they won't be using it. As you may have gathered I really enjoy providing boxes and find it very rewarding.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

No....as long as the dimensions are right the key factor is location e.g. N facing

I have approximately 10 bird boxes on my house and surrounding. The direction doesn't matter as long as the box is shaded ie if on a tree try and make sure that when the tree is in leaf that they cover the box. I also have them at varying heights from 1.5m on a fence post to a wood crete sparrow terrace on south of house at 4m. This box had been used regularly for the past 8 years. If the birds are checking out the box there us a good chance they will use it, its early yet for nesting birds give them a bit of time before deciding they won't be using it. As you may have gathered I really enjoy providing boxes and find it very rewarding.
S

Use stainless steel nails or screws

Barns such as too station & screw fix sell them

As for the way the box faces, Kingfishers generally nest in a SOUTH facing bank, as do Sand Martins, and Masonry bees, although I doubt if any of those species will occupy your boxes!

Use stainless steel nails or screws

Barns such as too station & screw fix sell them

As for the way the box faces, Kingfishers generally nest in a SOUTH facing bank, as do Sand Martins, and Masonry bees, although I doubt if any of those species will occupy your boxes!

As does just about any hardware shop.

I'm sure two or three copper screws would do no damage at all.
Just for future reference.....where does one get copper nails from? :D

Traditional wooden boat builders use them ... try marine chandlers if you are desperate to kill the neighbour's Leylandii ?? Peel back a bit of bark, knock the nail right in, lay the bark back down - stick in place with a bit of silicon. Ideally you want a ring right round the trunk at intervals but a couple will do the job in time ... they need to penetrate down to the sapwood. Takes a season if you get them in the spring when the sap starts rising ...

Someone once told me this - of course :reddevil::D

PS: Don't forget to remark 'Did you hear the woodpecker knocking last night ?' to your neighbour !

This thread prompted me to look at the boxes in my garden - all clean and empty except one - Full to the brim with a last years wasp nest :hairpull:

It is tucked into a wisteria on the patio - why did I not notice it? - a visit to specsavers is required.

This thread prompted me to look at the boxes in my garden - all clean and empty except one - Full to the brim with a last years wasp nest :hairpull:

It is tucked into a wisteria on the patio - why did I not notice it? - a visit to specsavers is required.

Our Kite nest was destroyed by the winter.
The female of the pair has disappeared. Pity...I hope she's OK
On the bright side we have a nuthatch busy mudding up the entrance to one of our boxes. I hope she/he doesn't glue up the camera lens

I used plans from the BTO and faithfully copied them to the best of my ability, paying particular attention to the hole size :D

Situated on a north facing wall aswell

:D No nesting Kingfishers but I do have the pleasure of seeing them along the local stream when I take the four-legged money pit out for a wander.

Latest posts

Back