Never do an inspection on April 1st!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hit 18⁰ here so decided to inspect a couple of hives.
Put a queen excluder between a brood and a half boxes. Looked for the queen in the half. There she is...a big golden one..promptly flew off! I swear I heard her shout April Fool.
Decided to combine very small hive with a queen with a queen less hive. Quick squirt of air freshener and put the boxes together. Went back to remove the floor from the old site and there is the queen (not the one that flew off the one that should have been combined!!!)
Quickly popped her in a box and dropped her in the hive she should have gone in..... Was that April Fool I heard again?
Think I may be checking for eggs in five days in a couple of hives now😁

Hit 18⁰ here so decided to inspect a couple of hives.
Put a queen excluder between a brood and a half boxes. Looked for the queen in the half. There she is...a big golden one..promptly flew off! I swear I heard her shout April Fool.
Decided to combine very small hive with a queen with a queen less hive. Quick squirt of air freshener and put the boxes together. Went back to remove the floor from the old site and there is the queen (not the one that flew off the one that should have been combined!!!)
Quickly popped her in a box and dropped her in the hive she should have gone in..... Was that April Fool I heard again?
Think I may be checking for eggs in five days in a couple of hives now😁j
Just in case you had forgotten beekeeping isn't straight forward 😂. Hope they work out ok.

Barely got into double figures here on the Costa del Fareham, about an hour of sunshine around 1pm when the girls got out for a bit then dull and overcast for the rest of the day. Very disappointing - still not really inspection weather yet, let alone adding supers. Cherry tree in my garden still about a week away from flowering but that might be good as the weather may warm a little bit by then.

Can you believe it? It was 64˚F here today. Still have snow up here on the hill. Put sub on the home yard.
Would have gone out to my apiaries but I had a zoom to do today. Good speakers. Seeley, Tew, Flottum, and a bunch of others.
Spoke about my Brood Factories...come to the National in October where I'll do the powerpoint as one of my presentations.

I'll be there Micheal. Looking forward to it.

18°C! But you're only just down the road! It barely scraped over 13°C here!

James
We are in the shelter of your hills. Like a giant sun bowl down here on the levelsbee-smillie

We are in the shelter of your hills. Like a giant sun bowl down here on the levelsbee-smillie
You do need lots of sun to dry the levels out, so it’s only fair!

I think we should, in the spirit of 'rewilding' let them go back to their natural state, at least it would give a boost to the coracle building industry.
That would be great because I would be living in my very own island! I would declare it a country a bit like the Welsh did and call it Enricoland.😆

Back