Best flowers/plants

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamiow

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi guys

I have a small piece of land (about an acre) which I want to put to use and start keeping bees.

Currently the land is a little over grown and I'm wondering what flowers/plants should be grown that would be good for the bees and produce a tasty honey? There isn't many wild flowers around the land as most the surrounding fields are used for hay.

Divide into 1/4's...rape for the spring, borage for the summer, sage/rosemary/thyme in another 1/4 and if some erichaceous compost some heather for the last 1/4..... Plant hedges with lots of ivy and if some damp spots a bit of Himalayan balsam. Lots of spring bulbs, willow.....oh boy you are going to busy!

Does sound like I'm going to be busy! On an acre plot planted as described, roughly how many hives could be kept?

Your bees won't be confined to that acre, so it very much depends on what's around.

Start with two hives and grow slowly in numbers as you grow in experience. You should be able to tell when it's enough.

Quite frankly I'd plant something for myself rather than for the bees. You're likely to cater for the bees anyway.

For example: you plant an orchard with different fruits of different varieties, and you will get the fruit, while the bees get the pollen and nectar. While the trees are still growing you can plant other stuff between them, such as wildflowers, for example, or a vegetable patch for yourself, that will provide some pollen and nectar to the bees too.

IIRC up to three miles as the bee flies (pardon the pun). Of course if they have closer forage they won't fly that far.

I do like the idea of growing something that we can use/eat as well. As you may guess from my next question, I'm not yet too green fingered......will all fruit trees and plants produce pollen and necture?

Yellow rattle is good because its parasitic on grass so keeps it down a bit and helps the flowers.

Hi guys

I have a small piece of land (about an acre) which I want to put to use and start keeping bees.

Currently the land is a little over grown and I'm wondering what flowers/plants should be grown that would be good for the bees and produce a tasty honey? There isn't many wild flowers around the land as most the surrounding fields are used for hay.

Apples, pears, plums. The pears can be planted as a hedge and trained along a wire strand fence. Raspberry, Brambles,Purple Tansy, Coralberry, Dandelions.
If you plant raspberries make sure you have plenty of room between the rows for maintenance etc. I work on six feet, same for brambles. Ivy is good for winter stocks for the bees but it's damaging to trees etc. Works well on old buildings. Ignore the packs of pollinator friendly seeds sold in shops, most of what's in them are no good for honeybees.
As a beginner one hive might do but two is far more flexible and that's what I'd suggest. However have at least one empty spare and plenty of supers. If you're buying all your gear try Abelo who sell Lyson polyhive packages. These come with floor, brood body, two supers, crownboard and roof so you will need to add queen excluder frames and foundation. Then all you need are bees :)
Good luck.

I do like the idea of growing something that we can use/eat as well. As you may guess from my next question, I'm not yet too green fingered......will all fruit trees and plants produce pollen and necture?

To be honest I'm not sure. Also not all of them will be liked by the bees in the same way.

All the Prunus are fairly liked, in different amounts. That is peaches, almonds, cherries, plums and so on. That includes blackthorn (Prunus spinosa) which you might want to use for sloe gin, sloe jelly and jam, and so on.

If you're planning on a hedgerow you can plant a mix of blackthorn, hawthorn, hazel, blackberry, raspberry, gooseberry, and so on. A good mix of flowers for the bees and fruit for you.

Apples are also quite good, including crabapples (excellent for wine, jams and so on).
Soft fruit is generally also good for bees.
Pears do produce nectar, but bees don't seem to like them as other plants, so it's up to you.

As for vegetables, many do produce flowers that bees visit. Some, though, will spoil once they bloom, like lettuce or onions. If you find yourself with lettuce bolting, for example, it's already gone, so you might as well leave it for the bees instead of removing it as you'd normally do, and who knows... it might even self-seed.

But, and remember this, you're giving your bees a bit of a bonus on your land this way, but it won't make a huge difference. Think of yourself first when planting stuff to grow, and what you can look after, most often that'll benefit the bees too, and if it doesn't they have a few square miles to roam for forage.

Rather depends on how much work you want to do - fruit trees are a good answer if you like apples, plums etc - you need them far enough apart to be able to mow underneath and not so tall that you break your neck climbing 40 foot ladders to pick them. They need a bit of knowledgeable care when they are young and you will also need advice on which varieties will suit you best.

The simplest advice would be to get the help of a gardening friend near to you and read up on the subject. Also bare in mind that a lot of fruit in a short time means either preserving quantities somehow or making it in to cider etc

All growing things have some drawbacks - I like cherries for example, but so do the birds in my garden and they get up early and have very good eye-sight.

Rosebay willow herb is low maintenance and yields well!

Rather depends on how much work you want to do - fruit trees are a good answer if you like apples, plums etc - you need them far enough apart to be able to mow underneath and not so tall that you break your neck climbing 40 foot ladders to pick them. They need a bit of knowledgeable care when they are young and you will also need advice on which varieties will suit you best.

The simplest advice would be to get the help of a gardening friend near to you and read up on the subject. Also bare in mind that a lot of fruit in a short time means either preserving quantities somehow or making it in to cider etc

All growing things have some drawbacks - I like cherries for example, but so do the birds in my garden and they get up early and have very good eye-sight.

Apples and pears picked carefully without bruising or other damage and kept in a cool frost free store can last right through until the following springtime.

Father Warre

Salaam fellow beekeeprs

Dont know about plants in a lush rainy climate since I live in a dessert but according to Warre : Borage Borage Borage

I know - its what I do myself, in fact I built a special cold shed with a grass turf roof in to the bank on the North side of my cottage for just that purpose - however it all takes work and money to set up. So you do need to be realistic, 2 or 3 boxes of apples bought from a local fruit farm will probably cost £40 or less and last you for the winter - you have to look at these questions not with rose-tinted specs, but with thoughts such as "how long will I live in my current house ?" "how many fresh apples will my family eat in a week ?" etc
I've grown most types of fruit you can do sensibly in the UK - I'd say pears unless you inherit a tree and are willing to become an expert on how to manage them are a waste of time where I live - apples, plums, apricots all have their up and down sides - soft fruit if you can keep the birds off them are brilliant for a faster crop that top fruit - there's a lot of detail in growing stuff successfully, but probably the mot important factors are the gardener and his/her constraints and their family's likes and dislikes.

I've been in my cottage since 1983, so I have been able to do some long term stuff - on the other hand I'm lazy so I do not go for plants requiring fiddly management + I have deer and many other different sorts of wildlife to contend with - its not boring :)

looks pretty - the bees love it - doesn't provide much that's edible for the gardener.

Latest posts

Back