Best book on Queen Rearing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
My Bee association will be running a course on queen rearing this year,something I'am very interested in.I wonder if some of you more experienced beekeepers could recommend a good book on the subject.Thanks.

Can I suggest Cook's "Queen Rearing Simplified". Pretty much an id*ot proof method (well maybe with the exception of having to do a bit of grafting!).

I had totally no success with Cook. Not one I would recommend.

I would say this but my posted way works.

I am old fashioned, I prefer things that work. ;)

PH

Queen Bee: Biology, Rearing and Breeding by David Woodward has a lot of information and covers several methods.

Cook's method works for me but there are plenty of other ways, but as a simple easily to read introduction to the subject it is a good start. Even if you don't follow his method the bits on making wax cups andgrafting are very useful.

Queen Bee: Biology, Rearing and Breeding by David Woodward has a lot of information and covers several methods.

:iagree: A very good book in no nonsense Kiwi style.

Never heard of it but if based on Kiwi methods then climate issues rear up again.

Just beware of books from balmy climes.

PH

Queen rearing books are meant to professional rearers. Too complicated to rear 30-40 queens what I need.

Never heard of it but if based on Kiwi methods then climate issues rear up again.

PH

Factual, informative, practical, and having read it and used it as reference during the season, cannot think of any "climate issues" bar the usual short time expectation for virgin queens to mate.
Interestingly, nowhere in the book, does it suggest shaking queencells as an appropriate technique.;)

PH

It brings a range of techniques together from all over, including work done by Rutter, Von Frisch, Sue Coby, and Dews & Milner from the UK.
It covers a lot of ground giving a fair amount of detail, enough certainly to wet the appetite.

Queen rearing books are meant to professional rearers. Too complicated to rear 30-40 queens what I need.

You can make as complicated or simple as you like,

I can only get to my bees once a week so any instructions to this or that 12 -24 or 36 hours before or after grafting immediately got thrown out. The system works with the bees & I end up, with one or more cell bars with queens (>10) in cages. Something works & no need to wait for the bees only the weather.

Ian

Perhaps shaking at 24hrs DOES serve a specific purpose (after all i can't remember seeing massive loss of worker brood in frames that have been shaken) - larvae that were too old when started may fall out preferentially wrt younger larvae; the latter having less mass wrt surface contact area with the royal jelly.

or perhaps PH, being our very own forum 007 (those aren't extended holidays in "interesting" sunny climes that he goes on and he wasn't really working offshore when away 14/21 in days gone by), is licensed to not do things by the book - "shaken not stirred".

I too have woodward and find it a good read - not yet put into practice though.

Last edited:

:iagree: I followed the methods described in Woodward's book last year using a cloak board and it worked superbly for me. I will be using it again this year. Ironically, I also found a nuc had created around 8 queen cells, they were from a queen I wanted to use for queen rearing so I simply split them into mini nucs and all queens successfully emerged, mated and started laying.

Sometimes letting them get on with their own stuff works fine!

PH

Cook's book is an easy read with good pictures and diagrams.Balmy climes? It is the same as the UK, Oceanic, which means it is also good for this country.

My Bee association will be running a course on queen rearing this year,something I'am very interested in.I wonder if some of you more experienced beekeepers could recommend a good book on the subject.Thanks.

Working my way through Better Queens by Jay Smith at the moment and its very interesting worth a read if you can borrow a copy as its an old book and may be out of print.

Also take a look at the IWF ( I think that is correct) queen rearing videos on you tube there are 5 videos in total and this is the link to the first. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZlQ7mNmf6o&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL51F1A93A07B05CF3[/ame]

LOL if you think NZ climes are the same as ours a wee reality check is needed.

I frankly admit I have never been there but, I have worked over the years, that some seem to refuse to admit to, in the North Sea with many many wonderful Kiwis. They tend to talk about their home land...

I so agree that Cooks book is an easy read with good diagrams.

Shame I ended up with no queens. *shrug*

I prefer methods that actually work in reality for "me". I stress that as it is horses for courses.

PH

You can make as complicated or simple as you like,

Ian

After 45 years, it is not even interesting.

Nowadays I graft new larvae to swarming cells. That simpler it cannot be.
Then I form mating nuc from same hive's frames with bees.

But I have a good rearing book.

After 45 years, it is not even interesting.

Nowadays I graft new larvae to swarming cells. That simpler it cannot be.
Then I form mating nuc from same hive's frames with bees.

But I have a good rearing book.

you graft from a queen you choose, into swarm cells in other hives?

LOL if you think NZ climes are the same as ours a wee reality check is needed.

I frankly admit I have never been there but, I have worked over the years, that some seem to refuse to admit to, in the North Sea with many many wonderful Kiwis. They tend to talk about their home land...

I so agree that Cooks book is an easy read with good diagrams.

Shame I ended up with no queens. *shrug*

I prefer methods that actually work in reality for "me". I stress that as it is horses for courses.

PH

We will have to agree to disagree. All my years in school reading text books comparing different parts of the world. New Zealand having the same climate as ours (Oceanic) but then I do live towards the west of the UK. Maybe the text books are wrong! Also getting caught out in New Zealand and buying thermal gear is hardly balmy weather.

But then what method works for one may not work for another. The wealth of ideas means if one idea doesn't work we move onto the next and dont feel a failure.

Back