Being employed and managing 200+ colonys.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And there's the rub - many of those who put themselves forward as 'experts' are the last people qualified to give decent advice.
Too right. I became a member of my local group many years back. It had it's uses, as being called in to take care of swarms etc.. However, the meetings were often chaotic. As a novice at the time, I found that asking any simple question could often lead to huge arguments between 'the experts.'
It ended when one year I sent in my BBKA money, insurance etc.. only to realise, in June, that I had heard no word. When I contacted the 'secretary' she initially denied all knowledge of my beekeeping existence! After sending in proof of payment, I was promised back issues of the BBKA magazine. Woop woop! Nothing ever appeared though.
I often expect robbery or mugging where I live, but never to be 'turned over' by middle-aged beekeepers. Needless to say......I never went back! I am still member of the BBKA by the way, but sort it out myself now. :D

Assuming your suspicion(s) are correct there's no need to gild the lilly here its just 1 question:

why has he/she gone; Professional or personal?

Professional = I'll be polite the beek might be a forumite, his/her abilities surpassed reality
Personal = someone didn't like someone. Anymore here will be loaded with opinion or their side of the story so not worth knowing.

Base your decision on your own spidery senses and trust your instincts young Jedi, the path to Calgary is thwart with challenges. :sifone:

Run 100 hives and pay your wages for the year , surely they wouldn't be making much at that

Try to find out who you would be reporting to if not the MD, then seek an interview with him/her to find out about the previous beek and why the vacancy exists. If there’s a guarded response to your questions or a lack of honest information, you’ll know not to get involved.
Thanks Poot, my interview is with the md and the estate manager on Thursday 27th.. I'll let you know what happens.

If they refuse to talk about the previous beekeeper then something has happened. Maybe the previous beekeeper got sick of being paid little for the work or there were issues with husbandry or other things, who knows.
They are expecting you to manage the colonies and then double the amount over the next couple of seasons it would seem. If you agreed a rate of pay now then the work would be doubled very soon and a good chance the pay wouldn't.
Maybe you can make some inquiries and find out who the previous guy was and get it from the horses mouth.
The role is self employed so no sick pay or holiday pay and no job security.

I don't know your personal circumstances but things like a mortgage, kids etc have their cost that has to be met. I could not of made a living as a small scale beefarmer while paying a mortgage the risks are too high. Nothing is guaranteed.

If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't.

If they refuse to talk about the previous beekeeper then something has happened. Maybe the previous beekeeper got sick of being paid little for the work or there were issues with husbandry or other things, who knows.
They are expecting you to manage the colonies and then double the amount over the next couple of seasons it would seem. If you agreed a rate of pay now then the work would be doubled very soon and a good chance the pay wouldn't.
Maybe you can make some inquiries and find out who the previous guy was and get it from the horses mouth.

I don't know your personal circumstances but things like a mortgage, kids etc have their cost that has to be met. I could not of made a living as a small scale beefarmer while paying a mortgage the risks are too high. Nothing is guaranteed.

It's not too much of a google challenge to find the previous post holder

Find out what the estate expects.
This may be the heart of the matter: which markets does the estate serve and what return does it expect? Running 100 effectively may be more productive than having 200 in disarray, and the previous beekeeper may have made up with numbers for a lack of skill or an obligation to follow an arbitrary management number.

A lot depends on the reliability of forage (which you can assess) and equipment logistics (ditto) but most of all, Mark, I suggest you get a sidekick to keep you upright.

Asking direct questions about a previous employee is bound to be received poorly and will elicit a 'negative or guarded' response. Its just not done ordinarily. Asking to see/peruse the hive/apiary records & finances however will reveal much about how things were managed, by them and the former employee. There may not be any records, or perhaps they have been falsified and sales etc don't match up; so a question like "how did that come about?" could reveal a great deal.

Thanks for that some wise advice.. I'm lucky enough to be mortgage free at 40.
I've 6 children and I work 60/70hrs a week landscaping anyway.
I've just employed a team leader so I can concentrate on other things mainly beekeeping. I will still be doing designs and quotes and surveying.
But I'm freeing up most of my week, and when the time comes I will employe someone to take over my role..
So I've got some idea of how to run a business as I've had this one since 2004.
Employing only two people but it's gone from strength to strength.. If I put as much in to my beekeeping as I do with landscaping... I won't go far wrong.

My 6 year old Alfie, he's very keen, Wren our only girl does to, she is very gentle with handling frames.. The older guys are lazy gamers and I've only myself to blame.
Easy enough to motivate them - make up screen credits - no work no wifi more you work the more screen time you get.

Thanks for that some wise advice.. I'm lucky enough to be mortgage free at 40.
I've 6 children and I work 60/70hrs a week landscaping anyway.
I've just employed a team leader so I can concentrate on other things mainly beekeeping. I will still be doing designs and quotes and surveying.
But I'm freeing up most of my week, and when the time comes I will employe someone to take over my role..
So I've got some idea of how to run a business as I've had this one since 2004.
Employing only two people but it's gone from strength to strength.. If I put as much in to my beekeeping as I do with landscaping... I won't go far wrong.

Six children? Now I understand why you want to be out of the house so much😜

Thanks Poot, my interview is with the md and the estate manager on Thursday 27th.. I'll let you know what happens.

I wish you all the best for it. Just remember that if it doesn’t pan out, you’ve lost nothing and you can look for the next opportunity. Exciting though isn’t it?

Latest posts

Back