Being employed and managing 200+ colonys.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I beg to differ - there’s a very comprehensive education system in place within the BBKA, certificates n all 😚

Go through your hive records and your friends and scale up the workload.
Going from 35 to 200 hives, you will have to speed up the inspection times per hive.

To your previous post.. I don't know why the beekeeper left, lots of questions to ask on my part.

Im compelling a list of questions to ask. From some of your suggestio

Ive no qualifications in apiculture at all and only in my 5th season..

If I get asked for a references I've only my friend beek, would it be worth getting more character references?

Thanks all for your support and guidance.
Take that list of questions with you, once refined and organised use them as bullet points/headings for discussion, don't try to remember everything out of your head. Interviews are a two way process.
Yes be sure to have a couple of 'character' references and evidence of your abilities and areas of expertise. Don't worry too much about having just 5 seasons worth of beekeeping experience - you will almost certainly know and understand far more about bees than your interviewers - i wonder how long they have had hives ?

Disappointing then.

“There is no set route to become a beekeeper. Many beekeepers start out by keeping a small colony of bees as a hobby. You do not need specific qualifications to become a beekeeper, however lots of new beekeepers choose to join a local branch of the British Beekeeping Association (BBKA). As a member, you'll receive advice and guidance on starting out from experienced beekeepers.”
Quoted from UCAS 2020

Last edited:
As a member, you'll receive advice and guidance on starting out from experienced beekeepers.”
And there's the rub - many of those who put themselves forward as 'experts' are the last people qualified to give decent advice.

I have gone from 55 to 120 this year.
It's been hard work and some long days.
The weather isn't helpful when you need to do 20+ colonies a day it's easy to get behind with inspections.
The bees will dictate how much work there is, decent bees will make life easier if they are swarmy mongrels it will make life a lot harder.
Your management practices will have to change a lot from being a hobby beekeeper.
You'll need a van or large pick up to carry enough kit to deal with any issues you find and also probably be best to start some sort of queen rearing program for yourself. I have and it has saved me a lot of money and stress.
I bought a 4wd transit and it has been great, couldn't manage without it now.
Feed will also be an expense, your going to either buy ready made feed probably at least 2 IBC's could be 3 or buy 2-3 ton of sugar and make the syrup. This could be june and autumn.

Who extracts the honey ? Where is the honey extracted ? Do you have to jar it or is it sold in bulk ? What machinery is in place ?
200 colonies could be 800 supers or more, 8000 + frames to extract.
You could be extracting anywhere from 6 to 13+ tons a year, you won't do that in a 9 frame radial lol.
Capping will need processing and wax rendering also.
Who builds and repairs all the kit ? Frame building and repairs will take time in winter and it will need to be done before the season starts.
Who buys it all and how ? Are you going to have to wait for approval or permission to buy anything you need ?
Diesel costs, who pays ? costs me £80 a week in summer.

There is a lot to sort out.

The BBKA and BFA have never offered any advice to me.
Look at BFA membership as an insurance policy and cheap jars, varroa treatment and you won't be disappointed.
The BBKA wouldn't have a clue on running 200 colonies lmao most can't overwinter 10 and their insurance tops out at 40 colonies.

Above all don't become a busy fool.
Your family may not like no summer holidays and you being out from dawn til dusk for 6 months a year.

And there's the rub - many of those who put themselves forward as 'experts' are the last people qualified to give decent advice.
Who are the rub jbm?

Disappointing then.

“There is no set route to become a beekeeper. Many beekeepers start out by keeping a small colony of bees as a hobby. You do not need specific qualifications to become a beekeeper, however lots of new beekeepers choose to join a local branch of the British Beekeeping Association (BBKA). As a member, you'll receive advice and guidance on starting out from experienced beekeepers.”
Quoted from UCAS 2020

Not always the best advice either from members.
Some of the beekeepers that are members are stuck in the 90s
I have gone from 55 to 120 this year.
It's been hard work and some long days.
The weather isn't helpful when you need to do 20+ colonies a day it's easy to get behind with inspections.
The bees will dictate how much work there is, decent bees will make life easier if they are swarmy mongrels it will make life a lot harder.
Your management practices will have to change a lot from being a hobby beekeeper.
You'll need a van or large pick up to carry enough kit to deal with any issues you find and also probably be best to start some sort of queen rearing program for yourself. I have and it has saved me a lot of money and stress.
I bought a 4wd transit and it has been great, couldn't manage without it now.
Feed will also be an expense, your going to either buy ready made feed probably at least 2 IBC's could be 3 or buy 2-3 ton of sugar and make the syrup. This could be june and autumn.

Who extracts the honey ? Where is the honey extracted ? Do you have to jar it or is it sold in bulk ? What machinery is in place ?
200 colonies could be 800 supers or more, 8000 + frames to extract.
You could be extracting anywhere from 6 to 13+ tons a year, you won't do that in a 9 frame radial lol.
Capping will need processing and wax rendering also.
Who builds and repairs all the kit ? Frame building and repairs will take time in winter and it will need to be done before the season starts.
Who buys it all and how ? Are you going to have to wait for approval or permission to buy anything you need ?
Diesel costs, who pays ? costs me £80 a week in summer.

There is a lot to sort out.

The BBKA and BFA have never offered any advice to me.
Look at BFA membership as an insurance policy and cheap jars, varroa treatment and you won't be disappointed.
The BBKA wouldn't have a clue on running 200 colonies lmao most can't overwinter 10 and their insurance tops out at 40 colonies.

Above all don't become a busy fool.
Your family may not like no summer holidays and you being out from dawn til dusk for 6 months a year.

Thanks for the advice nigel. I went from 10 to 35 colonys this season and this has gone well, 27 queen's reared.
I have a breading program up here based around Amm types and Italian stock.
I've already got a 4x4 and use of a quad for my own operation.
Most of any moneys I've made this season has been used on a new extractor and beekeeping equipment.
New queens to rear from x4
2021 overwintered nucs x6

I've definitely spent more than I've earned, that's for sure!

Things that have changed.
My inspections are quicker, certain things to do with queen rearing have now well and truly stuck.
Infact I've learned more this season than I had in the four previous..

So as you can see I'm gearing up myself albeit slowly.
Ive been helping a friend who has 70 colonys this has helped no end.

Find out what the estate expects before rushing into it.
If they are expecting a large honey crop and you to deal with all that and inspecting 200+ hives then the 3 or 4 days a week at peak is a pipedream. You'll be at that 7 days a week when the honey comes off.

Find out what the estate expects before rushing into it.
If they are expecting a large honey crop and you to deal with all that and inspecting 200+ hives then the 3 or 4 days a week at peak is a pipedream. You'll be at that 7 days a week when the honey comes off.

After a conversation yesterday with the estate md.. They have at present got 100 colonys but would like to get back up to 200+.

All there honey and wax is sent to Cumbria where it is processed, jarred and then bought back to South Shropshire.

He was being a bit of a closed book when talking about the beekeeper that was there before.. I have a feeling that something has gone aray.
Due maybe to the loses or lack of husbandry maybe.

I will know dought find out that things aren't quite what they seem.

Hmm.. Sounds like somewhere I don't want to work.. I can't be doing with liars, and back stabers :boxing_smiley:

After a conversation yesterday with the estate md.. They have at present got 100 colonys but would like to get back up to 200+.
All there honey and wax is sent to Cumbria where it is processed, jarred and then bought back to South Shropshire.

He was being a bit of a closed book when talking about the beekeeper that was there before.. I have a feeling that something has gone aray.
Hmm.. Sounds like somewhere I don't want to work.. I can't be doing with liars, and back stabers :boxing_smiley:
At least now you can begin to see what is required and how they operate as a business.

If they are not open and honest when recruiting, they are untrustworthy.

Run a mile is my advice.

If they are not open and honest when recruiting, they are untrustworthy.

Run a mile is my advice.
Sounds more like discretion than being untrustworthy to me, for all they know curly could be the previous incumbent's cousin.

Try to find out who you would be reporting to if not the MD, then seek an interview with him/her to find out about the previous beek and why the vacancy exists. If there’s a guarded response to your questions or a lack of honest information, you’ll know not to get involved.

Latest posts

Back