Being employed and managing 200+ colonys.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
Hi and morning..
Im after advice on the above title.

Scenario.. Managing 200+ colonys for an estate on a self employed basis all equipment is provided except PPE.. ie suit hive tools, smoker etc.

Hours to vary through out the season but at peek times 3/4 days a week.
Hourly rate to be discussed.. Or day rate.

Tasks.
Everything.. Both looking after the bees, stock management. And processing honey.
Your thoughts pls.

Do I want to open the door??

I got the impression Mark, that you were trying to work towards beekeeping full-time and earning a living from it? If so, I would have thought this was the ideal opportunity. You can get paid by someone else to look after their bees, and hopefully have enough days left in the week to run your own colonies too. That way you can get paid, whilst also taking more time to build up your own beekeeping business until you are at the point that you can rely on your bees as your sole income if you choose to.

What happens to the crop / wax etc?

It doesn't sound to me like it would 100% meet the self employed test. Can you choose hours, and get someone else to do it for you? Read more here: Employment status
There is a little link on there for checking.

Hi and morning..

Scenario.. Managing 200+ colonys for an estate on a self employed basis all equipment is provided except PPE.. ie suit hive tools, smoker etc.

Tasks.
Everything.. Both looking after the bees, stock management. And processing honey.
Your thoughts pls.

3 plus four days a week more like - and long ones at that,

If you are responsible for honey removal and extracting, you will be working 7 days a week 14 hours a day with 200+ colonies..

Sounds like modern slavery to me...;)

Partnership or profit share agreement?
Perhaps they would look at something like this, someone invested into a project is worth way more than an employee...
Tickle in the throat - cough cough - booked off sick.
Then what...
My opinion, take the bull by the horns and sell the idea to whom it may concern...
As I read above - you were looking for the opportunity... Nothing ventured nothing gained... If your sales pitch fails, carry on as you were and make another opportunity for yourself... or wait until the next one comes along...

Thats my opinion Mr Green Finger...

Hi and morning..

Tasks.
Your thoughts pls.

That sounds like a a full time way of life ! Check out what returns they are expecting from 200 hives (are they conventional?) - honey -wax-nucs -queens?? Best work out a system well in advance .

Hi and morning..

Tasks.
Your thoughts pls.

You know you want to, but is it sensible?

Have you actually run 200 colonies before ?
What’s the most you’ve run ?

while some might say why would it matter it actually does have quite a baring on the likelihood of your success

happy to chat about it via PM

kr

S

Sounds interesting, how many hives are you use to taking care of ?
Is it a build up to 200 hives or are there 200 hives already there

If the money's right, dive in.
Keep in mind your own bees will have to be put on the back burner, when swarming season hits you'll have 200 hives to get through before any of your own, possibly in brief breaks in the weather.
Never enough time to do everything you'd like to do in the season and not really enough to do to justify employment in the winter, it's a juggle.

Most I've looked after is 35 colonys of my own. (2020), And helped my friend with his 70 colonys these last two seasons.
Im also mentoring a handful of new beeks.
I came by this opportunity via a friend who sent me the advert...
As far as I can fathom from the md of the estate they've been employing some one to look after there bee's which are there on the 5000 acre estate.
Im not sure how he was running things, and i will know more when I go for an interview next week.

I've been told by my friend that they have had huge loses over the last few years.
And have been buying bees in not rearing queen's and raising there own stock.
The estate sell most of the honey in there shops in Ludlow and Bromfield, the rest gets sold on to outlets.

They have someone from the our association who makes candles for them.
I don't know if they are processing pollen.

My thoughts are the same mbc.. my own bees will be put on the back burner. but maybe I can just concentrate on queen rearing not honey production.

This will be the second time I've looked into being employed as a beek and I feel I don't want to miss this opportunity this time... These positions are very rare more so in this area.

I'll keep you posted and if you have any suggestions as to things I should be asking at the interview feel free to post.
Thanks

Mark

I have quite a positive outlook on life in general but managing 200 colonies on your todd is a hell of a lot. If your young, no ties & nothing to lose jump in with both feet. If not & value a home life & partner then it would have to be quite some deal.
You say the estate has suffered huge losses, bees money or both - not really surprised. With all the variables to beekeeping those who do as a well paid career are few and far between I think, good and bad years happen. When it’s your own business that you can deal with, as an employee/employer adds another level of stress.
One thing is for certain, you’d get loads of experience :)

Most I've looked after is 35 colonys of my own. (2020), And helped my friend with his 70 colonys these last two seasons.
Im also mentoring a handful of new beeks.
I came by this opportunity via a friend who sent me the advert...
As far as I can fathom from the md of the estate they've been employing some one to look after there bee's which are there on the 5000 acre estate.
Im not sure how he was running things, and i will know more when I go for an interview next week.>>>>snip>>>>... any suggestions as to things I should be asking at the interview feel free to post. Thanks. Mark.
Interview them, ask to see their business plan model for the estate and the bees . It might be a big estate but what is the forage really like, don't take their word that its good enough to support their aspirations/wants. How many apiary sites are there, you need to visit each one before accepting anything. What equipment and in what condition is it? Dedicated storage ? Press them on why the last person left. ask what, how, when, who and why to every statement they make, look for proof of any claims they make. Plus all the usual stuff and more.

Was the previous beekeeper sacked due to the heavy losses?
Did the previous beekeeper retire?
What budget is available to you?
Working for someone else and not yourself, may become stressful. Their demands may mean you have to drop everything and deal with situations there and then. The operation of the estate, visitors, events, etc.
Do they have an on site storage and processing operation?
Just a small amount of things to consider. Working for yourself or working for someone else are two different scenarios to consider.

My business plan predicted that I could look after around 100 colonies on my own and that is still the plan. When it gets to 200 though I thought that I would need help! Would looking after 200 hives be hard enough, let alone keeping any private interests going as well? Also.....200 hives now? What would be happening next year.....splitting hives, keeping the number at 200......increasing them? These are definitely questions to ask at the interview!

Also as you would be taking over from a previous beekeeper, you may want to look at the bookkeeping. Expenditure per year, hive records, restrictions on medicines. Feeding, using commercial syrup or making up the syrup yourself. IBC containers. Transport for supers to and from extraction room? Is there a vehicle to use or are you expected to use your own?
Go through your hive records and your friends and scale up the workload.
Going from 35 to 200 hives, you will have to speed up the inspection times per hive.

Go through your hive records and your friends and scale up the workload.
Going from 35 to 200 hives, you will have to speed up the inspection times per hive.

To your previous post.. I don't know why the beekeeper left, lots of questions to ask on my part.

Im compelling a list of questions to ask. From some of your suggestio

Ive no qualifications in apiculture at all and only in my 5th season..

If I get asked for a references I've only my friend beek, would it be worth getting more character references?

Thanks all for your support and guidance.

I believe you'll do a good job if you can get it. You are good with the bees, seem to have learnt well and anyone who can do landscaping like you is skilful and tenacious. Yes, probably get one or two more references.

Does your friend belong to the BFA?
In essence you are being sub-contracted. It may be worth seeking advice through the BFA either directly or via your friend.

Latest posts

Back