Behaviour when introducing a new queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hebeegeebee,

Thank you for you suggestions on this thread. I have a virgin from a "good" queen in a nuc which I am intending to introduce to a 14x12 hive made up from a re-combined AS (which may contain a virgin from a "bad" Q), where the original Q seems to have departed soon after the AS. So it looks like (and they behave as if, with all brood now hatched) one has been Q- for 2-3 weeks, one possibly a week longer.

I follow you up to the "introduce a queen to a nuc then unite with newspaper" bit. What technique do you use to execute this plan, since the nuc box and the 14x12 are not the same form factor (I united the two failed AS colonies with newspaper over Queen Excluder, but the box-on-box fit makes that easy)?
:party:
I follow you up to the "introduce a queen to a nuc then unite with newspaper" bit. What technique do you use to execute this plan, since the nuc box and the 14x12 are not the same form factor (I united the two failed AS colonies with newspaper over Queen Excluder, but the box-on-box fit makes that easy)?
Take frames out of nuc
put frames( + bees) into a BB
unite with Financial times as before..

or if you have a Nuc box with a removable floor make up a baffle plate to
make up the gap, or knit a quilt with a nuc size hole to fit!

I cut up a Nuc to do just this and joined with those suitcase / toolbox beehive fastner thingies sold on fleabuy for a couple of quid:gnorsi:

I understand that some races are more tolerant of foreign queens than others. Carniolans are supposedly not unduly fussy.

icanhopit,

I was struggling with the concept of my fixed floor nuc and a newspaper and couldn't think laterally enough to simply transfer the frames to a BB for the Q introduction!

So thank you very much for enlightening me (and for offering the alternative method for a nuc with a detachable floor and "baffle")!

Well I think introducing a new queen is pointless...
Whats wrong with the current queen? Sures she's a little ancient but she does her job... plus I think the royal mint would be a little pissed having to change the head on the coins...

Latest posts

Back