Introducing a New Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have a queenless colony ,but fortunately a friend is supplying a mated queen. I'll introduce her in a queen cage with fondant sealing the ends. My question is their is some worker brood in the hive which I assume may convince the bees that they have a queen. Should I remove this brood before introducing my new queen. Thanks.

Taking it a step further, you can use a push in cage over the emerging brood and allows more gradual introduction with ability to start laying.

Thanks for everyone's replies. So even though this is drone brood a new queen will be happier if I put her cage near the brood? Also not sure what a push in cage is? and could I adapt a regular queen cage?

They have emerging brood? You're sure they're queenless? No virgin? Do you have a comb of emerging brood you can give them?
Give them a frame of emerging...
I would absolutely us a push-in cage.

Thanks for everyone's replies. So even though this is drone brood a new queen will be happier if I put her cage near the brood? Also not sure what a push in cage is? and could I adapt a regular queen cage?
Hang on a moment, you initially said worker brood. If there is worker brood then put the cage between frames of it as per the advice above. If there's only drone brood you may have laying workers who could kill the new queen. If so, it's sensible to put in a frame of open brood first and waiting before introducing the queen.

I currently only have one hive so no new brood other than the worker brood. Would the safest method be to use a nuc box ,put in frames with built comb and stores. Possibly also the one frame with worker brood? Then add the queen in her cage and shake in some bees. Let them settle and over the following days add further bees. New queen arrives today so no time to get or make a push cage,we live in a very isolated area of Normandie.
Thanks for any suggestions.

I currently only have one hive so no new brood other than the worker brood. Would the safest method be to use a nuc box ,put in frames with built comb and stores. Possibly also the one frame with worker brood? Then add the queen in her cage and shake in some bees. Let them settle and over the following days add further bees. New queen arrives today so no time to get or make a push cage,we live in a very isolated area of Normandie.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Please can you clarify what sort of brood you are talking about. Is it worker brood or is it drone brood? In different posts you have mentioned both.

This is very important to know before deciding on what to do.

Definitely worker brood and definitely no queen.

In that case, if there's only one frame of brood it's probably sensible to use a nuc so the bees have less space to keep warm. If your friend can spare a frame of capped brood to put in too that might be useful to help boost numbers.

In that case, if there's only one frame of brood it's probably sensible to use a nuc so the bees have less space to keep warm. If your friend can spare a frame of capped brood to put in too that might be useful to help boost numbers.
So even though it's worker brood I should still move it into the nuc?

Latest posts

Back