Beginners extraction questions..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonel

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've recently extracted my first batch of honey but have a couple of issues I was wondering if I could get some advice about..

I filtered my honey from the extractor through a nylon double strainer into a settling tank with honey gate, has had a few days to settle. I've filled a couple of jars but after a day to settle have noticed small white specks in the honey (wax maybe?). Question is, would this be saleable or does it need further filtering? (have a jelly bag I could try to use to filter further..)

My other issue regards cleaning jars..I've washed my new jars and lids in warm soapy water, rinsed and placed in the oven on low to dry them off (no dishwasher unfortunately). However when I look at the jars through the light I can see evaporation stains inside from drops of water. Am wondering if there is a way to eliminate this? Have tried more washing/rinsing, draining upside down on teatowels (water stays in jars)..maybe there's something fundamental I'm missing? Not sure if it's just a cosmetic issue (jars are clean and dry) but it's driving me up the wall..am reluctant to resort to wiping inside as it might contaminate the jars.

As always any advice would be greatfully received :)

If they were new jars with lids fitted, I wouldn't have washed them, in fact I only ever buy fitted save doing all that,

as for the honey, you can filter as many times as you want and still sell, I sell fine filtered and rough filtered,

I live in a hard water area and noticed 'water marks' on my jars when they'd dried in the oven, despite a hot wash and rinse in the dishwasher. But I found that once the jars are filled, the water marks on the inside don't show and any on the outside can be polished off at the labelling stage. No need to start mucking around with tea towels on the insides!

I live in a hard water area and noticed 'water marks' on my jars when they'd dried in the oven, despite a hot wash and rinse in the dishwasher. But I found that once the jars are filled, the water marks on the inside don't show and any on the outside can be polished off at the labelling stage. No need to start mucking around with tea towels on the insides!

:iagree: My jars are fine and you can't see the water marks.

Introducing a tea towel will introduce contamination, so don't bother.

Trouble with using out of the box is a) you don't know how they were cleaned and b) how they were stored.

Any contaminant on the outside will be introduced as you handle the jars and honey is food.

I was doubly careful this year as my jars were in a garage that was a bit damp.

I've recently extracted my first batch of honey but have a couple of issues I was wondering if I could get some advice about..

I filtered my honey from the extractor through a nylon double strainer into a settling tank with honey gate, has had a few days to settle. I've filled a couple of jars but after a day to settle have noticed small white specks in the honey (wax maybe?). Question is, would this be saleable or does it need further filtering? (have a jelly bag I could try to use to filter further..)

My other issue regards cleaning jars..I've washed my new jars and lids in warm soapy water, rinsed and placed in the oven on low to dry them off (no dishwasher unfortunately). However when I look at the jars through the light I can see evaporation stains inside from drops of water. Am wondering if there is a way to eliminate this? Have tried more washing/rinsing, draining upside down on teatowels (water stays in jars)..maybe there's something fundamental I'm missing? Not sure if it's just a cosmetic issue (jars are clean and dry) but it's driving me up the wall..am reluctant to resort to wiping inside as it might contaminate the jars.

As always any advice would be greatfully received :)

These days I only ever use the twin strainer, the finer should be enough to stop any wax from passing through. Our jars are swilled in clean water and dried in the oven for small batches or dishwasher on rapid (just water) for large batches.
I'd try filling one and see what happens with the water mark.

Trouble with using out of the box is a) you don't know how they were cleaned and b) how they were stored.

Any contaminant on the outside will be introduced as you handle the jars and honey is food.

I was doubly careful this year as my jars were in a garage that was a bit damp.

I don't keep my new jars in a garage or garden shed - boxes stored sealed in my nice clean attic when I'm bottling the box gets turned upside down and opened - all the jars are open end down to stop anything falling into them and the whole ninety are gone in no time at all.

Thanks for all the advice..going to stick with double straining, and not worry about the water marks (they were pretty small, tried filling a jar and couldn't see them). Just waiting on labels now, quite exciting :)

If you place the tea towel on a wire rack, either one of the shelves from the oven or one of those racks you put biscuits/cakes on after cooking. Then put the jar upside down on the towel and leave overnight. This will allow air to get in and out of the jar and prevent any water remaining.

Can we be sure the jars were not manufactured in China ? How long was that part-pack sitting on the shelf at the suppliers ? I wash them in hot water and wipe dry with paper towels.

Latest posts

Back