Honey extraction shopping list 😁

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Lang

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Only one
My hive has two honey supers that are pretty much full and capped.
I've ordered a refractometer, a double sieve/filter and a frame extractor.

I was wondering....obviously I need some buckets....will two 20L be enough?
Also how many jars should I get?

...and lastly...sorry for the questions....what uncapping tool or tools should I get??

Ta muchly 😎😁

If there National supers and all frames are capped you will possibly extract 22lb - 35lb aldepending .
I can get around 45-60 8 oz jars per super.
I would buy a uncapping folk.
As to buckets 15kg /30lb buckets will be perfect per super .

The jar question is up to you I use 12 oz hex at home and average 33 12 oz jars per bucket.
Enjoy extracting your honey crop .

I use an uncapping knife - a wicked looking beastie with a serrated edge. I find I can slice off a very thin layer of capping, starting at the bottom of the frame and cutting upward.
With buckets, bigger is better as sometimes a super will yield more than you think.
As Curly, jars are according to taste - I use 1lb round jars and buy 72 at a time.

I use an uncapping knife - a wicked looking beastie with a serrated edge. I find I can slice off a very thin layer of capping, starting at the bottom of the frame and cutting upward.
With buckets, bigger is better as sometimes a super will yield more than you think.
As Curly, jars are according to taste - I use 1lb round jars and buy 72 at a time.
A heated uncapping knife if you want cappings or a hot air gun if you don't want to mess around with cappings. You need a large tray and a piece of wood with a nail through the middle that you fasten to one end of the tray. You can put the end of your top bar on the point of the nail and uncap with either of the two methods. The cappings will fall into the tray. Not quite that easy but can post a photo if that will help!
As in this thread
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threa...ing-a-hot-air-gun-for-those-interested.51212/

Last edited:

...and lastly...sorry for the questions....what uncapping tool or tools should I get??

Ta muchly 😎😁
A 1950s household bread saw is my favourite uncapping tool, a stainless steel double strainer to sit on the rim of the bucket. Plus a few thick old books to adjust the height of the bucket and to support the extractor in a tipped position when running the honey into the bucket. Necessity is the mother of invention.

The uncapping knives sold by the main culprits are pretty average. The small handles are really uncomfortable after a period and they’re to short on the blade, you don’t get a good saw action. Try a commercial type bread knife from suppliers like Nisbets or other catering suppliers, better sized handle and a longer blade than normal.

Last edited:
Hot air gun (FAR less messy)
Lots of cardboard on floor and all surfaces.
Lots of cloths and warm soapy water.

Having tried different electric heated knives, crush and strain, various unheated knives and an uncapping fork, I used a roller last season. I was intrigued to see much of the cappings had stayed on the frame after spinning. It's my favourite method at this stage but I'll have to see what the bees do with the frames for next season.

Last edited:
I extracted my first ever honey harvest and got about 12kg from 13 national super frames.
I used the following tools:
• uncapping knife
• uncapping fork
• single sieve
• 3 frame extractor
• 20L bucket with gate (15L would be more than enough)
• 41 x 8oz jars / 24 x 55ml jars to give out as samples/ couple 1kg jars for home.
• silicone spatula to clean edges of extractor
• tray to collect wax frame cappings
-------------------------------------------------------
To enhance my next extraction Im thinking of buying:
• A clean cut honey gate
• 10L bucket
• Double sieve
• Nylon mesh bag to collect wax cappings to spin
• 5" stand to sit the bucket on when jarring honey in bottles.

Ta muchly 😎😁
When uncapping I use a heat gun gently over the frame to melt capping,less intrusive to comb and less damage for bees to repair .

This is all fantastic information for next years harvest. The tops picks for me are the heat gun (intriguing) and the mesh bag for the cappings (No need for mesh bag with heat gun!).
I‘be been using a catering bread knife and capping tool (for slightly inverted frames) which require constant clearing. I also use a large flexible paint scraper for shifting honey soaked cappings around in the de-capping tray too.
All very messy whatever your approach. Heat gun could potentially and largely reduce that.
Great thread!

Latest posts

Back