Air in honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just extracted some honey, Spun frames, filtered and left in settling tank for 24hrs. Removed air bubbles from surface using cling film and jarred the honey. There are still some air bubbles in the jar, probably due to my lack of jarring skills.
Should I allow to settle again and re-jar again or just leave it? Will it keep OK.
Honey is for home use, not for selling.
Thanks

It should keep just fine.Air bubbles will rise to the top eventually and maybe form a 'whitish layer' on the top, don't worry about it as its for home use. I often leave honey to settle for a few days, the cling film certainly removes virtually all the bubbles/scum. Being mean I usually 'squeeze out' the clingfilm and use the bubble honey on my toast, tastes fine and I'm still alive!

I always leave mine settle for at least 7 days, 24hrs is just not long enough to leave honey settle. During the 7 days I remove the 'scum' 3 times, I also do a final removal just before jarring.

I use a brew belt around the settling tank (only 100 ltr tank). Normally gets the honey air free in 24 to 48 hours. Cold honey holds the air bubbles longer.
Also if hand jarring let the honey run down the side of the jar when filling, this can reduce air bubbles.
Small air bubbles can be removed by gentle warming of the jars unless it's set honey.
I don't bother with skimming the top I use the last couple of scummy jars to make mead or give to a friend in exchange for honey cake.

Honey is for home use, not for selling.
Unless putting honey in a show, does it matter?

Next time you're in a supermarket, check the jars of authentic honey and you'll see plenty of bubbles.

On the other hand, customers may object if they found that I was adding another layer of processing, so I don't.

If they ask, I tell them what it is. Nobody has been so alarmed by bubbles that a jar has been rejected.

Unless putting honey in a show, does it matter?

Next time you're in a supermarket, check the jars of authentic honey and you'll see plenty of bubbles.

On the other hand, customers may object if they found that I was adding another layer of processing, so I don't.

If they ask, I tell them what it is. Nobody has been so alarmed by bubbles that a jar has been rejected.
:iagree:

Latest posts

Back