Can you use aluminium material when processing honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
I know that tin plate extractors and settling tanks are a thing of the past and stainless steel is the norm but is aluminium OK to use when handling honey. Just asking

Ideally no, honey is an acidic food and aluminium isn't great with acidic foods.

Not really From my experienc.
many years ago I left some heather comb offcuts in a aluminium butchers tray, and it turned the tray black on the contact side

Not really From my experienc.
many years ago I left some heather comb offcuts in a aluminium butchers tray, and it turned the tray black on the contact side
I think, if any ali is being used, long term contact is the issue. It's no good for storage etc. but it's the same with any aluminium utensil used for food processing (the majority of commercial kitchens use aluminium utensils) it's OK if he contact is short term but if an acidic food (think of jams etc.) is left sitting in it for a prolonged period (say overnight) then there's going to be an issue

Short term yes ,but storage no-remember all the guff about aluminium saucepans giving OAP's Parkinsons disease.
It's not using utensils for food use that causes Parkinsons ... the exposure levels are so low with pans and other utensils it is insignifcant. The people who were affected worked in industries where aluminium was being smelted or being worked and being exposed to high levels of microscopic aluminium particles.

As JBM says ... As long as they being used for cooking and not long term storage ... they are fine.

Latest posts

Back