Beginners and Books

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybloke

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
how many books on Beekeeping do most Beginners own? and have they read them?
there seem to be a lot of very basic questions being asked, stuff which is well covered in most Beekeeping books and Beekeeping Magazines.
are folk too tight to invest in a decent book?

When I started out I was advised by an experienced beekeeper to either buy one book and stick to it, or to buy at least 5 and pick and choose the best bits. Good advice I think.
Don't forget though, many new beeks post questions on the forum as a way of introducing themselves and to seek reassurance.

You are asking for trouble, with a post like that! But I do agree - some of the questions do demonstrate a lack of something.

I just looked in my personal 'bee library' and reckon I had read about 3 or 4 before I started (some from the public library, too). I started with a good background to the subject as well.

RAB

I kind of agree - even before I came in contact with my first bee, I had read 3 beekeeping books cover to cover, and could see people on here asking questions that I knew the answer to, when they already had bees.

I quite understand that everyone asks a silly question sometimes, and I'm certainly one for asking a question I think I already know the answer to, just to get some other opinions.

But yes, that said - I do think people should read a little more before they embark on beekeeping - and should maybe research a problem a little online before they post - the answers are often there in black and white - whether from this forum, or from other websites.
(although look out for those Americans - they have some funny ideas!) :D

As a brand new Beekeeper (yet to get my nuc of bees..2 weeks to go), i have joined the local BBKA, bought the book Get Started In BeeKeeping and read it back to front and inside out.

Bought the DVD The Honeybee by Gill Sentinella watch that about 4 times.

Read laods and loads of post on here.

But i still like to ask question and get to know people.

But it has to be said everyone has their own way of doing things and asking too many people can be confusing

Hey I am new to this, first bees last week, got 4 books and read them and have asked a basic question.
I have found that the books have plenty of answers but not much experience, thats where you guys come in.
I have learnt that bees dont follow a timetable, they react differently from one hour to the next, as indeed does the weather and the timing of the seasons. If there is one book the bees read I need it.
Experience is what I need, my local BKA, my bee buddy, my fellow bee keepers on this forum and my bees are giving me this. I am learning all the time and will make mistakes.
There was a range of answers to my question on here and I took a considered view of these along with my limited book knowledge and decided on my course of action. The bees seemed to find what I did acceptable so I will probably use that experience next time........and it will all be different.
Give us chance to gain experience that we cant find in DVD's, books and classrooms and keep sharing your advice and experience with us and we will get there.
Believe me I have met no beginner yet that wouldnt be devestated if they lost some bee's.
Keep up the good work and we will get there.
Cheers

I started with Hamilton's Art of Beekeeping, and 30 years later I still think it is an excellent book. Richard Taylor's Joys of beekeeping is one to search out, and any of Manley's three books.

how many books on Beekeeping do most Beginners own? and have they read them?
there seem to be a lot of very basic questions being asked, stuff which is well covered in most Beekeeping books and Beekeeping Magazines.
are folk too tight to invest in a decent book?

Oy Grumpy!

The more you read the more questions come up. Different seasons bring up different questions which can't all be answered from a book. You cannot beat the experience and advice of a 'seasoned' beekeeper ( and I don't mean one which has been sprinkled liberally with salt and pepper!)

So consider this a telling off and leave us 'wet behind the ears' newbies alone.

Oh and another thing....... If you don't like the thread someone starts don't bl**dy well read it!

There - phew I feel better now!

FB:reddevil:

I consider myself well and truly told off, Janet!! ;)

I had to give up counting my beekeeping books when I got to fifteen (the current Lady DD, who may not know the full extent of my library - or beekeeping equipment - came in and disturbed me).

But like others, I find that the more I read the more questions I have. It is just the same with the practical experience - the more time I spend with the bees, the clearer it becomes that I will never understand them!

Latest posts

Back