Beginner, never been stung

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To get back to OP.
Most will show an allergic reaction to bee stings to some degree or another. Actual anaphylactic shock is uncommon. Get stung in the presence of others. Chances are it will hurt and swell and itch a bit, but will be OK. I react very little these days.

Best info I could find from Medscape (US) - refers to hymenoptera in general

United States

Ants sting 9.3 million people each year. Other Hymenoptera species account for more than 1 million stings annually. Anaphylaxis secondary to Hymenoptera envenomation affects roughly 3% of the general population.[2] Systemic reactions leading to life-threatening manifestations occurs in approximately 0.4-0.8% of children and 3% of adult patients.[3]
Mortality/Morbidity

Large local reactions occur in 17-56% of those stung. In one study, 1-2% experienced a generalized reaction, and 5% sought medical care.
Individuals with large local reactions have a 5-10% risk of subsequent development of a severe systemic reaction if re-stung.[3]
An updated review of animal-related deaths in 2005 determined that Hymenoptera stings accounted for 533 deaths in the United States from 1991-2001. This number represented 70.2% of all venomous animal-related fatalities in the United States during this period.[4]
In 1989, 32 deaths were reported from fire ant stings in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, and Georgia.[5]
Wasps and bees cause 30-120 deaths yearly in the United States.

Race

No race predilection exists.
Sex

Hymenoptera stings of all types are more common in males than in females, probably because of more frequent exposure.
Although most deaths from toxic reactions occur at extremes of age, frequency of bites is not age dependent. Peak incidence of death from anaphylaxis is in people aged 35-45 years.

Dr Ex

Great replies !!!

Very helpfull Thanks for taking the time to impart such good advice. V.interesting re the necessity to get stung more than once.

My experience - got stung twice doing course and very little reaction. On subsequent stings reaction progressively worse till Dr. advised and prescribed an epipen for me to carry. Two years down the line and after many stings, am getting very little reaction so have obviously built up immunity. Hopefully it will last but one of our members had to give up bees after many years as he suddenly developed really bad reactions to stings.
Have not needed the Epipen but still carry it just in case!.
P.

"one of our members had to give up bees after many years as he suddenly developed really bad reactions to stings."

recent change in medications to blame?

I have been keeping bees for 3 years ,I have 4 bee colonies and have handled many other colonies on different courses etc including a lively hive during my Basic exam.I have never been stung does this make me unique? !! I wear marigold gloves.

No it's cos you come from rugby...I was born there....makes us hardy!

You are a lucky person the bees obvious see you as no threat, To Qoute Hedi "the bees are your friend"

I have been keeping bees for 3 years ,I have 4 bee colonies and have handled many other colonies on different courses etc including a lively hive during my Basic exam.I have never been stung does this make me unique? !! I wear marigold gloves.
No, Well yes-ish I have only ever been stung twice once as a young lad and last year when one got through a hole in my veil and as I give the hat a shake to attempt to get her out I trapped her between my forehead and hat rim, say no more, one good thing no reaction which I was a bit worried about. Some beekeepers say I'm not trying hard enough but naked beekeeping might offend some local farmers or sheep. You might ask do I have evil bees, not really only one is a bit protective (black bees). After all said I don't take chances, full suit gloves and wellies, and on the other hand horse flies love me, they can't get enough of me on warm days and wherever they bit I swell up and itch for weeks after.

Latest posts

Back