Beestings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fahey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 national hives some 14x12 and 2 nucs
My wife got her first sting on her thumb about a week ago and yesterday it started to swell and its still very swollen and sore today. She always reacts to insect bites, mosquitoes etc. whereas they don't bother me much.
Have any members reacted in this way and if so do you have any advice.

I don't really suffer any reaction to bee stings other than a bout of swearing
:biggrinjester:

I tend to swell in the immediate area, so when I was stung on the back of my hand the whole hand swelled, but it did not spread beyond the wrist. Mine tends to swell the following day and last about 3 days. Not really painful but hot and itchy.
My hubby was stung for the first time ever a few weeks back and had no reaction until exactly a week later when it swelled a little and lasted about 2 days. We all react differently. The time to worry is if you get swelling or rash not in the area of the sting, or trouble breathing.

If she's swelling now from a sting she got a week ago, it's probably an infection in the sting wound rather than the sting itself that she's reacting to.

Personally though, I was worried about how I'd react to bee stings before I started beekeeping, because I have a half a dozen other allergies. But then, I got my first sting, barely swelled up at all, and every time since then I've hardly had any swelling. Which is ironic because I'm allergic to practically everything else.

Fahey,
Visit to GP seems sensible. For goodness sake don't bung up A&E though as it's not in their professional remit.

I don't react much but when stung several times on the face and neck I found Piriton antihistamine helped.

If she's swelling now from a sting she got a week ago, it's probably an infection in the sting wound rather than the sting itself that she's reacting to.

Agreed.

Sting swelling would occur in a matter of hours, and should not be lasting a week.
// so this is worth showing to a medic...

The 'bother' from a sting can be reduced by getting the sting spike out of your skin ASAP. Seconds count! Just scrape it out - even a fingernail will do it.
The other thing is to take an antihistamine pill within minutes. Piriton is the brand leader, but some medics on here have suggested that own-brand alternatives with the same active ingredient are at least as good.
Different antihistamines can have different side effects (and effectiveness) so its best to discuss any possible medical complications with the Pharmacist.

Last edited:
Normally don't react on hands, body etc but got stung under each eye a couple of weeks ago, whole body swelled up and completely covered in a rash. Had to have a course of steroids to sort it out .

View attachment 8700

Swelling is normal. A gp isn't going to wave a magic wand. If worried use anti septic.

To be honest, I eat so many kebabs, the odd bit of extra swelling is barely noticed on me....lol

Mosquitoes give me huge lumps, midges drive me mad but so far bee stings last about 5 minutes, I think it depends on where you are stung.

I have kept up to 8 hives of bees for approx 8 years and like some of the previous posters have had varying reactions to single and multiple bee stings, from no swelling at all, and also arm swollen to elbow etc, which has remained for up to 36 hours. In march i was changing fondant over feed hole and was stung three times on hand in quick succession. (I have to admit i did curse the little darlings). I went home all ok but 30 minutes later my blood pressure dropped, heartbeat went through the roof and i felt light headed and not well at all. I unlocked front door, sat in chair with phone in hand and sat it out. (Always remember your British !). After about 40 minutes i felt much better but symptoms came back after another 20 minutes for 5 to 10 mins approx. Since then i have taken anti histemines prior to hive inspections, taken phone and covered up well as apiary very isolated and i am always alone when with the bees. I have had a couple of stings, removed them quickly and all ok. Yesterday i had a single sting in little finger and left in for 45 seconds before removing to verify that the severe previous reaction was a one off. More fool me ?. All ok for approx 6 to 7 minutes when again same symptoms as before occurred. Sat under tree out of way with phone in hand for 20 minutes and then able to stand ok, after 40 minutes all ok. Visit to GP today, two epi pens and advised get rid of bees or risk them getting rid of me. Never think that you are impervious to be stings as today you may be but that is no guarantee for the future.

Latest posts

Back