Bees & the Law

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy-glide

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok your called to a swarm and find they are in the fabric of a house.

If they cant be removed does the law permit a Pest Control Officer to kill the bees?

So are the bees protected in any way?

Thought if you found a bat in the loft you are not allowed to remove or kill it so wondering if this extend to the humble bee and its many variants.

Only an insect!! Many people don't care... but they are learning the value. Just not worth protecting...Hmmm - Life without bats v life without pollinating insects?

Yes it's illegal to kill them. Even if you kill them in the house, they will have comb and brood that needs to be removed. Rotting honey and brood will make a lovely new feature wall for the house owner. If the comb is not removed it will rot and or be a source of poison for feral or an domestic hives.

The wild life and country side act 1981 - this is the actual killing of them

The control of pesticides regulations 1986 - about how they would be killed as the pesticides are not likely to be sold or licensed for that purpose.

I would explain that they could be removed, and say you'll get them out, but are not responsible for the removal / replacement of bricks or what ever to gain access, nor are you liable for anything that happens as a result of that process. I would get that in writting.

Last edited:
Only an insect!! Many people don't care... but they are learning the value. Just not worth protecting...Hmmm - Life without bats v life without pollinating insects?

Don't forget many species of bats are pollinators too and at far greater threat than bees.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes it's illegal to kill them. Even if you kill them in the house, they will have comb and brood that needs to be removed. Rotting honey and brood will make a lovely new feature wall for the house owner. If the comb is not removed it will rot and or be a source of poison for feral or an domestic hives.

The control of pesticides regulations 1986 - about how they would be killed as the pesticides are not likely to be sold or licensed for that purpose.

I would explain that they could be removed, and say you'll get them out, but are not responsible for the removal / replacement of bricks or what ever to gain access, nor are you liable for anything that happens as a result of that process. I would get that in writting.

So what does the wildlife act actually say about killing bees?
Pesticides are available from lots of high street shops as well

Don't forget many species of bats are pollinators too and at far greater threat than bees.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I know bats are precious. My pal runs Sussex bat hospital, but people seem to respect insects less. All needed... (except wasps in my hives)

Think he meant the bats. Or maybe not reading again... Houses have honey and comb in them for years , walls seem to cope.

Amanda Millar... bat crazy lass. Runs a great outfit. Was on tv recently, maybe with Jenny?

I know bats are protected but the statement

'Yes it's illegal to kill them. Even if you kill them in the house, they will have comb and brood that needs to be removed'

Seems to imply he thinks bees have the same protection - they don't

Bee colonies can be destroyed using APPROVED insecticides. The law is broken when the label of approved insecticides is not adhered to and the entrance is not sealed up to prevent robbing. Tasty fine for those that don't by HSE Due to contaminating the food chain.

There is no law against killing them though.
The HSE applies to people that are doing it as a paid job, and they only kick up a fuss if another beekeeper complains they have lost bees through it.

So are the bees protected in any way?

Thought if you found a bat in the loft you are not allowed to remove or kill it so wondering if this extend to the humble bee and its many variants.

no bees in the uk are protected as the law stands at the moment

I would explain that they could be removed, and say you'll get them out, but are not responsible for the removal / replacement of bricks or what ever to gain access, nor are you liable for anything that happens as a result of that process. I would get that in writting. it is not illegal to kill bees

:iagree:]No it's not where on earth did you hear that? - they have no protection in la

Latest posts

Back