The law and bee keeping , the use of agricultural land for bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of putting half a dozen empty hives on if I get the all clear from enforcement to see if nuisance then becomes an issue with Council
It would be good to see their faces when I explain that the stings are not from my bees as the hives are empty !
I have a small garden , how much space would I need if I located the hives in my garden ?
Just go and knock on a few farmers doors. In my experience, they are very happy to give a small corner of a wood / field that they can't use for livestock of growing crops to a beekeeper in exchange fo a couple of jars of honey. Worth keeping in your back pocket as an emergency in case your current apiary does work anymore.

We did similar many years ago, our house had a small field backing onto a school. I’d just started beekeeping with my mum and our 2 WBC hives were at the club out apiary. The idea was they would eventually come home, the spare kit and there was plenty was taken home to repair/paint. My mum suggested sticking them into the field in full view of neighbours and the school to draw any complaints. Sure enough a couple of weeks later there was a phone call from the school. A meeting with the school and I think a council member was organised at the fence line. My mum and I duly wondered down with me in tow, I was 10😂
There then followed a period of them explaining issues with bees. Parents worried children getting stung and bees in the swimming pool, yes those days local village primary’s came equipped with swimming pools! My mum turned to me and sent me up to the hives and I duly dismantled them trying not to laugh. We never heard another word from the school! Our 2 hives came home and numbers increased to about 20 tucked behind a hedge out of view but there was always a couple left in the field. Two WBC hives with bees and I think the extra kit back then cost the grand sum of £100😳

Just go and knock on a few farmers doors. In my experience, they are very happy to give a small corner of a wood / field that they can't use for livestock of growing crops to a beekeeper in exchange fo a couple of jars of honey. Worth keeping in your back pocket as an emergency in case your current apiary does work anymore.
But according to this contravention officer that’s not allowed😂 as it’s a hobby and turning agricultural land into garden!

We did similar many years ago, our house had a small field backing onto a school. I’d just started beekeeping with my mum and our 2 WBC hives were at the club out apiary. The idea was they would eventually come home, the spare kit and there was plenty was taken home to repair/paint. My mum suggested sticking them into the field in full view of neighbours and the school to draw any complaints. Sure enough a couple of weeks later there was a phone call from the school. A meeting with the school and I think a council member was organised at the fence line. My mum and I duly wondered down with me in tow, I was 10😂
There then followed a period of them explaining issues with bees. Parents worried children getting stung and bees in the swimming pool, yes those days local village primary’s came equipped with swimming pools! My mum turned to me and sent me up to the hives and I duly dismantled them trying not to laugh. We never heard another word from the school! Our 2 hives came home and numbers increased to about 20 tucked behind a hedge out of view but there was always a couple left in the field. Two WBC hives with bees and I think the extra kit back then cost the grand sum of £100😳
Funnily enough I had the same idea to draw out nuisance complaints whilst no bees there

I’m looking into this thank you

Hi all,
The land owner has changed his mind and has stopped me putting the hives on his land so I am now considering putting the two hives in my own garden . This will no doubt create a nuisance complaint by the same complaining neighbour so I am looking to screen them off from view as far as possible .
Any advice on space needed from fence and advice on dealing with nuisance complaints so uk I’d be very much appreciated

Thank you for all your help and support
Melanie

Don’t let your first experience put you off, if you took a poll here the vast majority would not have had the same experience. I wouldn’t blame the land owner often it’s hard enough fighting your own battles let alone others or those you don’t need to. Having bees out of site and mind is a good start as to space, you can operate in tiny spaces literally the foot print of the hives and wiggle room around. However bigger is always better room to move the inevitable extra hives and kit, it’s really a question of what’s available/practical. Bees/hives in the garden are great the experience and ability to do it without causing issues often comes with a reasonable amount of time or ability.

I started with bees in my garden. Lovely idea and really convenient. Drawbacks;
it can lead to you messing with them to often.
You start with 1 or 2 hives then its a split here and there due to swarm cells and now its 3 or 4... and you think to yourself "not too much extra work and the benefits of a couple extra are huge" and now it 5 or 6 lol.
You do lose a portion of garden, and if its not that big, your neighbours, visitors and pets can get stung.

Knock a few farmers doors. Whats the worst they can say..No? Be honest, explain what happened with a neighbour who doesn't want bees nearby.

If they say yes, I would ask if they can suggest a spot that is fairly accessible, away from public footpaths and out of sight. A sheltered position away from the wind would be beneficial too.

I did it earlier this year and got 2 locations out of two doors knocked. tell them how you'll respect their property.... I spoke to one during the 40° heatwave and explained how I dont use smoke often, and in the hot dry periods I use a water spray so no chance of embers setting light to their crops or hedgerows. He said if I get more hives would I consider putting them on his dads farm too, so I now have a back up 3rd out apiary.

With the drop off in insect numbers and the move to more natural farming methods, I dont think many will shun the idea. Plus the knowledge of rent paid in a few jars of honey every year its a no brainer for them.

I noticed the BBKA (if i’m allowed to mention them here) have a map on their site of people looking to have hives in their property, might be worth checking.

You could build a bee shed, nobody will ever know they are there!

In my garden I have a bee shed, they open out to a meter space with a fence and dog rose hedge, the bees fly up and away overhead. I’ve got fields out the back of the fence so nobody to bother. My two immediate neighbours know but nobody else. They swarmed this year (I know i’m supposed to be on top of it, but it was a sneaky cell in the super), anyway I managed to rehive them without any of my neighbours noticing!

Also a good idea to keep nice bees, if nobody gets stung, nobody can really complain!

Good luck!

Just thought......... I have bees in both farm land and paddocks....... just waiting for the knock on the door from the planning officer to tell me which one is not allowed 😄
Hey, how are your bees in those places? Hope no knock on the door ever.:D

The sound like the sort of neighbours who will read your actions as aggressive and unneighbourly, and make stopping you their project. Expect repeated visits from the local environment office. I'd keep a small nuc as far from their house and boundary as possible, and as you say fit a tall fence. The bigger your hive the greater the chances of somebody getting stung.

In the interest of relations it would be best to find a better site for big hives.

Hi all,
The land owner has changed his mind and has stopped me putting the hives on his land so I am now considering putting the two hives in my own garden . This will no doubt create a nuisance complaint by the same complaining neighbour so I am looking to screen them off from view as far as possible .
Any advice on space needed from fence and advice on dealing with nuisance complaints so uk I’d be very much appreciated

Thank you for all your help and support
Melanie
I have (currently) 3 hives and a nuc in our garden. Due to weird shape of the plot, we have 6 neighbours round our boundary. I let them all know I’m keeping bees (except one who is a bit mad and the furthest from the apiary). I have a 6 foot mesh fence round them so they fly up. In nearly 4 years, only one neighbour has been stung (& he admitted it was his fault).
So far it’s been ok….. but my bees are gentle and the one time I inspected and they started to get feisty, I closed up and walked away.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back