Bees stolen from an Anglesey farm, North Wales Police

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were taken from three hives on the outskirts of Cemaes Bay, some time between 30 July and 4 August. BBC statement can be construed as three colonies. One farmer spoke to me about it. He said "So if I have three sheep stolen I can go into a neighbouring farm and take three sheep away, haven't these people got anything better to do".

I don't.
By coincidence I was on holiday in Conway last week when this was in local paper.
Found the bait hives business rather unlikely/odd. There are obvious inaccuracies in the reporting which really does not have to be pointed out with wise cracks anyway.
JMB often thinks he funny but usually isn't imho. He also thinks he has to have the last say so am expecting some flak. :D

Expected nothing less from you - your only contribution to this forum seems to be trolling and trying to get a bite

I am disappointed. Is that's the best you can do.

Rather than have to give an opinion on everything and be correct all the time, I contribute when I actually can/or think I can add something. e.g. The comment about bait hives being strange. You see nobody had picked up on that or commented on it.

Ed: In addition I felt some balance was needed to show not everybody agrees with you as the poster did.

...Also the fact that they took them from my home.....
We know most news stories end up like the result of chinese whispers by the time they've passed through several hands. Cut to fit by someone barely aware of the subject, headlines added by someone else again and so on. Leaving aside any second guessing, can we know what actually happened from somebody who was there? Is the suggestion of tracking devices just padding by the Telegraph? Hardly relevant to a queen being taken.

Three queens were removed from full colonies and the hives reassembled as they were? As the Telegraph suggests seems risky working so close to the owner. Almost certainly in protective gear, there for maybe half an hour or more in what we'd presume was full daylight. Even spent the time reassembling the hives rather than taking what they wanted and getting out.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . Three queens were removed from full colonies and the hives reassembled as they were? As the Telegraph suggests seems risky working so close to the owner. Almost certainly in protective gear, there for maybe half an hour or more in what we'd presume was full daylight. Even spent the time reassembling the hives rather than taking what they wanted and getting out.

Sounds more like an insurance scam! :ohthedrama:

I am being to wish I had not bothered to start this post.

What is with all the bitchiness, not a good advert to any new members.

Nothing new there then.

Not good !!!

:rules:

Spot on Mark, can you set a time when winter arrives and the forum can turn to s*** so that newbies can stay away and probably not return?

At least then all of the 'old hands' can P on each other without offending anyone, but it is not good for beekeeping.

P.S. The OP is new to the forum and posted for OUR info details of thefts, HOW did it turn to an argument? If we were local to the theft we would want to know.

Last edited:
Sounds more like an insurance scam! :ohthedrama:
No actually if you check your insurance it classed as loss of bees!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel sorry for you as you think so little of your fellow beekeeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you xxxxxxxxx just for the record we are a charity ie donate all of our honey sales to the RNLI and this experience has been horrific!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always though I could count on the support of us beekeepers but to read to horrid things people have said about us I'm to be honest "gutted"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They reassembled the hives so if I wasn't in the hives every day teaching I wouldn't of known any change......... My home is a farm and my home has 20 acres........ There has been a witness come forward and bugger me it was a man mid 30's in a beesuit at 9:30 at night putting wooden boxes into the boot of his car... Just for the record just a few thing: yes I've been beekeeping for a "few" years. Yes the media can blow things up..... Yes we are a charity " not just here for the honey" we donate it all to the RNLI........ And also thanks for your amazing support!

Well. Felin, what can I say? Rarely does a thread on this forum go down the drain quite so quickly as this one. It was good of you to come on the forum and bother to give us a few more of the facts. Losing bees is like any theft, it is an invasion of your privacy and makes you feel so angry. I hope that someone gets brought to justice.
I also hope you stay on this site and don't let the in fighting and rash comments dissuade you from giving some of your expertise to others.
The forum is meant to be beekeepers giving each other help and advice but sometimes it doesn't seem that way. Good luck with your ventures in the future.
E :)

on the lunchtime news today

A 'long' and balanced item on the PM prog. Radio 4 this evening ,towards the end of the prog. I assume the lady being interviewed is the OP.

rotten thefts

I was sorry to hear about the hives being stolen. And I thought the news was quite well presented. They said queen was worth £80! I must be under charging!:yeahthat:

yes I heard £80-00 and did I read right that they stole the queens at 9. 30 at night??? HOW can they see them in the dark and im sure the owner has had them pinched. but this year especially queens have been seen in my hives 1 week then gone the next. had bee inspector here 4 weeks ago we marked 15 queens I looked last week and 2 are queenless no eggs// no brood// no queen.. now where have they gone??? have they been stolen I could think they have. how does the lady know that they have been stolen.. obviously the hive has ,but the queens who knows
this post is not to get at anyone but how does she know the queens have been nicked at 9 30???

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back