Bees not taking fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthehat

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,

I am a new beekeeper based in the southeast. I had had a block of fondant on the hive for a couple of months now but the bees just don't seem to be interested in it. They have taken about a tablespoons worth. I even changed the fondant from a homemade to a reputable beekeeping suppliers fondant just in case the girls were being fussy. Still no joy.

I am guessing that I should heft the broodbox to understand if thy have enough stores or not but I don't have a clue what an empty/full broodbox should feel like?

Anyone else seeing non-fondant-munching behaviour or have any advice?

Dan

Is your unit timber or poly? Do you have an empty similar one? Do you have a luggage scale.

To get literally a feel for the situation then you need to experience the weight.

If you have an empty unit then weigh it by tipping it up and if it is say 10 lbs then in reality it is 20 lbs.

Then weigh your hive and if it says 10 lbs then it is a total of 40 and all is good. Again weigh by tipping up to some 45 degrees.

I hope you follow this. And... if your hive says 40+ then they are already stuffed and have not need of the fondant. The other possibility is they are so weak they can't take advantage.

PH

Thanks for coming back Poly Hive.

Great idea! Yes, I do have a new empty timber brood box. I will make some tipping experiments as soon as.

Cheers

Dan

Some of mine have taken it down and some haven't, as what poly hive said if they need it they will

Maybe the bees just don't need it - how much syrup did they take in the autumn?
Top money saving tip for the future - don't waste your money on overpriced fondant from 'reputable beekeeping supplier' tap up your local baker and ask them if they can get you a box of baker's fondant :D

Hi Dan,
I am sure someone on this forum suggested as an emergency measure that you try to lift one side with three fingers = heavy, two fingers = getting light, one finger = starving.
I am putting fondant on some of mine tomorrow a mild day as they were collecting water like mad today which may be an indication that they have started brooding in earnest! Risky time of the year for starvation, but the hives should be getting lighter. Judgement call for the beek.
Have fun.

munching away now

what a difference a few weeks make. I took all your good advice thanks, found the hive to be pretty damn heavy through various lifting techniques so assumed they had enough stores.

Today i have found they have munched their way through most of the fondant and are eagerly waiting for a new delivery.

i guess my learning is just to keep a close eye on them. Happy days.

Dan

what a difference a few weeks make. I took all your good advice thanks, found the hive to be pretty damn heavy through various lifting techniques so assumed they had enough stores.

Today i have found they have munched their way through most of the fondant and are eagerly waiting for a new delivery.

i guess my learning is just to keep a close eye on them. Happy days.

Dan

One eye on the bees and the other on the weather :)

Remember soon they will need space to expand and if the brood box is full of stores that will cause other problems.

Latest posts

Back