Bees in roof

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could advise please. We've got a nest of bees living in our roof directly above our front door. They haven't caused us too many problems, but one of our neighbours recently complained, so they can't really stay. Do you think there's any hope of getting them out alive? It's difficult to tell exactly where they're going in and out and there's no evidence of them at all from inside the house.

I'd be extremely grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

Need some info as to where you are.. then maybe someone can come and assess.. You may need some of the area to be removed to get access. Are you prepared for that?

Need some info as to where you are.. then maybe someone can come and assess.. You may need some of the area to be removed to get access. Are you prepared for that?

:iagree:

get in touch with your local associations, they will usually be happy to advise

Yes, definitely. We're in north Birmingham. Just to clarify, we're beekeepers ourselves but not builders and don't have a clue how to go about dismantling a roof to get a colony out, if that is what's needed. Unfortunately I haven't found anyone with those skills who'd be prepared to do it with bees flying around. I've collected swarms but not from inside a roof (it's also pretty high up) and I'm not aware of anyone in our local association who'd be willing to do this.
Thanks so much for replies!

Last edited:
Have you checked in your attic that's if you mean the house roof, but not too sure if it's directly above your front door? a little more info would be good for us

Best thing would be to get a good substantial scaffolding put up, then get a good jack hammer, some are driven by compressed air, then start dismantling the house directly above the porch and up into the roof, until you find where the bees are... see if you can spot the queen.

Hi, Where are you, I work in Solihull, finish @14:00 every day this week/ 12 Friday.
I could pop over for a peek if not too far away?

If they're in the loft, how are they bothering the neighbours???

If they aren't bothering you I'd be tempted to leave them alone, given the cost of pulling your wall apart. Do bees in walls damage anything?

You can get something called a boar scope which you can use to look inside an engine.

Drill a hole in the wall and stick it through and look ok the screen to see if you can see the bees.

Easier then demolishing the house.

If you have time, i.e. a few weeks, rather than having to get them out immediately then google trap-out, there's some good articles and even a few you tube videos, would be an interesting beekeeping exercise.

You would in all likelihood lose the queen but if the aim is to get rid without simply killing then it's probably the cheapest option

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could advise please. We've got a nest of bees living in our roof directly above our front door. They haven't caused us too many problems, but one of our neighbours recently complained, so they can't really stay. Do you think there's any hope of getting them out alive? It's difficult to tell exactly where they're going in and out and there's no evidence of them at all from inside the house.

I'd be extremely grateful for any advice.

Thanks.
Q.1.
Are you living in a bungalow or a house?
Q.2.
is there a loft hatch? Q.2. (.1) if there is a loft hatch why have you not been up there to take a look.
Q.3.
Why are you not a member of your local association and asking them for help?

Q.1.
Are you living in a bungalow or a house?
Q.2.
is there a loft hatch? Q.2. (.1) if there is a loft hatch why have you not been up there to take a look.
Q.3.
Why are you not a member of your local association and asking them for help?

Not very helpful M E. From previous its been said it's high up and the local association are not interested.
I would be inclined to suit up and get a ladder to have a close look at the point of entry and to determine if it's a tiled roof or slated, also if there is Undertile felt. It may be relatively easy if the comb is accessible simply by lifting a few tiles for a cut out.
Pity it's so far away or I would have been happy to have a look see.

Yes, definitely. We're in north Birmingham. Just to clarify, we're beekeepers ourselves but not builders and don't have a clue how to go about dismantling a roof to get a colony out, if that is what's needed. Unfortunately I haven't found anyone with those skills who'd be prepared to do it with bees flying around. I've collected swarms but not from inside a roof (it's also pretty high up) and I'm not aware of anyone in our local association who'd be willing to do this.
Thanks so much for replies!
if u would pm me i am not too far away

Wow, thanks so much for all the replies everyone. Sorry for not coming on to reply sooner myself - I've got a young baby with a cold and haven't been able to get on my computer much.
MartinL and yellowrage 53, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your offers to come and have a look, thank you, but I'm not sure we're all that close to either of you so I think we should try and have more of a look ourselves first. We'd already had a good look in the loft (thanks for the suggestion) and there's no sign of them up there, but all your replies have convinced me it's worth at least having a go at lifting a few tiles to see if we can find anything that way.
Thanks again.

QUOTE=Amy;400715]Wow, thanks so much for all the replies everyone. Sorry for not coming on to reply sooner myself - I've got a young baby with a cold and haven't been able to get on my computer much.
MartinL and yellowrage 53, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your offers to come and have a look, thank you, but I'm not sure we're all that close to either of you so I think we should try and have more of a look ourselves first. We'd already had a good look in the loft (thanks for the suggestion) and there's no sign of them up there, but all your replies have convinced me it's worth at least having a go at lifting a few tiles to see if we can find anything that way.
Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:
It is not worth dismantling a wall for a swarm of bees IMHO and a trap out will save some bees, but will not get rid of them as you are unlikely to get the queen!

Best thing would be to get a good substantial scaffolding put up, then get a good jack hammer, some are driven by compressed air, then start dismantling the house directly above the porch and up into the roof, until you find where the bees are... see if you can spot the queen.

thanks hm....that cheered me no end !

Amy
if your going to take off any roof tiles which are very easy to remove, be carful not to damage the felt underneath as it will be a bit brittle, if you damage it ease up and slide some felt sheet under to make repair , and get roofer to make good

Back