bees flying in gales and rain ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerbees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
OK at the risk of sounding stupid here, I thought that our bees should be all snug inside the hive during rain and gale force winds ?

Went up today and the allotment is being blown to Scotland with winds coming off the West Coast, infact so strong are the winds I'm sure the Isle of Man looked like it was closer to shore today.

Hive 1 is being sensible and no sign of the bees, but hive 2 which we moved into a nice new hive last weekend had no end of bees flyng in and out and gathering by the entrance. They didn't look unhappy or under attack, and yesterday in torrential rain they were out flying as well ?

Perhaps we just have true Cumbrian bees determined not to let the weather get them down :) anyone else have this happen ?

Bees often fly in bad weather when others stay indoors.

The thing is its often hard know which is the most sensible at this time of year.

Is it the bees staying home perhaps conserving energy? Or the bees out looking for something that’s perhaps not available at the moment?

Personally I like the ones that fly.

Well they looked happy enough, and over the weekend in better weather they were coming back covered in pollen. Would be surprised if they could find any today though I could hardly stand up !

Nice to see them out and about though

The bees i have in the garden are the same. The wind or rain does not worry them. The ones in the apiary a few miles away however keep indoors when its miserable. Both hives are splits from the same source hive. the ones in the garden seem to be more productive though.
sent using tapatalk

Hi My girls seem to not bee bothered by wind and rain and they make a lovely
sight as they drop in over the fence.
I was worried at first thinking they may be lacking in stores and so had to brave the elements in order to survive, but on inspection this view was laid to rest as they were still filling the super and had plenty of stores.
so you are not alone I think they just like the challenge.

ZZ

bee-smillie

I could hardly stand up !

Nice to see them out and about though

Windy isn't it. Sounds like a train!!! Supposed to be worse your side of the county.
One of my lot are out bringing in pollen :)

County show tomorrow.......If you're going go early to catch the sunshine....hopefully....but bring waders in the afternoon.

My bees have been working during these horrendous weather conditions :)
Loads of balsam all around apiary and beyond makes for easier collection !
My bees work in the immediate area of their hives (this business of bees not foraging close to home doesn't stand up ) Balsam hanging over the hives is worked regularly :).
Location Location Location ;)
VM

My bees are like VM's. Lots of balsam 500 metres away so they are foraging on that .. despite the rain. Not as many as on a warm dry day.. but still bringing in nectar and lots of pollen..
Their normal flight path to balsam is about 8 metres high (I discovered it when painting an upstairs window) and follows the road downhill about 30-40 metres in height.. I suspect in this wind it's a bit lower .. but I'm not going on a ladder to find out :)

Yes, they're still foraging the balsam with me, in the wind and rain - the river is only 1,000 yards away and a stream about 500 in the other direction, they go three ways from my garden first straight up to clear the apple trees - down to the river direct, over the trees behind to the gardens and the stream or at a diagonal for the gardens to the West or downstream where there's more balsam - also loads of willowherb still flowering here.

It’s the shape of the Balsams flower that protects the pollen from the rain and the fact that the plant is very happy with colder weather it also continues to produce nectar again protected from the elements,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the more you think about it the better it gets.

I have Balsam not far from a couple of my hives but unlike last year the bees have hardly been that interested in it this year. I think this year has been dryer than last and its not had the same amount of mud this year.

Very little Balsam here and whatever there is must have been absolutely flattened by the hailstorm we've just had :(

Can we ban all discussion of Balsam the wonder plant? I don't have any near me and being right in the middle of the Peak Park I am unlikely to ever have any nearby - the plant police would just rip it up. I feel my bees are thoroughly deprived!!!!

Seems as though we that live in the wilds will have to manage on heather and ivy when it is outbee-smillie

No HB or heather here in my part of upland Suffolk. Though the girls have just started bringing in loads of ivy pollen

Sorry to rain on the parade but planting Himalayan Balsam is totally irresponsible. Sure it has much to offer both the bees and their keeper, there is no question that the plant is practically out of control. Adding to this equation and posting on a public forum about it brings all beekeepers into question. It may be in your garden but you will not contain it.

Is there Balsam where I am? Yes, there are not many places it hasn't reached. Thankfully it has not yet become the vast pink swathes seen in other locations. I could easily find a site with access to tons of the stuff but I'd rather some variety with my honey and my bees have access to plenty of other forage.

Not any HB around here, that I've seen, anyway. but there is some Jap Knotweed that the bees seem to be working.

Latest posts

Back