Want to apply Oxalic but bees are out flying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDW

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi There

I went out today to apply oxalic acid (today being the only date we could do it due to a hectic holiday schedule) and our bees are out flying, even bringing in pollen.

I'd really appreciate some advice on whether we should still apply it, and if so, do it now during the day while it's warm (but not all bees are there) or wait until the last of the daylight and catch more bees in the hive?

Varroa levels were quite heavy despite Apiguard treatment, so are keen to apply to OA.

All advice appreciated. (We are leaving the country tomorrow for 4 weeks so it's now or never - for this year, anyway!)

Definitely do it, and your thought of leaving it until later in the day was a good one.

Just done it and my bees are out flying too. It really is no big deal and if it keeps the mite count down for the start of spring then it has to be a good thing to do. Have you monitored lately and what is the mite drop?

Varroa levels were quite heavy despite Apiguard treatment, so are keen to apply to OA.
I really should read posts better before i reply. Sorry if your varroa count is high then get it done now. It is really easy.

I was waiting for the temp to drop to do mine, but I never got the chance - so my advice is do it now, absolutely! :)

When bees bring pollen, it is sign that brood exist.
And varroa load is heavy.

It is crude, but I PROPOSE THAT OPEN THE HIVE and take brood frames off.
Then trickle.

ok, if they have not brood.

I could think that you have much to loose, but easy to win.

**llllllll**

i looked my hive to day, why it is so restless. It calmed quite much when I gove water to it .
But what is happening there? I opened the hive and there was at least one frame of brood.
I added ventilation. If it stops brooding, at least I hope.

Temps are here now -4C and one micro millimeter snow.

Last edited:
oxalic

Ive just teated mine, its better to than not IMHO. BBKA news letter has an article and it says treat while theres a loose cluster, and thats exactly what ive been taught when its above 10 degrees.

Dave W

If your bees are out then leave it until an hour before dark they should be in by then. Then do the treatment. But anytime is better than not at all.

If we think about professionals, who have 500 or 1000 hives, they cannot wait weathers.
They do it when it is a time, and it succeeds.

I have looked the hives next day fter trickling. They have small droplets in wings. They have not eaten the syrup. It moves there from bee to bee when they move in cluster, and they rup the syrup to itselves.

Don't think it too much. Do it.

We here make in light frost and in Turkey they do it in 15 C temp.
. It works better in warm weather, like Nanetti says, but we do not have such weather here after September.

i looked my hive to day, why it is so restless. It calmed quite much when I gove water to it .
But what is happening there? I opened the hive and there was at least one frame of brood.
I added ventilation. If it stops brooding, at least I hope.

Temps are here now -4C and one micro millimeter snow.

Water shortage can be a big issue for colonies in winter. One reason for not over-doing the ventilation as the condensation inside the hive can help them.

Are you heating your Italians this winter? If so, maybe that partially explains the brood at this time. Better adapted bees will have shut down before now.

My big colonies (10 seams of bees) look like Carniolans (they came from someone who got their bees from someone who has bought Carniolan queens) whereas the more modest clusters look more like Amm.

The simple advice to anyone is to just do it. I will aim for a cold spell and when the bees are likely to be clustered for at least a few days.

I was waiting for the temp to drop to do mine, but I never got the chance - so my advice is do it now, absolutely! :)

i was just waiting for it to stop bloody raining!

i was just waiting for it to stop bloody raining!

You're not kidding. I don't think we've had a significant period without rain since the start of November. It's that bad that the chickens have built pontoons to get around their runs :(

Looks like the temperature is due to drop a fair bit towards the end of this coming week so I shall plan to treat next weekend. It's a convenient time for another fondant check anyhow.

I was astonished when it was reported on the news the other day that in some areas of the country the temperatures over the Christmas period were 20C higher than last year. There is a quote of uncertain origin that states that "England doesn't have a climate. It just has weather." These days I'm not even sure we have weather. It's altogether far more strange...

James

I'm tentatively looking at Monday, two nights of 2 degrees C forecast and 5 degrees during the day on Monday. Tuesday rain and overnight temperature back to 10 degrees.

Take your opportunity while it's available.

My bees have been out and about regularly this month too. They go to a particular bush in the apiary that has sort of cone shaped yellow plants full of pollen on it. Haven't a clue what it is, bees love it though

You do realise that OA is not weather dependant like Apiguard. It does not have to be a cold spell to apply, the main thing is you should have no brood or as little as possible. The longer you leave it, the higher the chance of you having brood being there and the treatment is then less effective.

I'm tentatively looking at Monday, two nights of 2 degrees C forecast and 5 degrees during the day on Monday. Tuesday rain and overnight temperature back to 10 degrees.

Take your opportunity while it's available.

I'm looking to do the same, as the temps should go down tonight and keep them in tomorrow, so I'll make up the solution this afternoon so it's ready to go on in the morning.

I did 3 hives two days ago - 11 oC - drizzle. Bees semi-clustered - ie broke apart as soon as crown board lifted and were able to fly. At least they will disperse oA in hive and can fly out if necessary. Smoker on hand just in case.... Checked yesterday as put in inserts to monitor drop and no mass of dead bees either on oMF or outside hive. Hopefully not too much damage with acid. I had a hive which I did not OA last winter as nil drop and by June varroa were a real problem - I'm not convinced hive drops a reliable indicator of varroa infestation in winter months and this year with the mild weather chances are brood reservoirs of varroa so spring I'll be keeping a very close eye on varroa.

Water shortage can be a big issue for colonies in winter.

Water has been mentioned at least twice in this thread.

Just think about it a little. Those of us who do not get great swathes of condensation in their hives (OMF, top insulation and no top ventiulation) get by perfectly well without it.

Why do the bees need water? As Finman states - brooding. Honey at 20% (or fondant at 11%) water is perfectly adequate for the bees living through the coldest spells when they cannot get out for either cleansing flights, or for 'collecting extra water'.

From that thinking, you can be assured that your bees do not need any extra water for thermal energy requirements. They do need it for feeding larvae (larvae are normally fed on nectar (plus other nutrients) in the summer season), however, and this may be one reason for brooding to be delayed.

I find that water is more important than feeding 1:1 syrup in the spring (last year they were taking very dilute sugar solution (almost to the point of there being no sugar at all). That is, of course, OK as long as there are adequate honey stores and pollen available.

So overall, I think any argument re bees needing condensation in the hive is flawed. Better a dry hive and a little later for start of brooding than a damp colony, IMO. I certainly don't buy it. My hives are both dry and well ventilated; and that is the way they will remain.

Just something for the new and relatively inexperienced beeks (but 'thinkers') to ponder. Those that are fixed in their ways, for whatever reasons, will not change.

RAB

Drinking water is no problem in winter. Not at least in Finland when bees cannot come out to get drinking water during 5 months. Neither they do not drink condensation water in cluster because condensation happends far from cluster and in cold hive bees cannot walk here and there.

If the colony does not get water for brood nursing, they stop it. New Year is not right time to nurse brood. Problem is somewhere else than in water.

Back