Bees eating Kingspan

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jambo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10+
Had a quick peep into my hives on Saturday to assess store levels.

A nuc I promoted a month or so back is doing well I think, bees over 8 frames. I put a big kingspan dummy board in place of a couple of frames that I didn't think they'd be able to draw out when I last inspected them a couple of weeks ago.

I was amazed on Saturday that they were busy chewing up the Kingspan!

A strange behaviour I thought. Do they see it as some kind of foreign unhygienic material that needs removed? They're surely not deriving any nutrition from it...!?

They shouldn't feel short of space as there is an undrawn frame of foundation at the door (I feel it's a bit late in the season to pop this in the middle of the nest and they were a bit grumpy on Saturday as it was).

Not tried it yet but I think the Gorilla tape will work.

PH

Does gorilla tape have string in it? If it does don't use it as the bees chew the tape and get tangled in it. Ally tape is the way to go.

honeybees are burrowing insects. They excavate the existing the tree hollow to enlarge, maintain and make secure their nest. Its an area that hasnt been researched very well. After now 6 years of developing PIR (e.g. Kingspan) hives I have observed on many occasions how honeybees tunnel into unprotected PIR. Tunneling is an important part of their behaviour as can be witnessed by the change in behaviour after chewing through the newspaper in combining colonies.

Thanks for the interesting info/tips. I'll do more harm than good if I try to sort it out just now I think, but another thing to add to the list of things I'll do better next year :)

With pretty good experience over the years of different tapes the Gorilla brand I have found to be rather good. It grips wet surfaces too BTW!

No: no string in it that I am aware of.

For interest sake who stocks the ally tape as it is not something I am aware of seeing in the DIY sheds.

PH

4806V in the paper catalogue. Typical SF but then they suffer from being part of the dreaded B&Q

Thanks though.

PH

With pretty good experience over the years of different tapes the Gorilla brand I have found to be rather good. It grips wet surfaces too BTW!

No: no string in it that I am aware of.

For interest sake who stocks the ally tape as it is not something I am aware of seeing in the DIY sheds.

PH
Jewsons
Homebase
Wickes

I get it from Tapes2Go

Does gorilla tape have string in it? If it does don't use it as the bees chew the tape and get tangled in it. Ally tape is the way to go.

I used Gorilla tape.. It's very thick and plasticky unlike duct Tape . Bees do not appear to chew it - they do chew duct tape.

I noticed that the guys securing cables to the coms and broadcast vans during the cycling event at Kelso (and thus professionals) were using Gorilla tape to secure the cables to the cobbles. I like to see those sort of tricks as those type of people use kit that works.

PH

Not tried it yet but I think the Gorilla tape will work.

PH

No it doesn't...Really bad idea ... the bees attack the tape and then get stuck in the reinforcements and die. You must use aluminium foil tape ... cheap as chips from Screwfix and Toolstation. They won't touch that and it's really useful to have a roll in your bee box as you can use it for sealing up hives, covering cracks - even putting over a hole in your jeans so the little buggers can't find a way in .. dozens of uses.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhesives+&+Sealants/d180/Tapes/sd2420/Aluminium+Foil+Tape/p97723

Attachments

• Duct tape disaster.jpg
    Duct tape disaster.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 24
No it doesn't...Really bad idea ... the bees attack the tape and then get stuck in the reinforcements and die. You must use aluminium foil tape ... cheap as chips from Screwfix and Toolstation. They won't touch that and it's really useful to have a roll in your bee box as you can use it for sealing up hives, covering cracks - even putting over a hole in your jeans so the little buggers can't find a way in .. dozens of uses.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhesives+&+Sealants/d180/Tapes/sd2420/Aluminium+Foil+Tape/p97723

It is even good for fixing punctures in the cheap blow up swimming pools..;) , the aluminum tape that is as it sticks like poop to a blanket .

It is even good for fixing punctures in the cheap blow up swimming pools..;) , the aluminum tape that is as it sticks like poop to a blanket .

Yes ... I can believe that ... it's reasonably weather proof as well if you make sure the edges are well pushed down. If you paint over it lasts almost indefinitely. Great for covering the joints on Kingspan Hive cosies which doubles up as my solar wax extractor in the summer !

Attachments

• IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for that pargyle, obviously you have tried it and I was planning on it so saved me some grief.

PH

Yes ... I can believe that ... it's reasonably weather proof as well if you make sure the edges are well pushed down. If you paint over it lasts almost indefinitely. Great for covering the joints on Kingspan Hive cosies which doubles up as my solar wax extractor in the summer !

Makes a good beer cooler and keeps chips warm as well!

Back