Beekeeping myths

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beekeeping is a gentle hobby.

Bees know best.

If it appeared that your home was on fire you would consume 3 days supply of food before leaving the house, just in case the shops are closed

So why does misting with water from a hand sprayer help to control bees? I know plenty of beekeepers that use this method and have not used a smoker in years (and may outlive those that do as possibly less cancer risk to the beekeeper! Only time will tell)

So why does misting with water from a hand sprayer help to control bees? )

I have sometimes used water, but I have measured with laser thermometer, that bees temperature drops down several degrees when the get water mist. In cool weather cannot go back into the hive.

Yeah, bees do not like rain. But does bees then suck honey to their stomack?

Probably the same reason as when you mist a swarm. Bees don’t like flying in the rain, watch the reaction of a swarm that’s sprayed. The cluster tightens and they angle facing up using wings to shed the rain/spray...clever little girls!

Probably the same reason as when you mist a swarm. Bees don’t like flying in the rain, watch the reaction of a swarm that’s sprayed. The cluster tightens and they angle facing up using wings to shed the rain/spray...clever little girls!

you mist a swarm to bring the temperature down - a rise in cluster temperature means they are getting ready to move again

you mist a swarm to bring the temperature down - a rise in cluster temperature means they are getting ready to move again

Yes, it has been researched the 15 minutes swarm's departure workers' thorax temperature starts to rise to 39C. It is fast flying temperature.

Any 'proper' beekeeper would know that this has already, categorically, been proven to be a myth, smoke, in many cases has been proven to wind up bees rather than placate them,rarely using smoke, I observed as many bees with heads in cells whether smoke is used or not (a lot of them, it now transpires are just catching a sneaky nap) having worked with African bees, where decades of well meaning teachers (usually with bits of paper proving they are 'experts') from over here have drummed in the myth that pouring gouts of smoke at bees is de rigeur, I can attest that the opposite is true - which is probably why everyone bangs on about scuttellata being such an 'agressive' bee.
Smoke is good: another 'fact' that was drummed into me during my courses (and lighting a smoker is part of the basic examination). In practice, I've found that sometimes (not always)the smoker has good effectiveness at driving bees down into the hive after it has gone out. Has anyone any knowledge of a purpose made dry blower?
A common practice in South America with Africanised bees is to calm them by creating a complete area of smoke around the apiary, waiting for it to clear and then using smokers as normal. They swear that this makes the bees less dangerous. A myth is an oft-repeated statement which may, or may not, be true. This makes one suspect that a long time ago some people found smoking to help in work with bees (smoking a sting does help disguise the scent). They passed on the idea. It may be that smoking is helpful for some in some places and at some times, but a controlled experiment I haven't found. Forest fires are classical, 'think of an explanation; OK, sounds good; repeat as fact. Common.

Sure did I say any different...but gently mist a cluster and within a split second that cluster tightens, well before any decline in temp.

Sure did I say any different...but gently mist a cluster and within a split second that cluster tightens, well before any decline in temp.

Surely it has two functions, feeling of rain and temp dropping.

It is same to me, what it is if it works.

Same with smoke. I use it and it is very handy in many way. I do not mind to invent reasons why it works. Forest fire suits for me.

That I know however that guys hive too much to bees bad tasting smoke... Fress grass and cones!
Like that guy in video. Bees have straight acces to balls, when he does not use proper beekeeping clothes.

Surely it has two functions, feeling of rain and temp dropping.

It is same to me, what it is if it works.

Same with smoke. I use it and it is very handy in many way. I do not mind to invent reasons why it works. Forest fire suits for me

Yes agreed.....does that mean on Fridays I should not get the dress out

Smoke does seem to drive the bees down into the frames and it is pretty much an instant effect. I'm amazed at how quickly the bees sense the smoke. It is like when you breathe on bees their reaction is instantaneous. Water misted on the entrance also seems to almost instantly send the bees inside. As Ian has noticed, within a split second a clustered swarm will tighten with gently misted water.

I agree with masterBK that smoke might be over used and it does contain some pretty nasty chemicals.

Another beekeeping myth:

"The prime swarm contains an old queen"

Last edited:
Another beekeeping myth:

Forum members are helpful and support one another, and never hijack and spoil the sensible discussion in a thread with mine's bigger than yours argument and abuse.

Another beekeeping myth:

"The prime swarm contains an old queen"

It is a fact, if the old queen is able to fly.
If the wing is cutted, swarm leaves with new queen when it emerges about a week later.

Last edited:
I agree with masterBK that smoke might be over used and it does contain some pretty nasty chemicals"

Smoke is gasified tar. it condensates onto cool surfaces, like onto honey or onto clothes.

Last edited:
Hi Finnman

In some circumstances the old mated queen cannot necessarily fly from the hive as she has died (perhaps from natural causes or by deliberate/ accidental actions of the beekeeper), or is no longer in the hive the swarm issues from as she is in another split. The colony has perhaps swarmed on emergency queen cells and thus the prime swarm has a virgin queen/s. The cast swarm, if there is one, will also swarm with a virgin queen/s.

Latest posts

Back