Beekeeping myths

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another bit of received 'wisdom' which is 'sometimes' true, but in general, is a myth - others will state that it's the workers that thin the walls of the QC for the first virgin to to able to sting through it. In the end, it's the workers that control what happens when queens emerge. In the case of supersedure there are very few queens to deal with anyway and it's just as likely that the workers will deal with the 'spares' I went to a talk years ago (can't for the life of me remember now who gave it, but it was a credible presenter) and there's evidence that the workers stage any queen 'fights' and nobble the one they don't fancy.

Last edited:
how to create a bee keeping myth.

Take something that has been observed at least once and is plausible. Add misinterpretation of a correlation. Sprinkle with misapplication and anthropomorphism and fancy greek derived terms. Infuse a touch of biological exceptionalism,. Wrap in the ambiguities of the English language and common misapprehension.

Then chant the myth for couple of decades or more.

Another one for this evening:

Defensive/aggressive bees collect more honey.

James
I’m sure that is a myth but maybe they just defend what they have better? 😁

I’m sure that is a myth but maybe they just defend what they have better? 😁

There could be something in that :)

I was reminded of a couple more myths this week, but I can't bring them to mind at the moment. Well, one I'm sure is a myth; the other I think is a myth but I'm not certain. Just need to remember what they were now :D

James

But don't we just end up creating myths about myths?
I know this isn't supposed to be a discussion thread! :D
But the smoking myth, come on!
Isn't it just horses for course?
Yep, that bees gorge as a precursor to forest fire has been substantial disproven in the Australian fires, not too recently (although, I suppose, you could argue that the natural response might have been bred out of them?).
But we've all had hive that we could visit in our underpants, compared to those that we wouldn't go near without a hefty dosing of smoke, haven't we?
And that there are comparatively more bees with their heads in cells in a smoked hive compared to a non smoked hive?
But then again, this is totally anecdotal, from my own experience, and might well be totally contradictory to what others experience! :D
I'll move on at this point, as this is a totally subjective thread! :D

But don't we just end up creating myths about myths?
I know this isn't supposed to be a discussion thread! :D
But the smoking myth, come on!
Isn't it just horses for course?
Yep, that bees gorge as a precursor to forest fire has been substantial disproven in the Australian fires, not too recently (although, I suppose, you could argue that the natural response might have been bred out of them?).
But we've all had hive that we could visit in our underpants, compared to those that we wouldn't go near without a hefty dosing of smoke, haven't we?
And that there are comparatively more bees with their heads in cells in a smoked hive compared to a non smoked hive?
But then again, this is totally anecdotal, from my own experience, and might well be totally contradictory to what others experience! :D
I'll move on at this point, as this is a totally subjective thread! :D
I think it's quite good to thrash out what is and isn't a myth.

If someone posts something stating it is a myth and it isn't a myth (for whatever reason), saying so is good and should prompt discussion.

I haven't personally noticed more bees with heads in cells when smoked compared to not smoked, but then the smoke tends to push them down into the hive or cause some to take to the air (so away from the honey stores) and probably to go back in perhaps through the bottom entrance?

we've all had hive that we could visit in our underpants, compared to those that we wouldn't go near without a hefty dosing of smoke, haven't we?
no - pumping gouts of smoke in usually only makes them worse

But we've all had hive that we could visit in our underpants

This reminds me that apparently (I've not had a chance to watch it yet) Randy Oliver said in his SBKA lecture last week that his normal beekeeping clothing consists of shorts and flip-flops, but as he's got older he's had to start dressing up a bit more and now also wears a hat :D

James

Latest posts

Back