Beekeeping encyclopedia

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My offer to loan out the Encyclopedia of Beekeeping is open to any member.

All you have to do is pay postage both ways.

Regards;

Bcrazy, generous offer, thanks.
What's your assessment of the book compared to others you've read? My beek library is 'compact a bijou' - is it worth the money for a purchase at say £70 s/h?

Last edited:
Hi Rosti,

Crickey mate you do ask the most searching questions regarding the Encyclopedia of Beekeeping.

My summary of the book is as follows;

Both authors are recognised as experts in this field.
There are many aspects of the book which are pre 1950 so some of the methods and equipment that is shown is now out of date.
The biology of the honey bee in this book is good and the descriptions that it gives are easy to read and understand.

I would recommend this book to any beekeeper, beginner or experienced.

As for the cost of it now being £70 then in my opinion a beekeeper of a few years standing could well spend their money on other publications.
I know I have said I would recommend it to experience beekeepers but at £70 its a lot of money.

If your into the 'Old beekeeping books' then this is a must have.

Unfortunately I do not refer to this book for information as I have much later publications written by authors of this day and age.

If anyone is flush for money there is one book I would recommend and that is;The Hive and the Honey Bee published by Dadent. (This is an American pub. but the information about all aspects of beekeeping is covered in detail).

Regards;:confused:

Thanks, point taken about the relevence to current methods but given I still refer to Hooper before most new things it would be interesting to compare the two - but as you say £70 is rather a hit for some winter reading.

I will look out for The Hive and the Honey Bee though (wasn't on my radar). Cheers. R

Well, very pleased, thought I'd google. Tx for the direction Bcrazy; have got a copy of Hive & Honey Bee - £16 (for a claimed perfect copy) and wld you believe £2.70 shipping - and thats from the states. Sourced through Alibris. Just need some winter evenings and a decent malt now.

Last edited:
Roots have also re-written the ABC and XYZ of beekeeping which is a good read.

If you are into horror movies then Honebee Diseases by Morse and Flottum might be your thing!

Latest posts

Back