Beekeeping compact SUV

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
We are planning on buying a 2nd hand SUV with petrol engine and automatic trans as both of us have left knees that are giving off warning signs.

If you have practical experience of a model and would buy it again please let us know and if you have the other type of experience then again save us some pain please?

Ideally a vehicle that can cope with four National hives is what we are looking for.

PH

A lot of the farmers where i frequent in north Yorkshire have started using the Isuzu 4x4 pick ups, i have used one several times and they are a good solid vehicle, you would have to research the back space dimensions as i am not sure of the exact measurements.

They are diesel fuelled and are very thirsty. Great for towing but probably overkill for four beehives.

By compact I assume you mean a more car like SUV than a pickup/work truck?

The Qashqai is very good if you want to use it as a normal four seater, although finding a 2nd had 4x4 model may take some searching.

The Skoda Yeti is worth a look at well, and the read seats are removable IIRC.

You'll get four hives in all of those.

I think if I were going to buy a bee truck I'd get a van rather than a pick up because side doors make it much easier to get to stuff at the back.

Agree about a van, I have a Freelander and yes 4 hives will fit, if you drop the seats. 500mm polys are a pita to load, space is limited by the rear wheel arches. A van with side and rear doors is so much easier. Most of the pick ups will take 4 hives, added bonus of bees not inside with you.

Agree about a van, I have a Freelander and yes 4 hives will fit, if you drop the seats. 500mm polys are a pita to load, space is limited by the rear wheel arches. A van with side and rear doors is so much easier. Most of the pick ups will take 4 hives, added bonus of bees not inside with you.

I've done the pickup thing and I found that with a roof on they were a pain to reach the back. A side door van was much more elegant.

kangoo 4x4 ... its a van with seats and windows...
good load carrying capacity... its taken a Elliott shaping machine and 48" guillotine ,
4 hives easy.

petrol suv.. hmmm
will it be used off road ?
will you be converting it to lpg ?

What we will buy will be a "crossover" as they call them now. Vans and pickups are not in the running at all.

Been pondering the 4x4 aspect and although I can think of a couple of sites where that would have been useful it is actually easier to rule sites out than pay for the ability to access.

Must haves are automatic and petrol and some power. Test drove a Vauxhall yesterday, put the foot down and waited... and waited.. eventually began to pull away but dear me for overtaking it would be dreadful so that is out the equation.

Going to organise a Yeti test drive today as we like Skodas. Currently running a Roomster.

PH

What we will buy will be a "crossover" as they call them now. Vans and pickups are not in the running at all.

Been pondering the 4x4 aspect and although I can think of a couple of sites where that would have been useful it is actually easier to rule sites out than pay for the ability to access.

Must haves are automatic and petrol and some power. Test drove a Vauxhall yesterday, put the foot down and waited... and waited.. eventually began to pull away but dear me for overtaking it would be dreadful so that is out the equation.

Going to organise a Yeti test drive today as we like Skodas. Currently running a Roomster.

PH
Them Yeti are good motors and certainly not short of power.

Just back from a test drive and yes they are not short of power. Just a case of finding a nearly new one with the right trim as the dogs claws will kill leather and we both find it sweaty.

PH

If you buy a diesel with common rail fuel injection and a turbo it will knock spots of a petrol and more MPG however modern diesels have such things as DPf's which can be troublesome and expensive
If you are going second hand don't but a japanese one over 10 years old as you will find corrosion issues but the running gear usually out lasts the vehicle.
Dacia Duster looks a good bet and cheaper than some 2nd hand rubbish on the market, you will have to measure the back though for 4 hives

LWB vitara

With big off road boots and the exceptionally powerful petrol engine I use my 4x4 Suzuki Vitara for pulling Defenders out of mudholes!

25mpg is a bit of a downer... but it has loads of space and will go where others ( should) fear to tread!

Compared to a similar age Defender £12K .... £3k should get you a minter with all the bells and whistles ... even a turbo diesel with servo assisted brake lights!!
not worthy
Yeghes da

RENAULTKangoo4x4-1945_6.jpg

a kangoo 4x4 it also comes with FWD

What about a mitsubishi PHEV?

4x4

Loads of space

Automatic

Petrol

Cheap because of the mitsubishi scandals.

Plenty second hand available in various specs.

30 mile electric range

400 mile petrol range

I drove one and really liked it

Last edited:
I was wondering how much it would cost to import a vehicle from Lesotho - they had some very handy looking 4x4 hearses out there (due to the outlying villages and poor roads). Ideal really, plenty of room in the back and rollers in the floor to make sliding the hives in and out a doddle :D

Latest posts

Back