Beekeeping by the moon?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luminos

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Less than 100. Er, 6, actually...
There's an article in my gardening magazine on gardening by the moon, and it has a reference to beekeeperes, translating as:

"For beekeepers, it's time to work the bees under the fire constellations (these favour fruits and seeds), to favour the production of honey".

Anybody beekeep according to the moons phases?
:nature-smiley-011:

How would the phase of the moon affect the flavour of honey?

Just cause there's a bit more shadow on the moon, things taste different? Sounds suspiciously like bunkum to me.

The Method of working by the moons cycle is very similar to biodynamic farming. you plant etc depending on the phase of the moon, there are some farms in sussex that run by this method.

Plawhatch communtity farm is one and they are involved with the natural beekeeping trust who use their land to hold courses.

the below is a quote from Plawhatch farms website that explains what biodynamic is:-

The Demeter symbol on all our produce shows that we are a certified Biodynamic Farm. This means that we endeavour to run as a self-contained farm, in harmony with the world around us. We take advantage of the planetary rhythms for the planting and harvesting of all crops to enhance their vitality. Compost, biodynamic preparations and the use of green manures ensure that fertility of the land is maintained. This is nothing new! It is how people used to farm.

The system was started by Rudolf Steiner in the late 1800s.

if you want more info about them have a quick look here:-

http://www.naturalbeekeepingtrust.org/bee-sanctuary/plaw-hatch-farm/

I am not commenting on this style of beekeeping, i dont follow it, i just know of it from looking around when i first started beekeeping. I also know the farm as i used to sell their products. I can really recommend their cheddar, wonderful strong flavour.

Read as far as 'linking farming to the zodiac' and switched off.

Astrology? In this day and age? Prefer not to take advice from 'mystic meg'!

Read as far as 'linking farming to the zodiac' and switched off.

Astrology? In this day and age? Prefer not to take advice from 'mystic meg'!

i think it relates to astronomy rather than astrology, mainly the position of the moon and its gravitational pull as was mentioned with the biodynamic farming

The Italian countryfolk are very big on lunar planting and harvesting.

seems to work for them, if only that their dependence upon a fortnight that's good for sowing means that they are likely to delay planting for at least two weeks if weather unfavourable rather than rigidly sticking to "i always plant my beans on 1st march", and being entirely dependent upon weather.

The Italian countryfolk are very big on lunar planting and harvesting.

seems to work for them, if only that their dependence upon a fortnight that's good for sowing means that they are likely to delay planting for at least two weeks if weather unfavourable rather than rigidly sticking to "i always plant my beans on 1st march", and being entirely dependent upon weather.

That makes sense, planting in favourable weather etc.

Still don't see how a phase of the moon would affect though. It's only a shadow on the moon... Not any physical affect.

How would the phase of the moon affect the flavour of honey?

Just cause there's a bit more shadow on the moon, things taste different? Sounds suspiciously like bunkum to me.

It says it favours the production of honey - nothing about the flavour

Here in France lunar planting is still followed. When I was talking to a neighbour the other day and said I was about to plant my onions (I kid you not), he grabbed my arm and said ' non, non', then explained that I can't plant them for 15 days - plant in the waxing not in the waning of the moon, otherwise the onions will be all leaves and stem! He was quite agitated and both he and another neighbour tried to make sure I followed their lunar planting calendar thoughts to ensure my veg was grown correctly.

That makes sense, planting in favourable weather etc.

Still don't see how a phase of the moon would affect though. It's only a shadow on the moon... Not any physical affect.

the moon does have an affect on the earth, its what causes the tides, and depending on the state of the moon depends on the height of the tide. this is caused by its gravitational pull on us.

Fully expained here:-

http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Tide (remove space before org)

the moon does have an affect on the earth, its what causes the tides, and depending on the state of the moon depends on the height of the tide. this is caused by its gravitational pull on us.

I have read that it also affects the turgidity of the soil?

well it wouldnt surprise me. i know the water table here gets much higher when its a spring tide, to the point it can rise up through the roads if we have also had heavy rain in the previous few days.

I've seen it affect humans as well, not surprising really given our percentage of water. When I worked in a secure unit for young offenders, you could be sure of a difficult night during a full moon - I kid you not!

Nick

Everyone that's been through school should know that the moon effects tides, but to correct you the phase of the moon doesn't affect the tides.

What I was trying to explain was the phases of the moon don't affect plants.

Last edited:
I've seen it affect humans as well, not surprising really given our percentage of water. When I worked in a secure unit for young offenders, you could be sure of a difficult night during a full moon - I kid you not!

Nick

Sorry Nick, that's a myth that's been thoroughly debunked.

The moon doesn't have a mystical effect on water, other than the gravitation pull on the earth that influences tides.

http://scienceline.org/2008/03/ask-grant-fullmoon/

Last edited:
I am a believer that the moon has an effect on our behaviour although I doubt that it is due to our water content. It's probably hormonal and a result of thousands of years of taking advantage of the full moon to hunt by. It may be no coincidence that the humanfemale cycle is also close to a lunar month. I have read that in hunter gatherer communities (where there is a lack of artificial light) females synchronize their cycles to the full moon. I don'treally know how that is relevant to the bees but I thought it was interesting.

I am a believer that the moon has an effect on our behaviour although I doubt that it is due to our water content. It's probably hormonal and a result of thousands of years of taking advantage of the full moon to hunt by. It may be no coincidence that the humanfemale cycle is also close to a lunar month. I have read that in hunter gatherer communities (where there is a lack of artificial light) females synchronize their cycles to the full moon. I don'treally know how that is relevant to the bees but I thought it was interesting.

That would mean all female cycles would be the same, they aren't.

Anyway, before I get too carried away, (I am too passionate about the evils of pseudoscience) everyone believes what they will, I am under no illusion anything I say will change your mind.

Steiner is as much of a quack as Hahnemann.

Believe what you like but acknowledge its a faith based spiritual belief (no judgement), but don't label it as proven science.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back