Beekeeping by the moon?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AND evil of all evils, bee and hive treatments aren't permitted under Demiter standards...

Chris

That's just humans, though.
What about other mammals - dogs for example, twice a year; horses, more to do with day length than the moon etc

AND evil of all evils, bee and hive treatments aren't permitted under Demiter standards...

Chris

Hmm, including such 'evils' as:

Queen excluders
Dummy boards
Clipped wings
Multiple brood boxes
Foundation
Planned queen raising
Queen replacement/introduction
Uniting colonies
Plastic honey buckets
Poly hives or poly insulation
Washing soda washes for hygiene
Liquefying set honey

But you can sprinkle in as much herbal tea, sugar, salt, and organic acids as you like, and perform shook swarms and brood removal... funnily enough I thought these were considered treatments... :)

I do however make it a rule to move colonies under a full moon. It saves the batteries in my torch ;)

Met in with biodynamics many years ago and TBH I cannot debunk it.

Also knew a physiatric staff nurse in a secure mental hospital pre the care in community nonsense and he assured me from personal experience that around the full moon a lot more sedatives were prescribed. Lunatic indeed.

PH

I remember hearing an interview with a learned chap who claimed the only time to plant garlic was at the summer and winter solstices. Interesting talk though I have no idea if its factual or not

http://www.skepdic.com/fullmoon.html

Interesting paragraph on why the full moon myth is perpetuated...

If so many studies have failed to prove a significant correlation between the full moon and anything, why do so many people believe in these lunar myths? Kelly, Rotton, and Culver suspect four factors: media effects, folklore and tradition, misconceptions, and cognitive biases. A fifth factor should be considered, as well: communal reinforcement.

The only thing I can say about the moon and the influence it has on our planet is that our tides are controlled by it, two a day, high and low depending on the state of the cycle, this is caused by the magnetic force of the moon whether that has a force on plants & animals I don,t know, however before modern time pieces where invented the sun and mood where used to calculate days, weeks, months and years, summer and winter, so I suppose that planting to the lunar phase was important to them many moons ago !

Anyway, before I get too carried away, (I am too passionate about the evils of pseudoscience) everyone believes what they will, I am under no illusion anything I say will change your mind.

Steiner is as much of a quack as Hahnemann.

Believe what you like but acknowledge its a faith based spiritual belief (no judgement), but don't label it as proven science.

So are u saying all alternative therapies are pseudoscience? do you also believe that all religion is false to, as it cannot be proven?

it would be a very sad world if we all believed the same things.

I nurse bees according the sun.

not worthy

The only thing I can say about the moon and the influence it has on our planet is that our tides are controlled by it, two a day, high and low depending on the state of the cycle, this is caused by the magnetic force of the moon whether that has a force on plants & animals I don,t know, however before modern time pieces where invented the sun and mood where used to calculate days, weeks, months and years, summer and winter, so I suppose that planting to the lunar phase was important to them many moons ago !

Bang on.

So are u saying all alternative therapies are pseudoscience? do you also believe that all religion is false to, as it cannot be proven?

it would be a very sad world if we all believed the same things.

I didn't say that. I didn't mention religion, or what is and isn't pseudoscience.
I did say that Steiner and Hahnemann were quacks.

Last edited:
That makes sense, planting in favourable weather etc.

Still don't see how a phase of the moon would affect though. It's only a shadow on the moon... Not any physical affect.

The Moon has an enormous effect on tides as DPearce says.

She pulls many millions of toms of water into a 'pile' as her orbit closes on earth.

Also the mention of farming is correct and excellent results obtainable.

Lots to read if you like that sort of thing.

BTW, when the moon waxes - keep away from women - they are affected too!! :)

Finman:
"I nirse bees according the sun"

Explain please...

Last edited:
The Moon has an enormous effect on tides as DPearce says.

She pulls many millions of toms of water into a 'pile' as her orbit closes on earth.

Also the mention of farming is correct and excellent results obtainable.

Lots to read if you like that sort of thing.

BTW, when the moon waxes - keep away from women - they are affected too!! :)

If you read the rest of the thread you'd have spotted my correction.

I was specifically talking about the moons effects on plants not tides.

You mean that swarming isn't caused by the moons gravity acting on the hives quantum energy & pulling the queen down lay lines! :eek:

Seriously there is no relationship between lunar phases and people going mad or having fits etc. etc. as has been proved time & time again with good studies

Swarming occurs when the moon is on the same axis as a ley line;)

Our summer is so short and intensive that no chance to follow moon calendar.
Different hives build up different way, not according the moon.
Hive build up and honey flow follow vegetation and weathers.

Moon and sun are every day on sky. it depends what cyclones British isles sends again towards scandinavia and what makes the high pressure of Putin Land.

No moon is needed.

our sea has no tide. It is too closed to move the water masses. High and low pressures push the water level = the weight of air statue over the sea.
Variation of the sea level is + / - 1m

Ha got it so move your beehive away from the ley line and they will never swarm

Latest posts

Back