Beehaus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would anyone recommend a beehaus from Omlet as a starter hive for a new beekeeper?

I think you should ask yourself why do I want to start beekeeping if it is part of the environment and nature then it has to be a cedar or timber hive.

The tree cut down to produce the timber for the hive can be replaced with 3 new trees and one of them will reach maturity to start the process off again and the hive may still be in good service

The three trees planted to replace the original tree will remove more carbon dioxide from the environment than the one big mature tree

The hive can be easily repaired or extra items made for it with simple diy skills and if it reaches its working life it can be allowed to compost down into the ground again providing habitat for other insects, or if you prefer can provide an evenings warmth releasing sum of the carbon the tree absorbed in the first place

With beekeeping bees once they have decided to stay will make do with whatever they have got to work with but it is important to try and keep it as natural as possible so thats why it has to be timber for me

Obviously I am not a total fan but its your choice

If you have 2 colonies in a beehaus - which is entirely reasonable, what do you do when you want to make up a nuc for swarm control? I guess you have to make a wooden box?

Is a beehaus a bit tricky when you do an A/S too and need to move one hive from one side of the original colony to the other?

I think the flexibility (and carryability*) of two hives compared to one big one is better IMO. Although I will admit that I haven't uses a beehaus.

* I think this is a made up word!

If going down the "environmental" route do make sure you don't use imported cedar as that came on an oil burning ship. And of course your protective clothing must be fair trade cotton and make sure the hives are within walking or bicycling distance of your home because you wouldn't want to harm the environment using your car to visit them This is the car you will want to get rid of anyway as it will have lots of plastic in it.

By all means choose a wooden hive but unless you eliminate or radically reduce your environmental pollution in other areas of your life it's just a gesture, nothing more. Our re-cycling bin which the Council gave us is made of plastic, as is the TV, the laptop I am using at the moment, even the dog's collar is made of something like polypropylene.

Yes RoofTops it will be a small gesture but like all things a lot of small gestures add up and can be quite important in the end.

My wife has glaucoma and needs good light to see print etc.
I replaced all our bulbs with the energy saving type.

After about a month of having them she could not stand them any longer and replaced the lot and binned the energy savers while I was out one afternoon.

They claim to be just like the old style bulbs but she assures me they are not.

binned the energy savers .

So now she has just added more mercury to the atmosphere.

In another strange twist of green-ness, coal power stations emit more radiation than a nuclear power station in normal operation.

But I deviate, back to topic!

Last edited:
In another strange twist of green-ness, coal power stations emit more radiation than a nuclear power station in normal operation.

I did 12 months research on this very topic for the nhs in 1986.
I was looking at the rate of childhood leukemia around coal/oil fired power stations V Nuclear stations.

There was one area that was very high but a good distance from the plant,It was then noticed that most days the town was downwind from the chimney's.

I think you have already posted my conclusion Jim..
Sorry for staying off topic everyone.

So now she has just added more mercury to the atmosphere.

!

Worries me, disposal of energy efficient light bulbs..they all go straight into the dustbin, who remembers the wheelie bin with and X on the packaging as it is years before its thrown away

The local council re cycle almost everything except light bulbs and batteries and i live near the North London Waste Incinerator in edmonton London, so all that mercury goes into the air that i breave

always wondered why i am mad as a hatter , now i know :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Last edited:
No, but he doesn't drip on his slippers on hot days either. :)

Sorry MM nothing personal, but couldn't miss the opportunity offered.

Is a Beehaus made of recyclable plastic?

I did 12 months research on this very topic for the nhs in 1986.
I was looking at the rate of childhood leukemia around coal/oil fired power stations V Nuclear stations.

There was one area that was very high but a good distance from the plant,It was then noticed that most days the town was downwind from the chimney's.

I think you have already posted my conclusion Jim..
Sorry for staying off topic everyone.
Selafield in Cumbria denied the clusters of child leukaemia in the area were anything to do with them! . It later transpired that pigeons were roosting in hot spots and subsequently visiting villages in the area to obtain food and leaving radio active faeces behind, mhhh?.

John Wilkinson

Is a Beehaus made of recyclable plastic?

Nope, this was simply down to the colours they wanted to sell them in, if it was to be recycled then it would have been black (I asked them a while ago).

But it can be recycled mind.

JD

Good,that makes perfect sense,they are made from none recyclable ,recyclable plastic.

Is it true that the yellow Eglu/Cube attracted flies and stopped selling so well,so they had plenty of yellow pellets around to prototype the Beehaus?

Like energy saving light bulbs they are Soooooooooooo Green! (Not):svengo:

I completely agree the low energy light bulbs have being pushed and sold as a way to reduce your electric bills no one mentions the environmental impact once thrown away

Latest posts

Back