Beehaus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yet another of those urban myths created, and spread by the "denialists" industry (heavily funded by the likes of Exxon and the Nuclear lobby...........

"Energy saving bulbs contain only tiny traces of mercury - imagine a pellet smaller than the tip of a biro. What's more, in the long term, CFL technology will actually help less mercury to pollute the air.

This is because burning fossil fuels like coal is the biggest source of mercury in the air. And as energy saving bulbs use 80% less electricity than a traditional bulb, they mean far less mercury overall"

from http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Home-improvements-and-products/Lighting/Frequently-asked-questions

As for plastics in the environment, they are often genuinely dreadfully dangerous, containing as many do "pseudooestrogens" which can feminise any animal in contact with them (something like "the pill" residues) as well as the physical problems of them not easily breaking down and remaining as toxic waste in landfills for millenia (which is yet another reason why garish superannuated beer coolers as hives are a daft idea.........)

This is because burning fossil fuels like coal is the biggest source of mercury in the air. And as energy saving bulbs use 80% less electricity than a traditional bulb, they mean far less mercury overall"

)

Like I said, Coal power stations release more radiation than a nuclear power station.

So why all the tree huggers against nuclear?

We (The UK) are 10+ year behind in our power requirements.

But then again, a resource is a resource that sometimes has to be used to allow progression (a few windmills will not allow this!)

So as a country we sit back and forget about all the coal under our feet.

It's an incredibly complex subject, but in brief - nuclear will be too little, too late, and FAR too expensive (nuclear has never been affordable, and is now only being considered because of the strength of the lobby groups)
I simple terms what we need to do is "start at the other end" and minimise our consumption, THEN look to generate our much-reduced needs by using genuine renewables - and yes, that does include properly-sited "wind" (NOT roof-mounted chocolate teapots which don't work)........
Then we need to redefine that awful word "progress" - to me, it should be meaning an awakening as to the damage we're doing to our home (the planet) and moving towards cutting population growth and being awarethat we are stripping all our resources from the earth, mostly to make "toys" that'll end up in landfill.........:svengo:
"Progress" so far unfortunately has meant that in a very few hundred years we've used most of the world's resources and grossly polluted the environment -we have to find sustainable solutions, and fast, or "we're toast" as a species.
And last but not least, you don't have to be a muesli-knitting leftie bedwetter to notice the writing on the wall.............:)

I simple terms what we need to do is "start at the other end" and minimise our consumption,

we are stripping all our resources from the earth, mostly to make "toys" that'll end up in landfill.........:svengo:
)

Yes I see! It is very easy to get caught up in the more more more POWER!

Quick lets pull in the draw- bridge, blow up the chanell tunnel and cut the benfits... A recuring theme is now linked!

Then the Uk and run on 2 or 3 wind mills.

It's an incredibly complex subject,

In simple terms what we need to do is "start at the other end" and minimise our consumption, THEN look to generate our much-reduced needs by using genuine renewables - and yes, that does include properly-sited "wind" (NOT roof-mounted chocolate teapots which don't work)........

The really annoying thing as far as I'm concerned (- and I don't claim to even begin to understand the complexities,) as I drive around doing my job I get to see lots of lobby groups signs up, dotted around villages all over the place.....

NO BLOGSTOWN WINDFARM HERE

How nice for them to live in a pretty village and never need to use electricity, so have a good sound moral stand for refusing to have a power plant near to them.

I remember as a child my dad saying the government had sold the need for the Trent lined power stations by saying "They will blend in with the countryside" And it's true they do, usless you're very close to one, from a distance they look.....well a normal British view. Windfarms are far more aesthetically pleasing and many of their forerunners are now historical listed buildings.

Frisbee

If it wasn't for the fact that the beehaus is bloody ugly I think i'd opt for one. Excellent insulation and well protected from rodents, woodpeckers etc. Unfortunately it looks like some sort of bbq/compost metal bin:ack2:

Sorry I meant to put this picture on my last post, but it wouldn't upload the first time and I clicked submit accidentally :rolleyes:

the scrubbers which remove the So2 from the smoke are the the biggist source of gypsum in the UK, without the gypsum produced by them plasterboard would double in price and gypsum would need to be mined in a National park

not avacoting more coal use but just that what ever you do has un expected effects

And following on from above, the fly ash and bottom ash form the burners are sold on for building products and create a whole industry of their own.

I know all about this, was swotting up for an interview at the power station last week....fingers crossed I get it.

Back