Bee suits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindylou

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I have just started a beekeeping course and have been looking at
bee suits. I think I know where I am going to buy from, but am confused
as to which sort of veil to use. What is the difference between a
fencing veil and the all round type of veil? Am just not sure which is the best and why.

Thanks

Linn

Hi, Lindylou,
As I understand it, the hat-and-veil types keep the bees away from your face better than the fencing-mask types, which you are advised to wear a baseball cap or similar beneath.
As I only have the hat-and-veil type, I can't comment on the other type, but I'm sure someone else who has, will :)

Fencing veil style with baseball cap is fine too, and the cap can stop you getting hair in your face and eyes. Also means any bees thinking they can have a go at your head will have a second layer to sting through.

personal preference

i used to use a fencing (sheriff), but now I have an all round veil.

The deciding factor for me was the latest suit I purchased has a removable veil allowing the main body to be washed on a regular basis.

My old sheriff suit did not have a removable veil and after after a few washes (maybe one that was too hot?), the mesh on the veil breaks as it had become brittle.

I started with an all round veil and changed to a fencing type veil which is what I prefer. The all round veil just seemed to get in the way. I do not wear a baseball cap underneath, but I don't have long hair either.
See if you can try some on before purchase and see which you prefer, having a veil that can be removed from the suit/smock is an advantage.

I started with an all round veil and changed to a fencing type veil which is what I prefer. The all round veil just seemed to get in the way. I do not wear a baseball cap underneath, but I don't have long hair either.

Which just goes to show... I'm the opposite, moved from fencing style which I needed a cap for to stop the veil sticking to my face, to the all round which I find great. Has been mentioned on here though that they can be problematic in high winds, but I've not yet experienced that.

I personally prefer the fencing veil. I find the round hat design slips off my head, needs to be rearranged etc every time I move my head, whereas the fencing type stands alone and your head moves freely within. Personal choice really though.

... What is the difference between a
fencing veil and the all round type of veil? Am just not sure which is the best and why.

I have a round hat style.
I like the sun-shade aspect - both cooler and better with specs in the sun.
But its more critical on the fit. If its too tight (neck to crotch, back length), the hat moves up as you bend over! And if its at all loose, the hat tipping forward over your eyes isn't good when you have your hands full of bees ... So, I'm going to be asking someone to add (sewing isn't one of my skills) some sort of chinstrap or back-of-head-strap (like many hardhats) to make sure that does not happen ever again. And, not that one would want to be bothering the bees on a windy day, but wind can also upset the hat.
You don't get the shade benefits or the moving-about problems with a fencing-style veil.

I found the fencing veil that I borrowed to be hotter, and I disliked the loss of peripheral vision it gave - both especially when bent over a hive.

I'm happy with the hat, but will be adding some sort of strap.

I like the sun-shade aspect

On that note... I found that very effect a pain- when trying to get a bit of light over my shoulder into light brood comb to see eggs I couldn't see a thing. So changed :)

Lindylou,

First, buy from the better quality suppliers - you will not regret the extra cost.

I have both. Started with the hat and veil and always choose those unless the fencing type is the only option! Two of my jackets were cheapo's and they are inferior - I know. The fencing type is also one of those two.

The hat and veil need an extra bit of velcro (or a couple of safety pins?) to prevent displacement in windy weather (just to keep it away from the face).

It really comes down to personal preference so try before buying - ask on the course, they likely have some different styles for the new starters if they do practical sessions.

RAB

If you have a beekeeping suppliers / local BKA / beekeeper living near you, maybe you could go along and ask to try on both types of suit.
Which one is best for you will probably just come to personal preference - i.e which one feels the most comfortable / easy to work in.

Thanks everyone for your help.
RAB am thinking of buying from BB as people on here seem to recommend them.

I found the cost of a new all-in-one suit quite expensive when starting out so bought the Th**nes BOAB Option 2 which came with a veil and jacket and then bought a "Dickies" boilersuit for £22. All I had to do was sow up the two side pockets and done deal. Good quality suit as well.

We do windy days here, we do inspections on wet days, we do fencer type microfibre suits. Not too hot, not at all cumbersome, no need for baseball caps, no trouble seeing eggs, no sunburn (yes we do sun too).

Best bit with these is the aircon effect of wearing them out of the washing machine on a baking hot day :D

Latest posts

Back