Sherriff veil

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildflower 123

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi . I got a bbwear beesuit as a beginner, the suit is great but I am thinking of changing the veil to a Sherriff one. People have mentioned that vision is much clearer in them, and as I am finding it impossible to see eggs in the bbwear veil I thought it would be a good idea. Does anyone know if the sheriff veil would fit onto my existing bbwear suit. Or do I need to buy a whole new outfit?

Hi . I got a bbwear beesuit as a beginner, the suit is great but I am thinking of changing the veil to a Sherriff one. People have mentioned that vision is much clearer in them, and as I am finding it impossible to see eggs in the bbwear veil I thought it would be a good idea. Does anyone know if the sheriff veil would fit onto my existing bbwear suit. Or do I need to buy a whole new outfit?
I don't know but I would doubt it. That is one place you want a perfect fit!

I doubt they use the same zippers, make and exact lenth would have to be comparable. Both are good quality manufacturers so I’d doubt there’s much difference in vision through mesh.

I got a bbwear beesuit as a beginner, the suit is great but I am thinking of changing the veil to a Sherriff one
The zips on BBWear & Sheriff are identical YKK, and five minutes ago I attached (without problem) a ten year-old BBWear fencing hood to a new Sheriff suit.

The BBWear hood is outstanding in one aspect: the hood does not concertina towards the face. This is true from new and remains so even though I wash suits three times a week (with hoods attached) and have done so for years.

In contrast, the hood on my Sheriff collapses (and did so from new) and I find it irritating as it results in a reduction of light through the mesh. Saw a brand new Sheriff in action the other day and it had the same collapse to the veil wires.

People have mentioned that vision is much clearer in them
Beware of judging quality through the eyes of others; try and sample the two hoods before trying to solve your problem with a plastic card. Ready readers, backlit magnifying glass or LED torch will be a cheaper solution.

The zips on BBWear & Sheriff are identical YKK, and five minutes ago I attached (without problem) a ten year-old BBWear fencing hood to a new Sheriff suit.

The BBWear hood is outstanding in one aspect: the hood does not concertina towards the face. This is true from new and remains so even though I wash suits three times a week (with hoods attached) and have done so for years.

In contrast, the hood on my Sheriff collapses (and did so from new) and I find it irritating as it results in a reduction of light through the mesh. Saw a brand new Sheriff in action the other day and it had the same collapse to the veil wires.

Beware of judging quality through the eyes of others; try and sample the two hoods before trying to solve your problem with a plastic card. Ready readers, backlit magnifying glass or LED torch will be a cheaper solution.
That's amazing coincidence that they fit exactly!

Both good suits and I have used both regularly. The sheriff probably does have a slightly "brighter" veil mesh, but it is not as robust as the BB wear. both are better than the cheap offerings. If you can not see eggs with the BB wear I don't think a different veil will fix it ( unless it has varifocal lenses built in).

the BBwear folk were once part of Sheriff
Belinda of BBWear is the late Brian Sheriff's daughter; I understand that a family disagreement many years go led to Belinda leaving to set up BBWear. She retired last year and the company remains a family concern.

Back